Shimano's lack of innovation or Elitism?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Evan Evans, Oct 11, 2003.

  1. Evan Evans

    Evan Evans Guest

    Innovation? Who needs innovation? I long for the good old days when Campy was king. In those days
    cycling was an art form and cyclist were real men. For example , It took practice to develop the
    proper technique needed to make a clean gear change. Now its just "click",anyone can do it! The same
    go's for breaking. In the old days we didn't care if we couldn't stop in the rain. What's a little
    road rash? I wore it as a badge of courage! I was proud! Now anyone can stop anytime under any
    conditions. The passion, the adventure has all but vanished from the sport. All in the name of
    innovation. Sad how sad............

    Tags:

  2. Josh Gatts

    Josh Gatts Guest

    "Evan Evans" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Innovation? Who needs innovation? I long for the good old days when Campy was king. In those days
    > cycling was an art form and cyclist were real men. For example , It took practice to develop the
    > proper technique needed to make a clean gear change. Now its just "click",anyone can do it! The
    > same go's for breaking. In the old days we didn't care if we couldn't stop in the rain. What's a
    > little road rash? I wore it as a badge of courage! I was proud! Now anyone can stop anytime under
    > any conditions. The passion, the adventure has all but vanished from the sport. All in the name of
    > innovation. Sad how sad............

    Sounds like you need a whiff of testosterone. Check out the "Brakes on a Fixie" thread.

    --Josh

  3. "Evan Evans" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Innovation? Who needs innovation? I long for the good old days when Campy was king. In those days
    > cycling was an art form and cyclist were real men. For example , It took practice to develop the
    > proper technique needed to make a clean gear change. Now its just "click",anyone can do it! The
    > same go's for breaking. In the old days we didn't care if we couldn't stop in the rain. What's a
    > little road rash? I wore it as a badge of courage! I was proud! Now anyone can stop anytime under
    > any conditions. The passion, the adventure has all but vanished from the sport. All in the name of
    > innovation. Sad how sad............

    Riding is safer (barring cars) now than it ever has been before.

    Advice:
    1. Ride old bikes that need proper technique for a clean gear change.
    2. Crash intentionally and frequently to show off your badges of courage.
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  4. Kurd

    Kurd Guest

    Ha ha. Sarcasm. I get it.

    "Evan Evans" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Innovation? Who needs innovation? I long for the good old days when Campy was king. In those days
    > cycling was an art form and cyclist were real men. For example , It took practice to develop the
    > proper technique needed to make a clean gear change. Now its just "click",anyone can do it! The
    > same go's for breaking. In the old days we didn't care if we couldn't stop in the rain. What's a
    > little road rash? I wore it as a badge of courage! I was proud! Now anyone can stop anytime under
    > any conditions. The passion, the adventure has all but vanished from the sport. All in the name of
    > innovation. Sad how sad............

  5. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >Innovation? Who needs innovation? I long for the good old days when Campy was king. In those days
    >cycling was an art form and cyclist were real men. For example , It took practice to develop the
    >proper technique needed to make a clean gear change. Now its just "click",anyone can do it! The
    >same go's for breaking. In the old days we didn't care if we couldn't stop in the rain. What's a
    >little road rash? I wore it as a badge of courage! I was proud! Now anyone can stop anytime under
    >any conditions. The passion, the adventure has all but vanished from the sport. All in the name of
    >innovation. Sad how sad............

    You lament getting less road rash?? disconnect your front brake and ride like in the old days. Just
    don't ride near me.
    Alex