Shimsham 105 double -> triple?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by ant evans, Jan 26, 2003.

1. ant evans

ant evans New Member

Dura Ace double and triple cranks are supposed to be identical, presumably just with extra bits on the middle chainring of a triple to attach the little one to.

Make sense?

So can you do the same for 105, which is geometrically identical?

I hate to spoil the clean lines of my yearling thoroughbred etc etc but I have knee trouble, which you can read about elsewhere.

I also don't like Shimano's rear ratios (they have 2-tooth gaps exactly where you spend most time in the real world (5th and 6th)) so I need to go to closer ratios. That also sounds like another thread.

ant

Tags:

2. maarten

maarten New Member

You can buy separate cogs miche has every cog you might want with shimano passing between 11 and 26(and even some bigger)

you can make a 14-16-18-19-20-21-22-23-24(9-speed) casette if you want to.

3. ant evans

ant evans New Member

<rant>
    I've just got a 13-23, just to get a 16t cog (the others were a bit worn out anyway), and Shimano seem hell-bent on making it impossible to mix and match sprockets. They rivet the damned things together in arbitrary sets of 2 or 3. What the hell is wrong with them?

I can't combine the 13-23 and the 12-27 to make a 12-27 with a 15 and 15 on 5th and 6th. Thank you so much, Shimano, you
    morons.

If they were doing this to make a stiffer structure, then they wouldn't have given me a single 23 sprocket for 1st gear.

An 11 speed cassette is not going to solve this if they keep sticking the damn sprockets together. It will just mean a more expensive form of frustration.

I shall be speaking to Highpath Engineering or even Signore Campagnolo before long.
    </rant>

4. rv

rv New Member

sorry...can't make a double crankset into a triple.

if you go to a triple, you'll need a bb with a longer axel and a triple front derailluer.