shin/knee pads, tallboys, and stench

Ivan

Guest
Hi all - I've got a few questions regarding pads (in my case shin/knee
pads).

How do you keep your pads from absolutely reeking? I've got a local
trail that is rather high on the technical requirements during the
uphill and downhill sections. (Templeton trail in Palmer park for you
front range chuggers, err, locals)

The not so simple question is, what do tall people do about the
(relative) shortness of shin/knee pads? I bought a pair of 661
shin/knee pads due ot their low cost (20$ down from 50$) knowing that
they didn't fit quite right. When I get the knee portion up high
enough to pedal, I've got a 2-3" gap between my shoes and the bottom
of the pad (my inseam is 36"). I'm debating removing the knee pad
(pad and material) so the low part of my shin will be protected.

THoughts?

Ivan wrote:
> Hi all - I've got a few questions regarding pads (in my case shin/knee
> pads).
>
> How do you keep your pads from absolutely reeking? I've got a local
> trail that is rather high on the technical requirements during the
> uphill and downhill sections. (Templeton trail in Palmer park for you
> front range chuggers, err, locals)
>
> The not so simple question is, what do tall people do about the
> (relative) shortness of shin/knee pads? I bought a pair of 661
> shin/knee pads due ot their low cost (20$ down from 50$) knowing that
> they didn't fit quite right. When I get the knee portion up high
> enough to pedal, I've got a 2-3" gap between my shoes and the bottom
> of the pad (my inseam is 36"). I'm debating removing the knee pad
> (pad and material) so the low part of my shin will be protected.
>
> THoughts?

I think that you'll find that the lower 2-3" of leg rarely takes a
debilitating flesh-gouging hit. Those usually happen a bit further up the
leg. The pads should work just fine as long as they sit well against your
leg and don't move around.
Reeking? As from sweat? How about washing and leaving in an airy, warm
place to dry?
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

<snip>

> I think that you'll find that the lower 2-3" of leg rarely takes a
> debilitating flesh-gouging hit. Those usually happen a bit further up the
> leg. The pads should work just fine as long as they sit well against your
> leg and don't move around.
> Reeking? As from sweat? How about washing and leaving in an airy, warm
> place to dry?

Sounds good about the washing. I'm just a cheap ******* that doesn't
want to have long term washings destroy the foam or what not in the
pads.

Ivan wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> I think that you'll find that the lower 2-3" of leg rarely takes a
>> debilitating flesh-gouging hit. Those usually happen a bit further
>> up the leg. The pads should work just fine as long as they sit well
>> against your leg and don't move around.
>> Reeking? As from sweat? How about washing and leaving in an airy,
>> warm place to dry?

> Sounds good about the washing. I'm just a cheap ******* that doesn't
> want to have long term washings destroy the foam or what not in the
> pads.

Washings don't destroy as long as you use regular laundry detergent.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Westie wrote:
> Ivan wrote:
>> Hi all - I've got a few questions regarding pads (in my case
>> shin/knee pads).
>>
>> How do you keep your pads from absolutely reeking? I've got a local
>> trail that is rather high on the technical requirements during the
>> uphill and downhill sections. (Templeton trail in Palmer park for
>> you front range chuggers, err, locals)
>>
>> The not so simple question is, what do tall people do about the
>> (relative) shortness of shin/knee pads? I bought a pair of 661
>> shin/knee pads due ot their low cost (20$ down from 50$) knowing that
>> they didn't fit quite right. When I get the knee portion up high
>> enough to pedal, I've got a 2-3" gap between my shoes and the bottom
>> of the pad (my inseam is 36"). I'm debating removing the knee pad
>> (pad and material) so the low part of my shin will be protected.
>>
>> THoughts?

> I think that you'll find that the lower 2-3" of leg rarely takes a
> debilitating flesh-gouging hit. Those usually happen a bit further

I have a recovering 5" gash up my leg because the pedal pins started under
the shinguards and plowed the sharp pins through my meat underneath the
guard.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

ZeeExSixAre wrote:
> Westie wrote:

>> I think that you'll find that the lower 2-3" of leg rarely takes a
>> debilitating flesh-gouging hit. Those usually happen a bit further

> I have a recovering 5" gash up my leg because the pedal pins started
> under the shinguards and plowed the sharp pins through my meat
> underneath the guard.

Oh well. There's always one, isn't there? ;-)
--

[email protected] (Ivan) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi all - I've got a few questions regarding pads (in my case shin/knee
> pads).
>
> How do you keep your pads from absolutely reeking? I've got a local
> trail that is rather high on the technical requirements during the
> uphill and downhill sections. (Templeton trail in Palmer park for you
> front range chuggers, err, locals)
>
> The not so simple question is, what do tall people do about the
> (relative) shortness of shin/knee pads? I bought a pair of 661
> shin/knee pads due ot their low cost (20$ down from 50$) knowing that
> they didn't fit quite right. When I get the knee portion up high
> enough to pedal, I've got a 2-3" gap between my shoes and the bottom
> of the pad (my inseam is 36"). I'm debating removing the knee pad
> (pad and material) so the low part of my shin will be protected.
>
> THoughts?

Dress to ride, not to crash and get some bike skills. No punk pads = no extra odor.

JD

> >> I think that you'll find that the lower 2-3" of leg rarely takes a
> >> debilitating flesh-gouging hit. Those usually happen a bit further

> > I have a recovering 5" gash up my leg because the pedal pins started
> > under the shinguards and plowed the sharp pins through my meat
> > underneath the guard.

> Oh well. There's always one, isn't there? ;-)

Yup. Needless to say that the one-in-a-million stories get me. 90%
of my riding is with clipless so I'm a bit thrown when I look down and
see spikes, errr, allen screws staring up at me. Think I may try to
"remove" the knee section (as the pads aren't for crashing just
keeping the flesh from looking like hamburger).