Shin protection.

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by juggle508, May 29, 2004.

  1. juggle508

    juggle508 Guest

    I am wanting to buy some shin guards and I found some. Are SIXSIXONE 4
    by 4 Knee and Shin guards very good? Is it still easy to bend your knee
    or are they not very flexible? Just wondering.

    --
    juggle508 - Unicycling Fanatic

    My goal is for people to start seeing an extreme sport and forget about
    the circus.
    juggle508's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6701

  2. spyder

    spyder Guest

  3. tom_edmonds

    tom_edmonds Guest

    ive worn mine for about 8 hours before and it didnt bother me too much,
    i forget im wearing them half the time.... only thing is when you take
    them off, have a bucket ready to catch the sopius amounts of liquid
    lost.

    --
    tom_edmonds - Finally...less talking, more riding

    "rest and elevation" we know its all we'll be told, so why do we still
    go and wait in A&E all day?
    tom_edmonds's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3992

  4. munimanpete

    munimanpete Guest

    I find my 4x4's fine, they're really comfortable and make you so much
    more confident. But yeah to answer your question they're fine.

    --
    munimanpete - come on and do the muni

    "Look mum, that boy's on a circus bike"
    munimanpete's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6311

  5. juggle508

    juggle508 Guest

  6. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    The 661 4x4 pads are good, as long as they fit you. If they don't fit
    correctly they aren't going to be as good. Make sure they're long
    enough so they won't slide down your leg and expose the tops of your
    knee during a crash.

    The 661 4x4 pads shouldn't restrict your knee movement. If you have fat
    legs then they may be more snug than they should be and could be
    uncomfortable.

    Best bet is to try them on at a bike shop. More and more bike shops are
    carrying armor now so it's easy to try things out first. There are also
    more and more armor choices than there were just a few years ago. Look
    and see what's available. You might see something that fits you better.
    Just look for protection for the back of the leg too. That's one big
    benefit the 661/Roach/KH armor -- it also protects the back of your
    calf. A lot of other armor leaves the back of your calf open to nasty
    pedal scrapes.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  7. tennisgh22

    tennisgh22 Guest

    john_childs wrote:
    > * That's one big benefit the 661/Roach/KH armor -- it also protects
    > the back of your calf. A lot of other armor leaves the back of your
    > calf open to nasty pedal scrapes. *

    sorry for resurrecting this thread--

    my new kh24 gives really nasty pedal bites. so far i've had about 6 bad
    ones that have drawn blood, 5 of which have been on my calves. so my
    question is, which armor is the best at providing *calf* protection.

    it seems we have two contradicting reviews of the 661.

    j_c says it "protects the back of your calf".

    harper says "No calf protection" in his review.

    which is it? do the veggies protect the calf better than the 661? any
    other brands of armour i should think about?

    -grant

    --
    tennisgh22 - Haha you fool

    The word gullible is written above my avatar!
    tennisgh22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5771

  8. TheBadger587

    TheBadger587 Guest

    Your calf is it's own calf protection, the only thing you need is
    something to prevent the skin from breaking. other than that the muscle
    on your calf absorbs most of the shock of an impact. i've found the
    sixsixone's protect really well, and are very comfortable (especially
    with the top 2 straps left undone.)

    --
    TheBadger587

    MUni every day.
    TheBadger587's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5576

  9. digigal1

    digigal1 Guest

    I wanted padding in the back to avoid bruises as well as scrapes.

    I looked at the 4x4s (knee/shin protection) but never tried them on
    because they looked like they only had a bit of stretchy material on the
    back, no padding.

    I tried the veggies (shin protection), which did have some padding in
    the back, but the large's weren't big enough for me, I could barely get
    the velcro together. I don't think I have huge calves, but I don't
    know. Also FYI, they are lighter weight with no hard plastic shin
    protector, but would have been fine for me.

    I went with the lizard skins, (shin protection) which are larger than
    the veggies, had good padding in the back, are comfortable, and the fact
    they don't have knee protection was fine because I already had an old
    pair of rollerblade knee pads. They do have a sort of strange shin
    protection though - the removable inner hard plastic is shaped like a
    "V" around your shin, instead of a flatter "U".

    --
    digigal1 - You call this middle age??

    Omni for Uni and Uni for Omni!
    digigal1's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5848

  10. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    digigal1 wrote:
    > *I wanted padding in the back to avoid bruises as well as scrapes.
    >
    > I looked at the 4x4s (knee/shin protection) but never tried them on
    > because they looked like they only had a bit of stretchy material on
    > the back, no padding. *

    The 4x4's have plenty of calf protection. You don't need padding back
    there, you just need protection to keep the pedal pins from cutting into
    your skin. I've never hit the back of my calf hard enough with the
    pedal to get a bruise. There is no real need for padding back there. I
    have hit the back of my calf with my pedals and the 661 4x4's did what
    they were supposed to do and protected me from the pedal pins. They've
    saved me from some clumsy crashes that probably would have caused me to
    need stitches on my calf if I wasn't wearing them. Don't be put off by
    the fact that there is no actual foam or plastic padding protecting your
    calf.

    If you're practicing uni spins then maybe you'll want some pads that
    have padding around the back of the calf. But for muni and trials the
    4x4's will have plenty of calf protection.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  11. what Iv seen done, was to wear either roach or 661 4x4's, and then put
    on some cheap soccer shin guards backwards, so they protect you're calf
    instead. I havent personally tried it, but it's an option. I have
    never had a problem with the back of my roach not being protective
    enough though.

    --
    Max_Dingemans - Hey Look, who's that?

    BLAH!
    Max_Dingemans's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1981

  12. Don

    Don Guest

    I play hockey and a trick I learned to protect my calf's... is to buy one of
    those cheap foam pads that are made to go under a sleeping bag, and cut out
    2 pieces to fit your calf's, then slide them under your shin guard straps.
    "Max_Dingemans" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > what Iv seen done, was to wear either roach or 661 4x4's, and then put
    > on some cheap soccer shin guards backwards, so they protect you're calf
    > instead. I havent personally tried it, but it's an option. I have
    > never had a problem with the back of my roach not being protective
    > enough though.
    >

    > --
    > Max_Dingemans - Hey Look, who's that?
    >
    > BLAH!
    > Max_Dingemans's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1981
    > View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/32788

  13. TheBadger587

    TheBadger587 Guest

    john_childs wrote:
    > * Make sure they're long enough so they won't slide down your leg and
    > expose the tops of your knee during a crash. *

    I thought i could make my 4x4's more comfortable by leaving the straps
    that tighten the guards to your knee undone, this worked until i
    actually crashed... skid directly on my exposed knee in loose dirt for 8
    feet... it's ok to leave those straps undone for trials though.

    --
    TheBadger587

    MUni every day.
    TheBadger587's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5576

  14. digigal1

    digigal1 Guest

    john_childs wrote:
    > *
    > The 4x4's have plenty of calf protection. You don't need padding
    > back there, you just need protection to keep the pedal pins from
    > cutting into your skin. I've never hit the back of my calf hard
    > enough with the pedal to get a bruise. There is no real need for
    > padding back there. If you're practicing uni spins then maybe you'll
    > want some pads that have padding around the back of the calf. But for
    > muni and trials the 4x4's will have plenty of calf protection. *

    I know you are a unigod, John, but as a total newbie I have to disagree.
    The reason I wanted to buy guards in the first place was not because I
    banged my shins, but specifically because I had bruises all over the
    back of my legs. And all I was doing was learning to unicycle, nothing
    crazy like unispins. Maybe I'm just a klutz, but based on my personal
    experience, if a person hasn't purchased anything yet, it won't hurt to
    get something with calf protection.

    --
    digigal1 - You call this middle age??

    Omni for Uni and Uni for Omni!
    digigal1's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5848

  15. TheBadger587

    TheBadger587 Guest

    digigal, you've actually gotten bruised from the pedal hitting the back
    of your leg? sixsixone's will prevent all kinds of cuts on the back of
    the leg, but as far as bruises go... wear soccer shin guards backwards.
    i just didn't think calf bruises actually happened.

    --
    TheBadger587

    MUni every day.
    TheBadger587's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5576

  16. daino149

    daino149 Guest

    TheBadger587 wrote:
    > *digigal, you've actually gotten bruised from the pedal hitting the
    > back of your leg? sixsixone's will prevent all kinds of cuts on the
    > back of the leg, but as far as bruises go... wear soccer shin guards
    > backwards. i just didn't think calf bruises actually happened. *

    Calf bruises don't happen!? You should have been at juggling club last
    night! Where were you anyway?
    I was practicing wheelwalking when my foot slipped. My left ankle got
    itself lodged between my frame and my crank. My weight was still on the
    saddle and that cause the crank and pedal to cinch down on my poor
    exposed calf. I was stuck in that position for a few second before I
    managed to fall.

    Calf bruises don't happen, pfft.

    Daniel

    --
    daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

    Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino Updated: 04.07.03
    Kaena
    Bugman - "if you are a little left of them, it would seem like they are
    on the right"
    Sig count: 2

    04.05.23 11214
    04.05.25 11284
    04.05.26 11329

  17. TheBadger587

    TheBadger587 Guest

    calf bruises don't happen.......to me
    i guess i'm alone, but my calves are the most scratched, least bruised
    parts of my entire lower body. sorry i missed juggling club, i was
    really tired from riding all day, didn't want to miss a steak dinner,
    and both ikaika and corey bailed on it, so i decided to get some sleep.
    that sounds like a pretty bad mugging you took. i'll definitely be there
    next week though, hopefully.

    --
    TheBadger587

    MUni every day.
    TheBadger587's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5576

  18. digigal1

    digigal1 Guest

    TheBadger587 wrote:
    > *digigal, you've actually gotten bruised from the pedal hitting the
    > back of your leg? *

    Yup. It wouldn't even hurt when it happened, but the next day, there
    they were. In all their purple and brown gloriousness.

    --
    digigal1 - You call this middle age??

    Omni for Uni and Uni for Omni!
    digigal1's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5848

  19. darchibald

    darchibald Guest

    My shins are torn to crap, but my calves are fine. maybe it has
    something to do with riding styles.

    David

    --
    darchibald - Unofficial level 4.6

    "Testacles still intact" ~ My mom's reaction after watching me do a
    suicide mount.
    darchibald's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6240

  20. TheBadger587

    TheBadger587 Guest