Shin protection.

juggle508

Guest
I am wanting to buy some shin guards and I found some. Are SIXSIXONE 4
by 4 Knee and Shin guards very good? Is it still easy to bend your knee
or are they not very flexible? Just wondering.

--
juggle508 - Unicycling Fanatic

My goal is for people to start seeing an extreme sport and forget about
the circus.
juggle508's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6701

ive worn mine for about 8 hours before and it didnt bother me too much,
i forget im wearing them half the time.... only thing is when you take
them off, have a bucket ready to catch the sopius amounts of liquid
lost.

--
tom_edmonds - Finally...less talking, more riding

"rest and elevation" we know its all we'll be told, so why do we still
go and wait in A&E all day?
tom_edmonds's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3992

The 661 4x4 pads are good, as long as they fit you. If they don't fit
correctly they aren't going to be as good. Make sure they're long
enough so they won't slide down your leg and expose the tops of your
knee during a crash.

The 661 4x4 pads shouldn't restrict your knee movement. If you have fat
legs then they may be more snug than they should be and could be
uncomfortable.

Best bet is to try them on at a bike shop. More and more bike shops are
carrying armor now so it's easy to try things out first. There are also
more and more armor choices than there were just a few years ago. Look
and see what's available. You might see something that fits you better.
Just look for protection for the back of the leg too. That's one big
benefit the 661/Roach/KH armor -- it also protects the back of your
calf. A lot of other armor leaves the back of your calf open to nasty
pedal scrapes.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

john_childs wrote:
> * That's one big benefit the 661/Roach/KH armor -- it also protects
> the back of your calf. A lot of other armor leaves the back of your
> calf open to nasty pedal scrapes. *

sorry for resurrecting this thread--

my new kh24 gives really nasty pedal bites. so far i've had about 6 bad
ones that have drawn blood, 5 of which have been on my calves. so my
question is, which armor is the best at providing *calf* protection.

it seems we have two contradicting reviews of the 661.

j_c says it "protects the back of your calf".

harper says "No calf protection" in his review.

which is it? do the veggies protect the calf better than the 661? any
other brands of armour i should think about?

-grant

--
tennisgh22 - Haha you fool

The word gullible is written above my avatar!
tennisgh22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5771

Your calf is it's own calf protection, the only thing you need is
something to prevent the skin from breaking. other than that the muscle
on your calf absorbs most of the shock of an impact. i've found the
sixsixone's protect really well, and are very comfortable (especially
with the top 2 straps left undone.)

--
TheBadger587

MUni every day.
TheBadger587's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5576

I wanted padding in the back to avoid bruises as well as scrapes.

I looked at the 4x4s (knee/shin protection) but never tried them on
because they looked like they only had a bit of stretchy material on the
back, no padding.

I tried the veggies (shin protection), which did have some padding in
the back, but the large's weren't big enough for me, I could barely get
the velcro together. I don't think I have huge calves, but I don't
know. Also FYI, they are lighter weight with no hard plastic shin
protector, but would have been fine for me.

I went with the lizard skins, (shin protection) which are larger than
the veggies, had good padding in the back, are comfortable, and the fact
they don't have knee protection was fine because I already had an old
pair of rollerblade knee pads. They do have a sort of strange shin
protection though - the removable inner hard plastic is shaped like a
"V" around your shin, instead of a flatter "U".

--
digigal1 - You call this middle age??

Omni for Uni and Uni for Omni!
digigal1's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5848

digigal1 wrote:
> *I wanted padding in the back to avoid bruises as well as scrapes.
>
> I looked at the 4x4s (knee/shin protection) but never tried them on
> because they looked like they only had a bit of stretchy material on
> the back, no padding. *

The 4x4's have plenty of calf protection. You don't need padding back
there, you just need protection to keep the pedal pins from cutting into
your skin. I've never hit the back of my calf hard enough with the
pedal to get a bruise. There is no real need for padding back there. I
have hit the back of my calf with my pedals and the 661 4x4's did what
they were supposed to do and protected me from the pedal pins. They've
saved me from some clumsy crashes that probably would have caused me to
need stitches on my calf if I wasn't wearing them. Don't be put off by
the fact that there is no actual foam or plastic padding protecting your
calf.

If you're practicing uni spins then maybe you'll want some pads that
have padding around the back of the calf. But for muni and trials the
4x4's will have plenty of calf protection.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

what Iv seen done, was to wear either roach or 661 4x4's, and then put
on some cheap soccer shin guards backwards, so they protect you're calf
instead. I havent personally tried it, but it's an option. I have
never had a problem with the back of my roach not being protective
enough though.

--
Max_Dingemans - Hey Look, who's that?

BLAH!
Max_Dingemans's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1981

I play hockey and a trick I learned to protect my calf's... is to buy one of
those cheap foam pads that are made to go under a sleeping bag, and cut out
2 pieces to fit your calf's, then slide them under your shin guard straps.
news:[email protected]...

john_childs wrote:
> * Make sure they're long enough so they won't slide down your leg and
> expose the tops of your knee during a crash. *

I thought i could make my 4x4's more comfortable by leaving the straps
that tighten the guards to your knee undone, this worked until i
actually crashed... skid directly on my exposed knee in loose dirt for 8
feet... it's ok to leave those straps undone for trials though.

--

john_childs wrote:
> *
> The 4x4's have plenty of calf protection. You don't need padding
> back there, you just need protection to keep the pedal pins from
> cutting into your skin. I've never hit the back of my calf hard
> enough with the pedal to get a bruise. There is no real need for
> padding back there. If you're practicing uni spins then maybe you'll
> want some pads that have padding around the back of the calf. But for
> muni and trials the 4x4's will have plenty of calf protection. *

I know you are a unigod, John, but as a total newbie I have to disagree.
The reason I wanted to buy guards in the first place was not because I
banged my shins, but specifically because I had bruises all over the
back of my legs. And all I was doing was learning to unicycle, nothing
crazy like unispins. Maybe I'm just a klutz, but based on my personal
experience, if a person hasn't purchased anything yet, it won't hurt to
get something with calf protection.

--
digigal1 - You call this middle age??

Omni for Uni and Uni for Omni!
digigal1's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5848

digigal, you've actually gotten bruised from the pedal hitting the back
of your leg? sixsixone's will prevent all kinds of cuts on the back of
the leg, but as far as bruises go... wear soccer shin guards backwards.
i just didn't think calf bruises actually happened.

--

TheBadger587 wrote:
> *digigal, you've actually gotten bruised from the pedal hitting the
> back of your leg? sixsixone's will prevent all kinds of cuts on the
> back of the leg, but as far as bruises go... wear soccer shin guards
> backwards. i just didn't think calf bruises actually happened. *

Calf bruises don't happen!? You should have been at juggling club last
night! Where were you anyway?
I was practicing wheelwalking when my foot slipped. My left ankle got
itself lodged between my frame and my crank. My weight was still on the
saddle and that cause the crank and pedal to cinch down on my poor
exposed calf. I was stuck in that position for a few second before I
managed to fall.

Calf bruises don't happen, pfft.

Daniel

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino Updated: 04.07.03
Kaena
Bugman - "if you are a little left of them, it would seem like they are
on the right"
Sig count: 2

04.05.23 11214
04.05.25 11284
04.05.26 11329

calf bruises don't happen.......to me
i guess i'm alone, but my calves are the most scratched, least bruised
parts of my entire lower body. sorry i missed juggling club, i was
really tired from riding all day, didn't want to miss a steak dinner,
and both ikaika and corey bailed on it, so i decided to get some sleep.
that sounds like a pretty bad mugging you took. i'll definitely be there
next week though, hopefully.

--

TheBadger587 wrote:
> *digigal, you've actually gotten bruised from the pedal hitting the
> back of your leg? *

Yup. It wouldn't even hurt when it happened, but the next day, there
they were. In all their purple and brown gloriousness.