shin splint update

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Joe, Feb 28, 2004.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    I think I've come down with stress fracture in my right tibia. Started out with a shin splint and
    then developed into a very localized tender spot. I've ruled out it being anything else, unless its
    the bone sheath. I ran on it for about 10 days (~80miles) before I finally stopped. I'm seven weeks
    out from Boston as of this next monday.

    What are my chances at salvaging the race? I could do elliptical and pool running, but I think I
    could lose my mind really fast.

    I was in great shape for this race and I have never been so depressed about something. I mean, I was
    in really great shape, racing and training-wise. Everything was pointing at a great race in April
    and now I've got to throw it all away because I didn't listen to my body and wife.

    Tags:

  2. Bill

    Bill Guest

    "Joe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I think I've come down with stress fracture in my right tibia. Started
    out
    > with a shin splint and then developed into a very localized tender spot. I've ruled out it being
    > anything else, unless its the bone sheath. I ran
    on
    > it for about 10 days (~80miles) before I finally stopped. I'm seven weeks out from Boston as of
    > this next monday.
    >
    > What are my chances at salvaging the race? I could do elliptical and pool running, but I think I
    > could lose my mind really fast.
    >
    > I was in great shape for this race and I have never been so depressed
    about
    > something. I mean, I was in really great shape, racing and training-wise. Everything was pointing
    > at a great race in April and now I've got to throw it all away because I didn't listen to my body
    > and wife.

    On the off chance you do NOT have a fracture, you could confirm this with a medical diagnosis, cross
    train hard, do some tuneup runs and race without fear of serious damage.

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Joe wrote:
    > I think I've come down with stress fracture in my right tibia. Started out with a shin splint and
    > then developed into a very localized tender spot. I've ruled out it being anything else, unless
    > its the bone sheath. I ran on it for about 10 days (~80miles) before I finally stopped. I'm seven
    > weeks out from Boston as of this next monday.

    See a doc and make sure it's really a stress fracture. I had a heart-stopping experience where I mis-
    diagnosed tendonitis ("shin splints") as a stress fracture. I recovered from my "stress fracture"
    with a 5 day layoff.

    > What are my chances at salvaging the race? I could do elliptical and pool running, but I think I
    > could lose my mind really fast.

    Sounds to me like a fairly high risk proposition, and you might not run a great time. So if you
    consider yourself risk-averse, the answer is "no", and read no further.

    Still reading ? If it's your first marathon and you don't have big expectations, it still could be a
    good experience, provided you don't re-injure yourself. What you're proposing doesn't sound
    impossible to me, though it's way outside the bounds of "conventional wisdom" (and probably any
    other type of wisdom)

    If the fracture heals in 4 weeks, *and* you're feeling fantastic on the morning of the race, *and*
    your gut tells you to go and race, maybe you should do it-- but again, it is a risky proposition.
    Are you a betting man ? I've taken risks and raced just after recovering from injury -- the reason
    was that the layoff was short, and I figured I'd still run a good time. I ran a very good time, but
    I knew that I was taking a risk.

    You also have to ask, "what you lose by *not* racing ?" Can you run a marathon in Fall instead ?
    (But it won't be Boston ... you'd need another year for that) You've got to decide whether or not
    stomaching the wait is worse than taking your chances on this race. No-one can answer this for you,
    because it all boils down to your own gut feelings and how willing you are to gamble. Your layoff
    will probably be long enough to hurt your performance, so you've got to take this into account.

    Cheers,

  4. Joe

    Joe Guest

    > See a doc and make sure it's really a stress fracture. I had a
    heart-stopping
    > experience where I mis-diagnosed tendonitis ("shin splints") as a stress fracture. I recovered
    > from my "stress fracture" with a 5 day layoff.

    did you have localized pain along the bone? I've been off (other than x-training) for about four
    days and feel a little relief, but not a lot.

    I decided I am going to bite the bullet and go to the doc. I found out my university has a clinic
    that is free to students and they have sports med services there.

    thanks, jOe

  5. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    "Joe" <[email protected]> wrote in news:9Qq0c.33602$LD5.2433
    @twister.rdc-kc.rr.com:

    > I decided I am going to bite the bullet and go to the doc.

    I hear they have anesthesia these days. No bullet needed. Good luck and let us know how it goes. ;-)

    Phil

    --
    If all our misfortunes were laid in one common heap whence everyone must
    take an equal portion, most people would be contented to take their own and

  6. Matty G

    Matty G Guest

    Good to hear you've finally gone to see the doctor, you can't stuff around with niggles and injuries
    and it's no point trying to guess what the problem
    is. Once you know what you've got you can decide what action you need to take. Don't get too down,
    it's all just part of the ups and downs of being a runner which I guess is part of what makes
    the sport so great!

  7. In article <[email protected]>, Joe wrote:

    >> See a doc and make sure it's really a stress fracture. I had a
    > heart-stopping
    >> experience where I mis-diagnosed tendonitis ("shin splints") as a stress fracture. I recovered
    >> from my "stress fracture" with a 5 day layoff.
    >
    > did you have localized pain along the bone? I've been off (other than x-training) for about four
    > days and feel a little relief, but not a lot.

    It was a very sharp pain towards the bottom of my shin and felt completely unlike achilles
    tendonitis (which is a blunt pain). It was the location that led me to wrongly believe I had a
    stress fracture.

    > I decided I am going to bite the bullet and go to the doc. I found out my university has a clinic
    > that is free to students and they have sports med services there.

    Sounds great. Good luck, and I hope it's something else.

    Cheers,