Shin Splints-HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Joe, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    I'm running Boston this year and have come down with a case of shin splints. It is located in my
    right leg, anterior to my tibia. I was stupid and continued to run on it for about 10 days. Now it
    hurts a lot and has localized in one part of my shin.

    I am going to take off until this thing heals up. I plan on water running 1-2 hours a day and biking
    1 hour a day until I heal up.

    I was planning on running a sub 3 at Boston. Is this still attainable or do I have to just plan on
    running to finish.

    Any idea on how long it will take me to heal up? I am young (24) and have quite a knack for
    healing fast.

    Other than icing, NSAIDs, and rest; what else can I do?

    Thanks, joe

    Tags:

  2. TopCounsel

    TopCounsel Guest

    >Other than icing, NSAIDs, and rest; what else can I do?

    Have you figured out what the underlying cause of the shin splint pain is? If you don't, all the
    rest and cross-training in the world won't necessarily stop you from getting a reoccurrence during
    your 26.2-mile race. Shin splints can arise from form problems, e.g., overstriding (leveraging your
    lead leg too far ahead). Ozzie Gontang's FAQ for this NG has a somewhat different take on shin
    splints, though, blaming it on muscle imbalance, recommending stretching and a heel wedge. While you
    are not running, I would be damn sure you figure the cause out and correct it (that may be more
    important than resting!). Obviously, overstriding (if that's it) can be corrected by shortening up
    your stride and increasing your step frequency to compensate. I have also heard from others who've
    said that changing your landings (less heel, more midfoot/forefoot) can solve this problem.

  3. Matty G

    Matty G Guest

    Treatment from the physio- massage, ultrasound etc will help but if the pain has become localized
    I'd look at getting a bone scan as it may have developed into a stress fracture. I suffered the same
    problem had a scan last week and are now having a six week lay off due to a stress fracture. Don't
    try guessing what it is, get a scan and know what you are dealing with. Once you are running again
    stick to grass where possible, rotate a couple of pairs of shoes, correct your technique and check
    your running mechanics..

    Joe wrote in message ...
    >I'm running Boston this year and have come down with a case of shin
    splints.
    >It is located in my right leg, anterior to my tibia. I was stupid and continued to run on it for
    >about 10 days. Now it hurts a lot and has localized in one part of my shin.
    >
    >I am going to take off until this thing heals up. I plan on water running 1-2 hours a day and
    >biking 1 hour a day until I heal up.
    >
    >I was planning on running a sub 3 at Boston. Is this still attainable or
    do
    >I have to just plan on running to finish.
    >
    >Any idea on how long it will take me to heal up? I am young (24) and have quite a knack for
    >healing fast.
    >
    >Other than icing, NSAIDs, and rest; what else can I do?
    >
    >Thanks, joe

  4. Joe

    Joe Guest

    So what is the outlook on recovery? I did some eliptical and water running tonight without
    any problems.

    I'm paranoid I have a stress fracture. I can feel some pain on a localized part of my tibia, but it
    also hurts in the muscle and fascia. I'm so freaking worried. I don't have any health insurance, so
    I can't afford to see a sports med or get an x-ray. (need nationalized health insurance).

    I really want to do well at Boston and may have to kiss it goodbye now.

    Sorry for venting so much here, I'm just nervous.

    Joe

    "Joe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Luu%[email protected]...
    > I'm running Boston this year and have come down with a case of shin
    splints.
    > It is located in my right leg, anterior to my tibia. I was stupid and continued to run on it for
    > about 10 days. Now it hurts a lot and has localized in one part of my shin.
    >
    > I am going to take off until this thing heals up. I plan on water running 1-2 hours a day and
    > biking 1 hour a day until I heal up.
    >
    > I was planning on running a sub 3 at Boston. Is this still attainable or
    do
    > I have to just plan on running to finish.
    >
    > Any idea on how long it will take me to heal up? I am young (24) and have quite a knack for
    > healing fast.
    >
    > Other than icing, NSAIDs, and rest; what else can I do?
    >
    > Thanks, joe

  5. Nes

    Nes Guest

    Oh you want info on PREVENTING shin splints? I can advise you on getting them.

    "Joe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<Luu%[email protected]>...
    > I'm running Boston this year and have come down with a case of shin splints. It is located in my
    > right leg, anterior to my tibia. I was stupid and continued to run on it for about 10 days. Now it
    > hurts a lot and has localized in one part of my shin.
    >
    > I am going to take off until this thing heals up. I plan on water running 1-2 hours a day and
    > biking 1 hour a day until I heal up.
    >
    > I was planning on running a sub 3 at Boston. Is this still attainable or do I have to just plan on
    > running to finish.
    >
    > Any idea on how long it will take me to heal up? I am young (24) and have quite a knack for
    > healing fast.
    >
    > Other than icing, NSAIDs, and rest; what else can I do?
    >
    > Thanks, joe

  6. Matty G

    Matty G Guest

    A bone scan is the only way to really tell. An old method of testing is using a musical tuning fork.
    Make it vibrate then hold it to the bone and see if the vibration makes the area hurt. I'm currently
    doing pool running, wights, circuits and bike riding to keep fit. 6 weeks is the norm for a stress
    fracture then build up slowly again, sticking to gress etc.

    Joe wrote in message ...
    >So what is the outlook on recovery? I did some eliptical and water running tonight without any
    >problems.
    >
    >I'm paranoid I have a stress fracture. I can feel some pain on a localized part of my tibia, but it
    >also hurts in the muscle and fascia. I'm so freaking worried. I don't have any health insurance, so
    >I can't afford to see a sports med or get an x-ray. (need nationalized health insurance).
    >
    >I really want to do well at Boston and may have to kiss it goodbye now.
    >
    >Sorry for venting so much here, I'm just nervous.
    >
    >Joe
    >
    >"Joe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Luu%[email protected]...
    >> I'm running Boston this year and have come down with a case of shin
    >splints.
    >> It is located in my right leg, anterior to my tibia. I was stupid and continued to run on it for
    >> about 10 days. Now it hurts a lot and has localized in one part of my shin.
    >>
    >> I am going to take off until this thing heals up. I plan on water
    running
    >> 1-2 hours a day and biking 1 hour a day until I heal up.
    >>
    >> I was planning on running a sub 3 at Boston. Is this still attainable or
    >do
    >> I have to just plan on running to finish.
    >>
    >> Any idea on how long it will take me to heal up? I am young (24) and
    have
    >> quite a knack for healing fast.
    >>
    >> Other than icing, NSAIDs, and rest; what else can I do?
    >>
    >> Thanks, joe

  7. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    TopCounsel wrote:

    >>Other than icing, NSAIDs, and rest; what else can I do?
    >

    > Have you figured out what the underlying cause of the shin splint pain is? If you don't, all the
    > rest and cross-training in the world won't necessarily stop you from getting a reoccurrence during
    > your 26.2-mile race.

    Amen, find the cause!

    Some reading help: http://www.drpribut.com/sports/spshin.html http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/0161-shin-splints-
    treatment.ht

  8. Robert Karp

    Robert Karp Guest

    "Joe" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm running Boston this year and have come down with a case of shin splints. It is located in my
    >right leg, anterior to my tibia. I was stupid and continued to run on it for about 10 days. Now it
    >hurts a lot and has localized in one part of my shin.

    You're not going to like this but it sounds an awful lot like a stress fracture to me. I had one in
    2001 and I would have described my symptoms similarly. (I ran on mine for a couple of months,
    though, so you're fortunate to have stopped much earlier.) It took me 10 weeks to recover from my
    fracture. Without knowing for certain what it is, it's going to be really difficult for you to
    decide what to do. If it's a fracture, you've got to stay off of it until it heals and the only way
    you'll know that is to get professional treatment. You can run on shin splints (i.e., soft tissue
    trauma only), though I wouldn't advise it. But without a proper diagnosis, how will you know what to
    do? From my personal experience, that localization you describe is the defining symptom and if
    professional treatment is out of the question I'd consider it a fracture and think of the 2005
    Boston. Sorry.

    Robert