Shin Splints?

drewkrew

Aug 26, 2004
I'm new to cycling and after my first 25 mile ride I developed pains in my shins.
Its been about a week since the ride and the shin pain is still there when i apply presure. I have had shin splints when i used to run but I didn't know you could get them from cycling. I am considering having orthotics made for my feet I think this might help as my feet are flat. Any sugestions would be appreciated.

drewkrew said:
I'm new to cycling and after my first 25 mile ride I developed pains in my shins.
Its been about a week since the ride and the shin pain is still there when i apply presure. I have had shin splints when i used to run but I didn't know you could get them from cycling. I am considering having orthotics made for my feet I think this might help as my feet are flat. Any sugestions would be appreciated.
http://www.teenhealth.net/Med%20Tips%20-%20Shin%20Splints.htm

that should help you ease the pain

there are exercises to build up that area resposible for the pain

Stretching and Strengthening.
For athletes recovering from MTSS, the following stretches will be effective. (Hold each for 10 seconds and repeat five times, three sets per day.)
Stand on a step with heels off the edge and lower the body so heels stretch down below the level of the step, keeping knees straight.
Stand on a step with heels off the edge. This time, squat to bend both knees to let heels stretch down below the step. The athlete should feel tightness - no pain - with these stretches.
Calf raises: Stand with both knees straight, next to a table for support. Rise up on toes and hold for five seconds and repeat 20 times. Do three sets per day. Work up to 40 to 50 calf raises per set as long as no pain is felt.
Towel curls: Set feet on a towel and flex the toes to gather the towel. The heel remains anchored on the floor

drewkrew said:

Only suggestion I have is to build your cycling legs up slowly. As a runner, you've probably got a good aerobic motor, but cycling uses the muscles differently. Just be patient with your mileage when you start up again so that you can train pain-free. Maybe do 10 mile rides, then add no more than a mile or two per week.