Shin splints

Nobody

Guest
I just went out on my first ride, about six miles, after about an eight
month hiatus. It was a moderate ride, nothing super steep, but not
completely flat, either.

I believe that I am now suffering from a mild case of shin splints. I have
never had this affliction before as a result of cycling. I used to get it
terribly at the start of basketball practice every season when I was young,
but that was a long time ago. Any comments as to how common this is, and how
I might mitigate it?

Thanks.

I can't comment on how common it is, but I had a similar injury last
summer. Make sure you do your leg stretches before and after riding. I
haven't had a reoccurrence since taking stretching more seriously.

Nobody wrote:
> I just went out on my first ride, about six miles, after about an
> eight month hiatus. It was a moderate ride, nothing super steep, but
> not completely flat, either.
>
> I believe that I am now suffering from a mild case of shin splints. I
> have never had this affliction before as a result of cycling. I used
> to get it terribly at the start of basketball practice every season
> when I was young, but that was a long time ago. Any comments as to
> how common this is, and how I might mitigate it?

Might just be sore muscles, but key is to /stretch/ like other poster said.

Also, make sure your saddle height is right, and check to see if you're
"ankling" during the pedal stroke. (Cut it out if you are! <eg> )

Chances are you'll be sore somewhere else after your next ride, so don't
sweat it!

Realist Bill

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 02:10:54 -0400, "Nobody" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I just went out on my first ride, about six miles, after about an eight
>month hiatus. It was a moderate ride, nothing super steep, but not
>completely flat, either.
>
>I believe that I am now suffering from a mild case of shin splints. I have
>never had this affliction before as a result of cycling. I used to get it
>terribly at the start of basketball practice every season when I was young,
>but that was a long time ago. Any comments as to how common this is, and how
>I might mitigate it?

You probably went out and rode about as hard as you did before the layoff? After
eight months I'd expect you'll need to readapt to the bike. Spin my friend and
take it easy, more in terms of intensity and force than in time on the bike.
Ron