Shin splints

The best cure for shin splints are rest and little to no impact on the bones. Shin splints are tiny fractures in the bone and they need time to heal before putting any additional stress on them. I wouldn't do anything in the way of exercise until they are gone. If you ignore them they will not go away and can get much much worse. Rest your legs. You'll more than likely be off the bike for a couple of weeks as a result.

I'm a football coach and see these in my kids frequently. I keep them out of practice and games at least two weeks or until they are fully healed.

plforsyth said:
Got a nasty case of shin splints above right ankle, any cures?
The explanation of what SHIN SPLINTS are (as given by Bootleg) is incorrect, but other maladies seem to have been redefined in the past several decades ...

Basically, "Shin Splints" are an adhesion of the tibialis anterior to the tibia due to lack of lubricity of the adjoining surface ... this is often due to lack of prior use at the level the 'athlete' is suddenly subjecting the area to.

Rest will certainly seem to help ...

But, continued activity during the suggested rest period probably won't affect when the pain no longer occurs.

Warm up more ... much more ... then, grin-and-bear-it.

IF IT HURTS WHEN YOU AREN'T MOVING, then it may not be Shin Splints ... if you think you have stress fractures, then see a doctor.

Ice Massage to treat the area. When pain subsides 100% there is an excellent exercise you can do.

Stand with your heels on a step and toes overhanging. Drop your toes to full point and then raise them up as high as you can. Do as many reps as necessary to reach full failure once per day.

alfeng said:
The explanation of what SHIN SPLINTS are (as given by Bootleg) is incorrect, but other maladies seem to have been redefined in the past several decades ...

Basically, "Shin Splints" are an adhesion of the tibialis anterior to the tibia due to lack of lubricity of the adjoining surface ... this is often due to lack of prior use at the level the 'athlete' is suddenly subjecting the area to.

But, continued activity during the suggested rest period probably won't affect when the pain no longer occurs.

IF IT HURTS WHEN YOU AREN'T MOVING, then it may not be Shin Splints ... if you think you have stress fractures, then see a doctor.

One form of shin splints involves tibialis anterior(high up and lateral to tibia), but the more common shin splint (lower down on the medial aspect of the leg) is actually caused by inflammation to the Soleus insertion. Rest is imperative to recovery but more important is improving the flexibility of the affected muscle to stop it simply recurring.

alfeng said:

thanks for the correction. i was only regurgitating information given to me by a doctor. i have always been told to rest until the shin splints are gone before stressing the area. again, this is advise from a doctor.

go see a doctor is the best advise anyone can give you. better safe than sorry. ultimately it's your body and you're going to have to deal with the results. a real life trained medical professional should give you the advise, not a forum.