Shipping a bicycle

Krystn McCaleb

Guest
Hi,

I need to ship a nice street bicycle to Hawaii. What is the best way and shipper to use? I expect to
remove the wheels, handle bars, and pedals and pack them.

Could I get a good box at a bicycle shop?

Any help is appreciated.

Krystn

The last one I shipped I did so via Federal Express ground. There was a significant difference
between them and UPS. I would check out both (and any other carriers) of them. My bicycle and box
weighed 28 pounds combined.

"KRYSTN MCCALEB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p1Obb.554294$uu5.91929@sccrnsc04...
> Hi,
>
> I need to ship a nice street bicycle to Hawaii. What is the best way and shipper to use? I expect
> to remove the wheels, handle bars, and pedals and pack them.
>
> Could I get a good box at a bicycle shop?
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Krystn

> "KRYSTN MCCALEB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p1Obb.554294$uu5.91929@sccrnsc04...

> > I need to ship a nice street bicycle to Hawaii. What is the best way and shipper to use? I
> > expect to remove the wheels, handle bars, and pedals and pack them.

> > Could I get a good box at a bicycle shop?

You can certainly get a box. All you have to do is ask, and they'll usually point you to their
dumpster out back.

Virtually all bike shops will pack and ship a bike for you. They charge varying amounts -- our local
shop here charged me only $10, while in CA they all wanted $50 or so.

"Jim Quinn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The last one I shipped I did so via Federal Express ground. There was a significant difference
> between them and UPS. I would check out both (and any other carriers) of them. My bicycle and box
> weighed 28 pounds combined.

Yes -- the last few times I did it, Fedex Ground was quite a bit cheaper. So that's what I use now.
Most shops use UPS, but they pay wholesale rates which are cheaper. If you're doing it yourself,
Fedex Ground is the way to go.

Matt O.

KRYSTN MCCALEB wrote:

> I need to ship a nice street bicycle to Hawaii. What is the best way and shipper to use? I expect
> to remove the wheels, handle bars, and pedals and pack them.
>
> Could I get a good box at a bicycle shop?

Get in touch with someone who customarily crates and ships bicycles. A "mailing" store won't be as
savvy at this. There are numerous details, for preventing damage in transit and to keep the carton
size within freight carriers' limits, that are not obvious. Find a competent bicycle store which has
experience in shipping.

I have had very good luck using Cannondale boxes with their packing system of strapping the bike to
a pallet inside the box so it's in the middle of the box. I've done it a lot (I'm a builder) and
I've never had any damage to a bike. Phil Brown

"KRYSTN MCCALEB" <[email protected]> wrote in news:p1Obb.554294 $uu5.91929@sccrnsc04:

> Hi,
>
> I need to ship a nice street bicycle to Hawaii. What is the best way and shipper to use? I expect
> to remove the wheels, handle bars, and pedals and pack them.
>
> Could I get a good box at a bicycle shop?
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Krystn

Krystn, I've shipped road and MTN bikes to various points around the US. I've visit my LBS and got
free boxes, packed them myself and taken them to mailboxes, etc...shipped via UPS and had ZERO
problems. Most important point is packing properly and getting the thickest box possible.