shipping a bicycle?

hwttdz

Sep 28, 2003
I need to get my bicycle home during winter break. I'm flying. I've found ups would be 85 one way and 120 round trip (because they don't need the packing materials again, and I would do the packing labor). Taking it on the airline is 65 each way, Can't figure if they give you the box and shipping materials or not. Does anyone know of a cheap way to move a bike? It's ok if it takes 3-4 days or so.

Originally posted by hwttdz
I need to get my bicycle home during winter break. I'm flying. I've found ups would be 85 one way and 120 round trip (because they don't need the packing materials again, and I would do the packing labor). Taking it on the airline is 65 each way, Can't figure if they give you the box and shipping materials or not. Does anyone know of a cheap way to move a bike? It's ok if it takes 3-4 days or so.

If you are prepared to pack a bike in a bike box (usually free from your LBS) you can ship your bike FedEx Ground for around $35.00, coast to coast. I've shipped bikes from Washington State to Virginia for that amount and it took about 7 days. You could even pay your LBS to pack the bike for you and the total would probably be less than the $85 quoted you.

It's not a good idea to use UPS. I had a bike shipped from NY to WA last month and it took 20 days. They missed three delivery dates & the box was nearly torn apart. The bike went back & forth between NY & Hodgkins IL three times with the tracking site about 4 days behind & hence, totally useless. Their support site was no help and the people on phone support were very politely but completly unwilling to help.

A lot of bike shops will give you one of the boxes their bikes come in. Some will pack & ship bikes for you but I don't know at what cost.