Shipping a Pedal Pack hard case?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jb, May 10, 2003.

  1. Jb

    Jb Guest

    I'd like to sell a Pedal Pack hard case. UPS & FedEx have informed me that case dimensions exceed
    their allowable size. I'd like to know of alternate shipping sources that would accomodate this
    case. Thanks, JB

    Tags:

  2. Tbgibb

    Tbgibb Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]nk.net (JB) writes:

    >I'd like to sell a Pedal Pack hard case. UPS & FedEx have informed me that case dimensions
    >exceed their allowable size. I'd like to know of alternate shipping sources that would
    >accomodate this case.

    Check with USPS (the post office) they will ship some surprisingly sized things.

    Tom Gibb <[email protected]

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "JB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'd like to sell a Pedal Pack hard case. UPS & FedEx have informed me that case dimensions
    > exceed their allowable size. I'd like to know of alternate shipping sources that would
    > accomodate this case.

    There is may be a communication problem here. Or possibly you're volunteering too much information!

    UPS and others use a figure, comprised of the longest side in inches plus the girth in inches, to
    establish dimensional billing increments.

    A wheel box can sometimes just sneak under the first "oversize" increment of 84 inches. Once it
    goes to 84 you are billed at the 30 lb rate even if the carton is two pounds. The next increment is
    108 inches. That's about the size of a frame carton and bills at 70 pounds or actual weight
    whichever is greater.

    A standard bicycle carton is usually right at 130 inches if the designer paid attention. Road bike
    cartons are taller, mountain bike cartons are wider, generally.

    Suppposedly, no package can be longer that 60 inches on a side, nor over 130 inches total. In
    practice, cartons past the "limit" are billed $5 as a special handling charge. You just need to get
    the carton into the system, which is easy if you ship it through a reglar UPS account which commonly
    ships cartons of similar size. Drivers don't measure cartons when they pick up. Of course if you
    call and ask whether a 132 inch carton can be shipped, they will tell you it cannot.

    So how large is this thing?

    You can always just send it motor freight but the minimum billing increment is usually substantial
    compared to our needs.