Shipping / Airlines : US --) UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ronald

I hate airline bike travel prices. I hate airlines. I hate airports. I hate everything right now.

I have packed up my bike in my new Trico Iron Case, and I'm getting info from UPS that they don't
ship personal affects to the UK, because of Tarriff's and such on the item.

Fed Ex said it was too big.

I have a flight that leaves on Friday from San Jose for Chicago, and then a week later I'm leaving
from Detroit to London for a six month stint in London.

American Airlines wants to charge me $80 from San Jose to Chicago, then $110 from Detroit to
London. WTF?

Is there anything cheaper out there, any and all suggestions welcome.

If I have to live in London for six months without my Gary, I'll be really really sad ... :(

[email protected] (Ronald) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I hate airline bike travel prices. I hate airlines. I hate airports. I hate everything right now.
>
> I have packed up my bike in my new Trico Iron Case, and I'm getting info from UPS that they don't
> ship personal affects to the UK, because of Tarriff's and such on the item.
>
Que? Sounds odd to me. I've moved to the UK from overseas twice now and both times all I've had to
do is make a customs declaration to say that the goods are personal effects and that's it, no
tariffs, no duty payable, very easy. Neither time was from the USA, once from Norway the other time
from South Africa, but the forms didn't seem to make any distinction about where I was coming from
IIRC, they were more a case of just declaring personal effects.

> Fed Ex said it was too big.
>
> I have a flight that leaves on Friday from San Jose for Chicago, and then a week later I'm leaving
> from Detroit to London for a six month stint in London.
>
> American Airlines wants to charge me $80 from San Jose to Chicago, then $110 from Detroit to
> London. WTF?
>
> Is there anything cheaper out there, any and all suggestions welcome.
>
Dude, if you think $190 is too much to pay to ship a crated bicycle from California to London then
you are in for a world of **** when you pitch up over here - if you think California is expensive
just wait til you hit London.

That's small change in these parts, I'd shut your moaning to be honest, £120 to ship a crated
bicycle some 6,000 miles by air doesn't sound like a rip off to me. If you want it cheaper then send
it by sea, and be prepared to wait several weeks before it arrives.

> If I have to live in London for six months without my Gary, I'll be really really sad ... :(
>
I'm sure Gary would be very touched to read that :)

ZK

Ronald wrote:

> I hate airline bike travel prices.

> American Airlines wants to charge me $80 from San Jose to Chicago, then $110 from Detroit to
> London. WTF?
>
> Is there anything cheaper out there, any and all suggestions welcome.
>
> If I have to live in London for six months without my Gary, I'll be really really sad ... :(

Buy one, new for £2/300.

"Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I hate airline bike travel prices. I hate airlines. I hate airports. I hate everything right now.
>

*singing*

I hate teachers........I hate school.... I'm only happy when I'm in my misery CHORUS It's cool to
hate.......It's cool to hate.......

Seanie O'Kilfyle wrote:

>>I hate airline bike travel prices. I hate airlines. I hate airports. I hate everything right now.
>>
>
>
> *singing*
>
> I hate teachers........I hate school.... I'm only happy when I'm in my misery CHORUS It's cool to
> hate.......It's cool to hate.......

Took a few seconds... 'Cool to Hate' from the Offspring's 'Ixnay on the Hombre' album.

BTW, what a fantastic name to have on Usenet :)

"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Seanie O'Kilfyle wrote:
>
> >>I hate airline bike travel prices. I hate airlines. I hate airports. I hate everything
> >>right now.
> >>
> >
> >
> > *singing*
> >
> > I hate teachers........I hate school.... I'm only happy when I'm in my misery CHORUS It's cool
> > to hate.......It's cool to hate.......
>
> Took a few seconds... 'Cool to Hate' from the Offspring's 'Ixnay on the Hombre' album.

You win four sterling pounds !

Congrats dewd

>
> BTW, what a fantastic name to have on Usenet :)
>

What Ixnay or Seanie ?

ixerntit

"Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| I hate airline bike travel prices. I hate airlines. I hate airports. I hate everything right now.
|
| I have packed up my bike in my new Trico Iron Case, and I'm getting info from UPS that they don't
| ship personal affects to the UK, because of Tarriff's and such on the item.
|
| Fed Ex said it was too big.
|
| I have a flight that leaves on Friday from San Jose for Chicago, and then a week later I'm leaving
| from Detroit to London for a six month stint in London.
|
| American Airlines wants to charge me $80 from San Jose to Chicago, then $110 from Detroit to
| London. WTF?
|
| Is there anything cheaper out there, any and all suggestions welcome.
|
| If I have to live in London for six months without my Gary, I'll be really really sad ... :(

TRy looking at their website;

https://www.aa.com/content/customerService/baggage/baggageAllowance.jhtml#Wh
y%20is%20There%20a%20Free%20Baggage%20Allowance?

I think you may have been quoted an over inflated price. If this is the case print the website page
out and take it with you to the airport to argue your case. no pun intended.

Simon...canadian airlines allow free transport from UK to canada of 1 bike and 1 item of
checked luggage.

"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Seanie O'Kilfyle wrote:
>
> >>Took a few seconds... 'Cool to Hate' from the Offspring's 'Ixnay on the Hombre' album.
> >
> >
> > You win four sterling pounds !
>
> Woo hoo!
>
> >>BTW, what a fantastic name to have on Usenet :)
> >>
> >
> >
> > What Ixnay or Seanie ?
>
> Um, not sure if that's sarcasm or not. I was referring to 'O'Kilfyle'
>
>

Thanks dewd

Another four sterling pounds is on its way to you !

"Andrew Brian Hickman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Ronald wrote:
>
> > I hate airline bike travel prices.
>
> > American Airlines wants to charge me $80 from San Jose to Chicago, then $110 from Detroit to
> > London. WTF?
> >
> > Is there anything cheaper out there, any and all suggestions welcome.
> >
> > If I have to live in London for six months without my Gary, I'll be really really sad ... :(
>
> Buy one, new for £2/300.

I was thinking of doing just that. I have three days left to see what I can do about it, but that
also means I have some time to see what the prices on bikes and used bikes will be in the UK. But
there's just something about having YOUR bike with you.

Ronald wrote:
> "Andrew Brian Hickman" wrote

>>> I hate airline bike travel prices.
>>
>> Buy one, new for £2/300.
>
> I was thinking of doing just that.

I found 5 UK manufacturers in a couple of minutes.

I have the same thing, but in reverse - I'm going to the States for 3 months, and I want to take my
Kona with me. I really don't want to buy one over there, as it's just not the same as having 'my'
bike with me.

I'm currently looking into bike bags, and hoping that I can get away without having to pay too much

Nick

--
r e p l a c e s p a m w i t h n i c k t o r e p l y

Andrew Brian Hickman wrote:
>
> Ronald wrote:
> > "Andrew Brian Hickman" wrote
>
> >>> I hate airline bike travel prices.
> >>
> >> Buy one, new for £2/300.
> >
> > I was thinking of doing just that.
>
> I found 5 UK manufacturers in a couple of minutes.

Why did you look?

Nick Drew wrote:
> I have the same thing, but in reverse - I'm going to the States for 3 months, and I want to take
> my Kona with me. I really don't want to buy one over there, as it's just not the same as having
> 'my' bike with me.
>
> I'm currently looking into bike bags, and hoping that I can get away without having to pay
> too much

On-One have got some for 57 quid. They're a cancelled order from Race Scene, but basically the same
as the Planet-X bags. If you can live with the logo, they seem like a very good deal.
http://www.on-one.co.uk/index2.html

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 20:40:29 -0000, "Nick Drew" <[email protected]> scribbled:

>I have the same thing, but in reverse - I'm going to the States for 3 months, and I want to take my
>Kona with me. I really don't want to buy one over there, as it's just not the same as having 'my'
>bike with me.
>
>I'm currently looking into bike bags, and hoping that I can get away without having to pay too much
>
>Nick

You two should arrange a swap of bikes. ;)

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"

- The Onion

Dave Newt wrote:
> Andrew Brian Hickman wrote:

>> I found 5 UK manufacturers in a couple of minutes.
>
> Why did you look?

New range comes out March, reminded me.

Andrew Brian Hickman wrote:
>
> Dave Newt wrote:
> > Andrew Brian Hickman wrote:
>
> >> I found 5 UK manufacturers in a couple of minutes.
> >
> > Why did you look?
>
> New range comes out March, reminded me.

Ah right. I guess the OP can use of of those new-fangled "shop" places though.

I've got two good bikes sitting in Liverpool, not used them for years... Shame - I used to cycle
everywhere, but Paris and London (the last two places I've lived) never really appealed to me as
places to be on a bike
in.

Slash <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 20:40:29 -0000, "Nick Drew" <[email protected]> scribbled:
>
> >I have the same thing, but in reverse - I'm going to the States for 3 months, and I want to take
> >my Kona with me. I really don't want to buy one over there, as it's just not the same as having
> >'my' bike with me.
> >
> >I'm currently looking into bike bags, and hoping that I can get away without having to pay
> >too much
> >
> >Nick
>
> You two should arrange a swap of bikes. ;)
>
> -Slash

Hmm, not a bad idea, Slash. Nick, where are you heading in the states and where are you cominf from
in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.