Shipping Bike to France

"citizen142" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Not really as it is a new bike metric is the norm now. As for spares
> my mate and I go to Decathlon in Perpignan - they have their own
> repair shop and the mechanic there is a nice, friendly bloke. If you
> ride about in that area there is a really good bike shop in Ceres.
>

> "Trevor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> "citizen142" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Trevor it is a trip that I do twice a year. In the past I have
>> traveled from South Wales to Stansted then to Perpignan. The truth
>> is
>> it easier to travel from - Doncaster, East Midlands or indeed any
>> flight that goes to Girona in Spain. If you have taken your bike
>> re-assemble it and ride not to Girona but (check this name out on
>> the
>> Spanish Rail site) Ruidallotts which is only 2 miles away. Get a
>> ticket to Port Bou (about 3.5 euros) or if you catch the right train
>> some go under the tunnel to Cebere in France. From there you can
>> catch
>> a train to Perpignan or indeed ride into Perpignan. Alternatively
>> spend a night here:
>>
>> http://www.hotelmargarit.com/website/eng/tarifes.asp
>>
>> and enjoy the 40 mile ride over the border to France.
>>
>> e-mail me for more info if you wish.
>>
>> "Trevor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> Has anyone shipped a bike to France and if so can you recommend any
>> companies? How much did it cost?
>>
>> I have £206 from TNT which is twice the cost of the bike.
>>

> #
>
> Many thanks for your info - I go about 10 times a year. In the winter
> about
> once a month on my own on a £10 each way ticket from Stansted which is
> where
> I am flying from in a couple of weeks. When I go with the family,
> Doncaster
> (50 mins away) is easier to Gerona and then a hire car.
>
> This is a one way ticket with a brand new boxed bike, as bikes like
> everything else down there are so expensive.
>
> I am kinda assuming that when I need parts they will all be the same
> in
> France or am I making a fatal mistake here??

Thanks for the good info - we're at Olette BTW.

"Trevor" <[email protected]> wrote

[snip]

> I am kinda assuming that when I need parts they will all be the
> same in France or am I making a fatal mistake here??

It used to be that France, plus francophone Belgium and Switzerland,
were the only places in the world that were metric, which made a
difference to screw threads for pedals and bottom brackets, and to
tyre sizes. Italy had its own system, shared with Argentina.
Everywhere else was imperial.

Britain, of course, has changed to the French 700mm tyre, but whether
the French have made any changes or not, I don't know. They may
have, since all bikes in the world nowadays seem to come from China.

Jeremy Parker

You've convinced me I can get one at a reasonable price in Perpy which will
be a lot less hassle than taking one on trains and underground (not to
mention Ryanair)

cheers

Trevor

"Jeremy Parker" <[email protected]> a écrit:

> It used to be that France, plus francophone Belgium and
> Switzerland, were the only places in the world that were
> metric, which made a difference to screw threads for
> pedals and bottom brackets, and to tyre sizes. Italy had
> its own system, shared with Argentina. Everywhere else
> was imperial.

> Britain, of course, has changed to the French 700mm tyre,
> but whether the French have made any changes or not, I
> don't know. They may have, since all bikes in the world
> nowadays seem to come from China.

French threads seem to have been quite common until the late eighties, but
British threads are now very much the norm on French bikes - even those made
in France.

As well as bottom bracket and pedal threads, tube dimensions, freewheel
threads, headset threads, stem quill diameter, and bar clamp were particular
to the French system.

James Thomson