Shipping Bikes

fvermeylen1

Feb 22, 2015
Dear fellow cyclists

We are group of 6 friends from Belgium who are coming to Florida for a vacation in early April, and we plan to bike from Miami to Key West. We will be renting road bikes for this in South Beach Miami.

After we have arrived in Key West, we will move on to Fort Myers by boat, so we will have no more need for the bikes, but they somehow need to be taken back to Miami. Does anyone has any advice how to go about this? Do I simply get in touch with taxi companies?

Many thanks, Filip

You'd have to ship it through a shipping service. It might cost a lot, but it's the safest option. Obviously, your trek has already come and gone, so I'm interested to hear how the trip was, and then how you got the bikes back to their original location?

I'm not sure if you would have to have it shipped through sea because that might cost more than air, due to its size. I would prefer being from a close location because it's safer and better.

Have you tried talking to your local bike shop? My friend moved from Canada to New Zealand and the shop took care of everything for one fee. I think it was around $500 for them to box it up and ship it out. They get a better rate on shipping than most would since they do a lot of business with the companies.

gavinfree said:
You'd have to ship it through a shipping service. It might cost a lot, but it's the safest option. Obviously, your trek has already come and gone, so I'm interested to hear how the trip was, and then how you got the bikes back to their original location?
I agree with that - contact a shipping service and furnish them with your schedule so when you ship your bikes, their office on the other end would already know the details.

This reminds me of my first time to see a bike shipped. On my first trip to Hongkong, one co-passenger in the plane had bought a racer bike for his son. It was not packed because he said it is okay with the airlines. He just checked it in as cargo and he had no problem. Last month we were in the province and a friend bought his bike via plane. That's the same thing he did - checked it in as cargo. But I'm sure the freight charges are not that cheap.

Contact the shipping service and just tell them about your plans of the tour, you should make the decision with them.