Shipping Charges Rip-off?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bg, Apr 30, 2003.

  1. Bg

    Bg Guest

    I recently bought a set of 650c wheels and was told by the vendor that because they were oversize,
    shipping was more. So I say ok, whatever, pay $35 to send two boxes by UPS. Yesterday I sold and
    shipped via FedEx a set of 700c wheels, ironically, to a person in the same town where I'd gotten
    the 650's and the charge was $11.04. Is the difference due to different shipper or one of those
    things like electronic equipment where a vendor may have a low price and then get it back via
    exorbitant shipping? Seems like the vendor would get better rates based on volume. Any vendors want
    to comment on this? Jude? bill g

    Tags:

  2. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > I recently bought a set of 650c wheels and was told by the vendor that because they were oversize,
    > shipping was more. So I say ok, whatever, pay $35 to send two boxes by UPS. Yesterday I sold and
    > shipped via FedEx a set of 700c wheels, ironically, to a person in the same town where I'd gotten
    > the 650's and the charge was $11.04. Is the difference due to different shipper or one of those
    > things like electronic equipment where a vendor may have a low price and then get it back via
    > exorbitant shipping? Seems like the vendor would get better rates based on volume. Any vendors
    > want to comment on this? Jude? bill g

    Shipping charges are just that - charges by the shipper to send you the item. This includes third
    party charges like UPS, as well as packing, packing materials, and intangibles like employee time,
    benefits and other overhead. Not many vendors really know what these intangibles really cost so
    charge what the market will bare. You are the market. It pays to shop around.

    When you ship to an individual, you probably don't go out and buy a shipping container and foam
    peanuts or consider the cost of the scales to weigh the item or the computer needed to produce the
    UPS shipping ticket.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. Yesterday I got a quote to ship one 650c wheel with a Hub motor laced into it to Oregon and was told
    if I sent it as a private citizen the charge was $151. USD and no guarantee someone in shipping
    won't bounce it off a wall, but if I sent it on my Business account the charge drops to $70.03 and
    it is insured, plus all the documentation is free....but it takes 7 business days. The $151. rate is
    for 48 hour delivery. The company point was, private citizens are demading immediate (48 hour)
    gratification and are willing to pay a premium for the service. Shop around for a better deal is a
    good idea too, even try the USPS (the folks with SMGs).
    ----------------------------------
    "bg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I recently bought a set of 650c wheels and was told by the vendor that because they were oversize,
    > shipping was more. So I say ok, whatever, pay $35 to send two boxes by UPS. Yesterday I sold and
    > shipped via FedEx a set of 700c wheels, ironically, to a person in the same town where I'd gotten
    > the 650's and the charge was $11.04. Is the difference due to different shipper or one of those
    > things like electronic equipment where a vendor may have a low price and then get it back via
    > exorbitant shipping? Seems like the vendor would get better rates based on volume. Any vendors
    > want to comment on this? Jude? bill g

  4. Bill, I sent a Vision VR-40 dual/susp UPS to Seattle and with 1K in insurance it was $85 bucks. If
    this was a S/H charge its not realyy that bad...depending on how far it was shipped. UPS has OS1
    AND OS2 (oversize) a wheel box for 2 wheels is pretty standard size and is not even close. The
    Bacchetta seat and wheel box is an OS1 so you get an idea of how big you gotta be. So his OS stuff
    IMO is pure BS.

    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "bg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I recently bought a set of 650c wheels and was told by the vendor that because they were oversize,
    > shipping was more. So I say ok, whatever, pay $35 to send two boxes by UPS. Yesterday I sold and
    > shipped via FedEx a set of 700c wheels, ironically, to a person in the same town where I'd gotten
    > the 650's and the charge was $11.04. Is the difference due to different shipper or one of those
    > things like electronic equipment where a vendor may have a low price and then get it back via
    > exorbitant shipping? Seems like the vendor would get better rates based on volume. Any vendors
    > want to comment on this? Jude? bill g

  5. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    You have to remember on E-Bay, that you pay a total cost of bid plus shipping.

    Many listers seem to have inflated (or at least "seems high to me") shipping costs. They are listed
    right there on the bid page details.

    It does seem to be a ploy of some listers to inflate the shipping costs. There was a MTB wheelset
    recently for $50. This looks like a good deal, until you see the $24 shipping costs. That changes it
    to a so-so deal.

    As always "Caveat Emptor"

    --
    Miles of Smiles,

    Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida (remove "nospam" to reply) Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed
    Machine Clone

    www.gate.net/~teblum

  6. Tom, Bill used the term vendor, so I assume that he purchased the wheels from some sorta dealer.
    Additionally, the UPS rates that frequent shippers get are less than what the general public gets.
    Also if you ship thru an "Authorized UPS Shipper" like MBE you get to pay an additional charge.

    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You have to remember on E-Bay, that you pay a total cost of bid plus shipping.
    >
    > Many listers seem to have inflated (or at least "seems high to me")
    shipping
    > costs. They are listed right there on the bid page details.
    >
    > It does seem to be a ploy of some listers to inflate the shipping costs. There was a MTB wheelset
    > recently for $50. This looks like a good deal, until you see the $24 shipping costs. That changes
    > it to a so-so deal.
    >
    > As always "Caveat Emptor"
    >

    > --
    > Miles of Smiles,
    >
    > Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida (remove "nospam" to reply) Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed
    > Machine Clone
    >
    > www.gate.net/~teblum

  7. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    Tom, Bill used the term vendor, so I assume that he purchased the wheels from some sorta dealer.
    Additionally, the UPS rates that frequent shippers get are less than what the general public gets.
    Also if you ship thru an "Authorized UPS Shipper" like MBE you get to pay an additional charge.

    The listing I refered to was a dealer. He stated he had 50 sets of these wheels. My point is that
    you can make money in the shipping business as well as the selling business. Total cost, as
    delivered, it the real mcCoy.

    Bill's fears are correct. The seller is probably making money on the shipping portion of the bill.

    Tom

  8. A&B

    A&B Guest

    Cletus, Yeah, I see your point. But FedEx never mentioned "oversize" or odd shaped box issue (like
    the USPS did once, wanting a $30 "funny box fee"(1)). So maybe FedEx has different "oversize"
    criteria than UPS. And I rely on FedEx or whatever shipper to provide the scales. Regardless of what
    I tell 'em they're gonna weigh it. bill g
    (1) Why I *NEVER EVER* use the USPS for shipping

    Cletus Lee wrote:

    >\ Shipping charges are just that - charges by the shipper to send you the item. This includes third
    >party charges like UPS, as well as packing, packing materials, and intangibles like employee time,
    >benefits and other overhead. Not many vendors really know what these intangibles really cost so
    >charge what the market will bare. You are the market. It pays to shop around.
    >
    > When you ship to an individual, you probably don't go out and buy a shipping container and foam
    > peanuts or consider the cost of the scales to weigh the item or the computer needed to produce the
    > UPS shipping ticket.

    > - Bellaire, TX USA -

  9. A&B

    A&B Guest

    Wile, $151 seems high but from where to where and how much did it weigh? I can get up to 150lbs
    shipped free and up to 300lbs for $85 from an auto supplier I use. And 2nd day air for $10 per 20
    lbs, 3-day was $52 for 6lbs of wheels. bill g

    "Wile E.Coyote" wrote:

    > Yesterday I got a quote to ship one 650c wheel with a Hub motor laced into it to Oregon and was
    > told if I sent it as a private citizen the charge was $151. USD and no guarantee someone in
    > shipping won't bounce it off a wall, but if I sent it on my Business account the charge drops to
    > $70.03 and it is insured, plus all the documentation is free....but it takes 7 business days. The
    > $151. rate is for 48 hour delivery. The company point was, private citizens are demading immediate
    > (48 hour) gratification and are willing to pay a premium for the service. Shop around for a better
    > deal is a good idea too, even try the USPS (the folks with SMGs).
    > ----------------------------------
    > "bg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I recently bought a set of 650c wheels and was told by the vendor that because they were
    > > oversize, shipping was more. So I say ok, whatever, pay $35 to send two boxes by UPS. Yesterday
    > > I sold and shipped via FedEx a set of 700c wheels, ironically, to a person in the same town
    > > where I'd gotten the 650's and the charge was $11.04. Is the difference due to different shipper
    > > or one of those things like electronic equipment where a vendor may have a low price and then
    > > get it back via exorbitant shipping? Seems like the vendor would get better rates based on
    > > volume. Any vendors want to comment on this? Jude? bill g

  10. A&B

    A&B Guest

    Yeah, what I thought. bg

    "Jude T. McGloin" wrote:

    > Bill, I sent a Vision VR-40 dual/susp UPS to Seattle and with 1K in insurance it was $85 bucks. If
    > this was a S/H charge its not realyy that bad...depending on how far it was shipped. UPS has OS1
    > AND OS2 (oversize) a wheel box for 2 wheels is pretty standard size and is not even close. The
    > Bacchetta seat and wheel box is an OS1 so you get an idea of how big you gotta be. So his OS stuff
    > IMO is pure BS.
    >
    > Jude....///Bacchetta AERO St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland Wheel Doctor Cycle and
    > Sports, Inc 1-800-586-6645 "bg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I recently bought a set of 650c wheels and was told by the vendor that because they were
    > > oversize, shipping was more. So I say ok, whatever, pay $35 to send two boxes by UPS. Yesterday
    > > I sold and shipped via FedEx a set of 700c wheels, ironically, to a person in the same town
    > > where I'd gotten the 650's and the charge was $11.04. Is the difference due to different shipper
    > > or one of those things like electronic equipment where a vendor may have a low price and then
    > > get it back via exorbitant shipping? Seems like the vendor would get better rates based on
    > > volume. Any vendors want to comment on this? Jude? bill g

  11. A&B

    A&B Guest

    To clarify, *OTOH* 3-day was $52 for 6lbs of wheels

    a&b wrote:

    > Wile, $151 seems high but from where to where and how much did it weigh? I can get up to 150lbs
    > shipped free and up to 300lbs for $85 from an auto supplier I use. And 2nd day air for $10 per 20
    > lbs, 3-day was $52 for 6lbs of wheels. bill g
    >
    > "Wile E.Coyote" wrote:
    > >
    > > Yesterday I got a quote to ship one 650c wheel with a Hub motor laced into it to Oregon and was
    > > told if I sent it as a private citizen the charge was $151. USD and no guarantee someone in
    > > shipping won't bounce it off a wall, but if I sent it on my Business account the charge drops to
    > > $70.03 and it is insured, plus all the documentation is free....but it takes 7 business days.
    > > The $151. rate is for 48 hour delivery. The company point was, private citizens are demading
    > > immediate (48 hour) gratification and are willing to pay a premium for the service. Shop around
    > > for a better deal is a good idea too, even try the USPS (the folks with SMGs).
    > > ----------------------------------
    > > "bg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > I recently bought a set of 650c wheels and was told by the vendor that because they were
    > > > oversize, shipping was more. So I say ok, whatever, pay $35 to send two boxes by UPS.
    > > > Yesterday I sold and shipped via FedEx a set of 700c wheels, ironically, to a person in the
    > > > same town where I'd gotten the 650's and the charge was $11.04. Is the difference due to
    > > > different shipper or one of those things like electronic equipment where a vendor may have a
    > > > low price and then get it back via exorbitant shipping? Seems like the vendor would get better
    > > > rates based on volume. Any vendors want to comment on this? Jude? bill g

  12. A&B

    A&B Guest

    And what the vendor may not understand is I won't be back to get re-boinked ;-) bg

    Tom Blum wrote:

    > Tom, Bill used the term vendor, so I assume that he purchased the wheels from some sorta dealer.
    > Additionally, the UPS rates that frequent shippers get are less than what the general public gets.
    > Also if you ship thru an "Authorized UPS Shipper" like MBE you get to pay an additional charge.
    >
    > The listing I refered to was a dealer. He stated he had 50 sets of these wheels. My point is that
    > you can make money in the shipping business as well as the selling business. Total cost, as
    > delivered, it the real mcCoy.
    >
    > Bill's fears are correct. The seller is probably making money on the shipping portion of the bill.
    >
    > Tom

  13. M..Leuck

    M..Leuck Guest

    "bg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I recently bought a set of 650c wheels and was told by the vendor that because they were oversize,
    > shipping was more. So I say ok, whatever, pay $35 to send two boxes by UPS. Yesterday I sold and
    > shipped via FedEx a set of 700c wheels, ironically, to a person in the same town where I'd gotten
    > the 650's and the charge was $11.04. Is the difference due to different shipper or one of those
    > things like electronic equipment where a vendor may have a low price and then get it back via
    > exorbitant shipping? Seems like the vendor would get better rates based on volume. Any vendors
    > want to comment on this? Jude? bill g

    I used to work for UPS, they are very strict about box sizing

  14. 22 lbs. Toronto to Oregon. Dimensions @ 12" X 28" X 28". The buyer can live with the cost, I just
    felt weird having to charge a fellow bent rider this much $. The US gov't. recently added a Fuel Tax
    surcharge (energy crisis was the excuse), then trucks get slowed down & stopped up to 6 hours at the
    US/Can border (which just happened to be a coincidence in timing) re: that it followed our Prime
    Minister's secretary calling Pres.Bush a Moron. Now the truckers get tested for SARS and that slows
    it down again.
    -----------------------------------
    "a&b" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Wile, $151 seems high but from where to where and how much did it weigh? I can get up to 150lbs
    > shipped free and up to 300lbs for $85 from an auto supplier I use. And 2nd day air for $10 per 20
    > lbs, 3-day was $52 for 6lbs of wheels. bill g
    >
    > "Wile E.Coyote" wrote:
    > >
    > > Yesterday I got a quote to ship one 650c wheel with a Hub motor laced
    into
    > > it to Oregon and was told if I sent it as a private citizen the charge
    was
    > > $151. USD and no guarantee someone in shipping won't bounce it off a
    wall,
    > > but if I sent it on my Business account the charge drops to $70.03 and
    it is
    > > insured, plus all the documentation is free....but it takes 7 business
    days.
    > > The $151. rate is for 48 hour delivery. The company point was, private citizens are demading
    > > immediate (48 hour) gratification and are willing
    > > pay a premium for the service. Shop around for a better deal is a good
    idea
    > > too, even try the USPS (the folks with SMGs).
    > > ----------------------------------
    > > "bg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > I recently bought a set of 650c wheels and was told by the vendor that because they were
    > > > oversize, shipping was more. So I say ok, whatever, pay $35 to send two boxes by UPS.
    > > > Yesterday I sold and shipped via FedEx a set of 700c wheels,
    ironically,
    > > > to a person in the same town where I'd gotten the 650's and the charge was $11.04. Is the
    > > > difference due to different shipper or one of those things like electronic equipment where a
    > > > vendor may have a low price and then get
    it
    > > > back via exorbitant shipping? Seems like the vendor would get better rates based on volume.
    > > > Any vendors want to comment on this? Jude? bill g

  15. Greg Dunn

    Greg Dunn Guest

    As others here have noted, most vendors mark up the actual fee they pay to the shipping service. In
    fact, most mark up the fee *you* would pay to the shipping service.

    Have said that, though, FedEx does seem to be quite a bit cheaper than UPS. (Sample data: one
    shipped bicycle)

    --
    Greg Dunn

    "bg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I recently bought a set of 650c wheels and was told by the vendor that because they were oversize,
    > shipping was more. So I say ok, whatever, pay $35 to send two boxes by UPS. Yesterday I sold and
    > shipped via FedEx a set of 700c wheels, ironically, to a person in the same town where I'd gotten
    > the 650's and the charge was $11.04. Is the difference due to different shipper or one of those
    > things like electronic equipment where a vendor may have a low price and then get it back via
    > exorbitant shipping? Seems like the vendor would get better rates based on volume. Any vendors
    > want to comment on this? Jude? bill g

  16. Bg

    Bg Guest

    Oh, well in that case I can see why given the exceptional circumstances and border crossing. My wife
    bought some kind of antique corner hutch/cabinet from Belgium last Oct. It was in a crate that was
    30" X 30"X 72" and 2nd-day air shipping was $500. I thought that was a bargain. Of course it didn't
    make it in 2 cause customs, I guess, crowbarred apart one end to see if it was a Pershing missle or
    a box of dope or something. bill g

    "Wile E.Coyote" wrote:

    > 22 lbs. Toronto to Oregon. Dimensions @ 12" X 28" X 28". The buyer can live with the cost, I just
    > felt weird having to charge a fellow bent rider this much $. The US gov't. recently added a Fuel
    > Tax surcharge (energy crisis was the excuse), then trucks get slowed down & stopped up to 6 hours
    > at the US/Can border (which just happened to be a coincidence in timing) re: that it followed our
    > Prime Minister's secretary calling Pres.Bush a Moron. Now the truckers get tested for SARS and
    > that slows it down again.
    > -----------------------------------
    > "a&b" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Wile, $151 seems high but from where to where and how much did it weigh? I can get up to 150lbs
    > > shipped free and up to 300lbs for $85 from an auto supplier I use. And 2nd day air for $10 per
    > > 20 lbs, 3-day was $52 for 6lbs of wheels. bill g
    > >
    > > "Wile E.Coyote" wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Yesterday I got a quote to ship one 650c wheel with a Hub motor laced
    > into
    > > > it to Oregon and was told if I sent it as a private citizen the charge
    > was
    > > > $151. USD and no guarantee someone in shipping won't bounce it off a
    > wall,
    > > > but if I sent it on my Business account the charge drops to $70.03 and
    > it is
    > > > insured, plus all the documentation is free....but it takes 7 business
    > days.
    > > > The $151. rate is for 48 hour delivery. The company point was, private citizens are demading
    > > > immediate (48 hour) gratification and are willing
    > > > pay a premium for the service. Shop around for a better deal is a good
    > idea
    > > > too, even try the USPS (the folks with SMGs).
    > > > ----------------------------------
    > ironically,
    > it

  17. Don

    Don Guest

    I ship or recieve a lot of heavy, expensive audio equipment and have learned a few things the hard
    way. FedEx is the best and cheapest. They are my first choice. Let me qualify that since there is a
    FedEx employee staffed shipping center near me. If you use a third party such as the old Mail Boxes
    Excreta then buyer beware.

    A friend in NH shipped me (CA) a $4000 digital preamp brand new in the factory double box. His wife
    took it to Mail Boxes Excreta and paid $80+ to have it shipped insured ground UPS. Of course I
    reimbursed them. I checked the UPS site and found the charges would only be $30 total with
    insurance. That was $50 to sit on a box until the UPS man picked it up. The local MBE refused to
    respond to any of my letters. When I contacted corporate MBE the response was their franchisees are
    able to charge whatever they want and can get away with. I received no satisfaction from several
    email exchanges with MBE customer service.

    It has recently come to my attention that MBE was and still is owned and operated by UPS. Some
    stores are undergoing a logo and sign change. But I now avoid UPS whenever the shipping method is my
    choice. They have lost a lot of business from me. Also, when I compare prices FedEx wins by a
    significant amount every time.

    I am sure some of you have FedEx horror stories to tell but they are my first, second, and third
    choice and UPS is avoid if at all possible.

  18. Kelly

    Kelly Guest

    bg <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I recently bought a set of 650c wheels and was told by the vendor that because they were oversize,
    > shipping was more. So I say ok, whatever, pay $35 to send two boxes by UPS. Yesterday I sold and
    > shipped via FedEx a set of 700c wheels, ironically, to a person in the same town where I'd gotten
    > the 650's and the charge was $11.04. Is the difference due to different shipper or one of those
    > things like electronic equipment where a vendor may have a low price and then get it back via
    > exorbitant shipping? Seems like the vendor would get better rates based on volume. Any vendors
    > want to comment on this? Jude? bill g

    I have shipped recumbent wheels via US Priority mail all over the US and the last set I took to the
    post office the counter person charged me $17 less than I've ever been charged before. Same thing
    happened at UPS on a bike recently. Go figure, have I been paying too much or did I just get a break
    on a couple of items.

    Kelly

  19. A&B

    A&B Guest

    Boy do I ever agree about MailButtholes. In a moment of desperation while on a cross stste ride I
    shipped some dirty laundry and a bad tent home. They were outrageous. It's like "boutique
    shipping". bill g

    Don wrote:

    > I ship or recieve a lot of heavy, expensive audio equipment and have learned a few things the hard
    > way. FedEx is the best and cheapest. They are my first choice. Let me qualify that since there is
    > a FedEx employee staffed shipping center near me. If you use a third party such as the old Mail
    > Boxes Excreta then buyer beware.
    >
    > A friend in NH shipped me (CA) a $4000 digital preamp brand new in the factory double box. His
    > wife took it to Mail Boxes Excreta and paid $80+ to have it shipped insured ground UPS. Of course
    > I reimbursed them. I checked the UPS site and found the charges would only be $30 total with
    > insurance. That was $50 to sit on a box until the UPS man picked it up. The local MBE refused to
    > respond to any of my letters. When I contacted corporate MBE the response was their franchisees
    > are able to charge whatever they want and can get away with. I received no satisfaction from
    > several email exchanges with MBE customer service.
    >
    > It has recently come to my attention that MBE was and still is owned and operated by UPS. Some
    > stores are undergoing a logo and sign change. But I now avoid UPS whenever the shipping method is
    > my choice. They have lost a lot of business from me. Also, when I compare prices FedEx wins by a
    > significant amount every time.
    >
    > I am sure some of you have FedEx horror stories to tell but they are my first, second, and third
    > choice and UPS is avoid if at all possible.

  20. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    a&b wrote:

    > Boy do I ever agree about MailButtholes. In a moment of desperation while on a cross stste ride I
    > shipped some dirty laundry and a bad tent home. They were outrageous. It's like "boutique
    > shipping".

    Bill,

    Are you sure the extra charge was not for handling biohazard material? ;)