Shipping Charges Rip-off?

No doubt! By the time it got to the house it was really bad. My wife didn't even open the box, just
left it for me when I returned. bg

Tom Sherman wrote:

> a&b wrote:
> >
> > Boy do I ever agree about MailButtholes. In a moment of desperation while on a cross stste ride
> > I shipped some dirty laundry and a bad tent home. They were outrageous. It's like "boutique
> > shipping".
>
> Bill,
>
> Are you sure the extra charge was not for handling biohazard material? ;)

Sometimes when you ship at the UPS counter, the person behind gets lazy and do not measure the box
even if it is oversize. In that instance then it is a bargain. Has happened to me countless times
esp when you engage the person in chitchat or you know the person behind.

Lately though due to sagging revenues, the oversize fees are being enforced more stringently.

As for shipping cost over the actual, sometimes you need to add a little. A case in point is when
you have to ship postal say to an APO or foreign address. You have to physically line up. Aside from
actual cost, you have the manpower invovled in lining up.

Best suggestion is to ask what the ship/handling/etc cost would be before commiting

Fedex ground is cheaper than UPs since the ground operation is operated by independent subs - NON
union labor cost.

J Gaerlan - Gaerlan Custom Cycles http://www.gaerlan.com Framebuilding,Recumbent and Bike
Parts eStore
(415)362-3866: (415)677-8943 fax [email protected]

> Fedex ground is cheaper than UPs since the ground operation is operated by independent subs - NON
> union labor cost.

I thought Fedex ground is simply Roadway Package System, whom Fedex bought a few years ago.

I had two experiences with RPS many years ago--I would joke (or maybe cry) that they were so
cheap because they delivered packages wherever it was convenient for them, rather than where you
wanted it to go.

Since they were bought by Fedex, I've had a few uneventful deliveries via Fedex Ground, so I guess
they improved.

--
I do not accept unsolicted commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for legitmate replies.