Shipping complete bike from US

LT

Guest
Hi all, I was just wondering if anybody has shipped a complete bike over
from the US? I was looking at one on Ebay, and when I emailed the guy for a
quote, he said because of the size, the only way I could get it shipped is
through a courier, and it would cost > $300 USD. This seems ridiculous to
me, especially for a $1000 USD bike. When you add customs, gst etc it's
even worse. So I was wondering if anybody had found a cheaper way to do it?
Thanks

Luis

$US300 doesn't sound unreasonable. Last time I shipped a bare frame from the
US it cost about that.

Nick

"LT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all, I was just wondering if anybody has shipped a complete bike over
> from the US? I was looking at one on Ebay, and when I emailed the guy for

> quote, he said because of the size, the only way I could get it shipped is
> through a courier, and it would cost > $300 USD. This seems ridiculous to
> me, especially for a $1000 USD bike. When you add customs, gst etc it's
> even worse. So I was wondering if anybody had found a cheaper way to do

it?

I agree shipping for a complete bike may be $300us but for a frame only, you
got ripped off.....i have had two frames shipped in the last week using USPS
costing me no more than $70US....My advice is make sure the seller does not
send the item Fedex or UPS as both overcharge to Australia and Fedex
generally disclose all there items to Customs. Where as USPS items come
through Auspost and roughly ten percent are intercepted by Customs.....I
have had over 50 items come USPS and only on one have i had to pay Duty..

Webby

news:[email protected]...

Lt wrote:
> Hi all, I was just wondering if anybody has shipped a complete bike over
> from the US? I was looking at one on Ebay, and when I emailed the guy
> for a quote, he said because of the size, the only way I could get it
> shipped is through a courier, and it would cost > $300 USD. This seems
> ridiculous to me, especially for a $1000 USD bike. When you add customs,
> gst etc it's even worse. So I was wondering if anybody had found a
> cheaper way to do it? Thanks
> Luis

G'day

a mate of mine looked at trying to ship a Trek 'madone' from the U
rather than buying it on the local market. The reasons for this wer
that the madone retails for around $5.9K Aus in the US compared wit
around $10K Aus in Oz (you can get it cheaper at the right LBS...tr
Hendry in Vic). Anyway....purchasing the thing, shipping & insurance (
even the potential $ for duty if he got 'busted'), still made it viable
The biggest issue was that Trek wouldn't provide any guarantee unless i
was bought on the local market. This obviously isn't an issue unles
anything goes wrong!, but with the 'madone' being 'cutting edge
technology & costing a small fortune....who would take the chance?.....
think other bike manufacturers take a similar view to protect thei
local distributors...something to think about other than cost, anyway

cheers

Hitch

-

> The biggest issue was that Trek wouldn't provide any guarantee unless it
> was bought on the local market. This obviously isn't an issue unless
> anything goes wrong!, but with the 'madone' being 'cutting edge'
> technology & costing a small fortune....who would take the chance?.....I
> think other bike manufacturers take a similar view to protect their
> local distributors...something to think about other than cost, anyway,
>
> cheers,
>
> Hitchy

So what happens if you buy a Trek in Australia and go OS on holiday with it
and it breaks?
Will the OS distributor also not warranty the bike?

Peter

unfortunately .. when shipping a complete bike or frame it falls into the
oversize catagory, and USPS won't ship packages that large, like bike
boxes...frames may be a different story if the box is small enough. Anyway, i
ship regularly to you guys over there, and Fed-ex isusually the less expensive
route for bikes. Parts on the other hand go best when shipped Global Express
USPS, approx. $10 US for 1lb items.
later, Chad
[email protected]

[email protected] (Devalls3) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> unfortunately .. when shipping a complete bike or frame it falls into the
> oversize catagory, and USPS won't ship packages that large, like bike
> boxes...frames may be a different story if the box is small enough. Anyway, i
> ship regularly to you guys over there, and Fed-ex isusually the less expensive
> route for bikes. Parts on the other hand go best when shipped Global Express
> USPS, approx. $10 US for 1lb items.
> later, Chad
> [email protected]

I've imported titanium frames from China and it cost me US$80 in
freight.
I didn't have to pay any duty or other taxes. Two frames will fit in
the box that they sent my frame in and they tell me the cost of
sending two frames is the same as sending one. It seems that the
volume is the main cost, not the weight. As a matter of fact the
cardboard box weighed more than the frame.

Marty