Shipping complete bike from US

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Lt, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. Lt

    Lt Guest

    Hi all, I was just wondering if anybody has shipped a complete bike over from the US? I was looking
    at one on Ebay, and when I emailed the guy for a quote, he said because of the size, the only way I
    could get it shipped is through a courier, and it would cost > $300 USD. This seems ridiculous to
    me, especially for a $1000 USD bike. When you add customs, gst etc it's even worse. So I was
    wondering if anybody had found a cheaper way to do it? Thanks

    Luis

    Tags:

  2. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    $US300 doesn't sound unreasonable. Last time I shipped a bare frame from the US it cost about that.

    Nick

    "LT" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all, I was just wondering if anybody has shipped a complete bike over from the US? I was
    > looking at one on Ebay, and when I emailed the guy for
    > quote, he said because of the size, the only way I could get it shipped is through a courier, and
    > it would cost > $300 USD. This seems ridiculous to me, especially for a $1000 USD bike. When you
    > add customs, gst etc it's even worse. So I was wondering if anybody had found a cheaper way to do
    it?

  3. Colnago

    Colnago Guest

    I agree shipping for a complete bike may be $300us but for a frame only, you got ripped off.....i
    have had two frames shipped in the last week using USPS costing me no more than $70US....My advice
    is make sure the seller does not send the item Fedex or UPS as both overcharge to Australia and
    Fedex generally disclose all there items to Customs. Where as USPS items come through Auspost and
    roughly ten percent are intercepted by Customs.....I have had over 50 items come USPS and only on
    one have i had to pay Duty..

    Webby

    "Nick Payne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > $US300 doesn't sound unreasonable. Last time I shipped a bare frame from
    the
    > US it cost about that.
    >
    > Nick
    >
    > "LT" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi all, I was just wondering if anybody has shipped a complete bike
    over
    > > from the US? I was looking at one on Ebay, and when I emailed the guy
    for
    > > quote, he said because of the size, the only way I could get it shipped
    is
    > > through a courier, and it would cost > $300 USD. This seems ridiculous
    > > me, especially for a $1000 USD bike. When you add customs, gst etc it's even worse. So I was
    > > wondering if anybody had found a cheaper way to do
    > it?

  4. Hitchy

    Hitchy New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2004
    Messages:
    1,876

    G'day,

    a mate of mine looked at trying to ship a Trek 'madone' from the US rather than buying it on the local market. The reasons for this were that the madone retails for around $5.9K Aus in the US compared with around $10K Aus in Oz (you can get it cheaper at the right LBS...try Hendry in Vic). Anyway....purchasing the thing, shipping & insurance (& even the potential $ for duty if he got 'busted'), still made it viable. The biggest issue was that Trek wouldn't provide any guarantee unless it was bought on the local market. This obviously isn't an issue unless anything goes wrong!, but with the 'madone' being 'cutting edge' technology & costing a small fortune....who would take the chance?.....I think other bike manufacturers take a similar view to protect their local distributors...something to think about other than cost, anyway,

    cheers,

    Hitchy

  5. Peter Vesel

    Peter Vesel Guest

    > The biggest issue was that Trek wouldn't provide any guarantee unless it was bought on the local
    > market. This obviously isn't an issue unless anything goes wrong!, but with the 'madone' being
    > 'cutting edge' technology & costing a small fortune....who would take the chance?.....I think
    > other bike manufacturers take a similar view to protect their local distributors...something to
    > think about other than cost, anyway,
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > Hitchy

    So what happens if you buy a Trek in Australia and go OS on holiday with it and it breaks? Will the
    OS distributor also not warranty the bike?

    Peter