Shipping costs

DRS

Guest
Has anyone personally imported tyres from America to Oz? How much did it
cost? I've just had an estimate from a dealer of USD40-45! Deal killer! A
pair of the damn things weigh less than a kg.

--

A: Top-posters.

DRS wrote:

> Has anyone personally imported tyres from America to Oz? How much did it
> cost? I've just had an estimate from a dealer of USD40-45! Deal killer! A
> pair of the damn things weigh less than a kg.

Isn't this the old problem of make sure they will send it by POST, not
"charge your soul" courier companies?

"Terry Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> DRS wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone personally imported tyres from America to Oz? How much
>> did it cost? I've just had an estimate from a dealer of USD40-45!
>> Deal killer! A pair of the damn things weigh less than a kg.

> Isn't this the old problem of make sure they will send it by POST, not
> "charge your soul" courier companies?

That's what I said! But it's USPS. They're adding on USD12.50 for USPS
pickup because they couldn't be bothered going to the post office. The
actual USPS rate isn't so exorbitant.

You know I'm really thinking I should have got a bike with 27" wheels
instead of 700. There's heaps of fat slicks for 27".

--

A: Top-posters.

DRS wrote:

> "Terry Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> That's what I said! But it's USPS. They're adding on USD12.50 for USPS
> pickup because they couldn't be bothered going to the post office. The
> actual USPS rate isn't so exorbitant.

Oh. I am starting to wonder if I shouldn't get back into selling bicycle
books. The yanks seem so determined to shoot themselves in the foot. Is
Amazon shipping within a month these days?

> You know I'm really thinking I should have got a bike with 27" wheels
> instead of 700. There's heaps of fat slicks for 27".

Erk, looking to loose some epidermis?
Okay, Okay, I'll accept your word they are great. {:)

"Terry Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> DRS wrote:
>> "Terry Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> That's what I said! But it's USPS. They're adding on USD12.50 for
>> USPS pickup because they couldn't be bothered going to the post
>> office. The actual USPS rate isn't so exorbitant.

> Oh. I am starting to wonder if I shouldn't get back into selling
> bicycle books. The yanks seem so determined to shoot themselves in
> the foot. Is Amazon shipping within a month these days?

I haven't bought from Amazon in a while. They weren't too bad when I did,
even though the books were actually shipped from an island in the Caribbean.

>> You know I'm really thinking I should have got a bike with 27" wheels
>> instead of 700. There's heaps of fat slicks for 27".

> Erk, looking to loose some epidermis?
> Okay, Okay, I'll accept your word they are great. {:)

Say what? Grip is a function of the tyre's stickiness and the size of the
contact patch. Slicks by definition offer the greatest amount of rubber on
the road. All other things being equal then you'll be less likely to lose
some epidermis with slicks than with a treaded tyre. Since I ride on the
road I don't need tread but because my hybrid's rims are wider than a road
bike's rims it's damn near impossible to get slicks for it. There's only a
handful of 700x28 slicks about, most distributors in Oz don't carry the full
range (Conti do but I've been put off them), and in any event I'm not
convinced about the wisdom of putting 28s on my rims. So, when I find a
700x32 slick with a good reputation for both grip and durability which isn't
sold here I either have to pay a premium or ride around knowing I've bought
an inferior tyre locally. But there's premiums and premiums, of course.
For the price plus postage this bloke wanted I could have a pair of
Gatorskins fitted while I waited and still walk away with change. Anyway, I
found a bloke in New York with stock and reasonable postage.

--

A: Top-posters.

>Originally posted by Terry Collins Is Amazon shipping within a mont
>these days

Funny you should say that. I order a whole bunch of cycling relate
stuff from third party sellers on Amazon on Sat. I received the firs
package this morning!!!! I was amazed to say the least! There are stil
a few items remaining to be sent from other sellers, but this speed
delivery certainly impressed me

It's a DVD of 'American Flyers' in case you were wondering

hipp

-

DRS wrote:

>>>Has anyone personally imported tyres from America to Oz? How much
>>>did it cost? I've just had an estimate from a dealer of USD40-45!
>>>Deal killer! A pair of the damn things weigh less than a kg.

I've ordered from aebike.com after advice from here. Hasn't arrived yet,
but should be soon. Even letters are slow from USPS.

Post charge is US$19 min. More economical if you order more together.
They have 700cx35 from us$13. So say A$65 for the pair delivered.

> You know I'm really thinking I should have got a bike with 27" wheels
> instead of 700. There's heaps of fat slicks for 27".

You mean 26" surely?
Its hard to get anything other than 1¼" for 27", ie 32-630 iso.

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> I've ordered from aebike.com after advice from here. Hasn't arrived
> yet, but should be soon. Even letters are slow from USPS.
>
> Post charge is US$19 min. More economical if you order more together.
> They have 700cx35 from us$13. So say A$65 for the pair delivered.

I'm not after just any old 700x35. They don't have what I want, I went
through their website carefully. I've found what I want now, I know I'm
paying a slight premium getting it in from America but it will make me
happier. I've found out also the places to go for a hybrid with 700 wheels
are the tandem oriented sites.

>> You know I'm really thinking I should have got a bike with 27" wheels
>> instead of 700. There's heaps of fat slicks for 27".

> You mean 26" surely?
> Its hard to get anything other than 1¼" for 27", ie 32-630 iso.

OK, 26". The point is the same. Just because I have 700 wheels doesn't
mean I'm a racer who lives on 700x23s.

--

A: Top-posters.