Shipping Question

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.marketplace' started by Tom, Mar 28, 2005.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    I am trying to send a frame from the USA to Croatia. USPS doesn't take
    a package that large and UPS charges $800 (That's right).

    How the heck do you ship something like that?

    Tags:

  2. Ground Zero

    Ground Zero Guest

    "Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I am trying to send a frame from the USA to Croatia. USPS doesn't take
    > a package that large and UPS charges $800 (That's right).
    >
    > How the heck do you ship something like that?

    First, be sure the payment is real and the money is in your bank account
    before shipping... but you already know that, right?

    Try contacting a shipping broker. Oftentimes they can arrange non-expedited
    shipping with a freight carrier at a significant savings.

    Stuart Winsor
    Ground Zero Cycles
    [email protected]

  3. After a number of years in the mail order business, we shipped frames and
    parts to 45 countries including Bosnia, Croatia, and Northern Ireland......

    I get the visual of riders bunny-hopping over land mines and bomb
    craters.......

    We found the best source for shipping fluctuated with the economy. Try DHL,
    FED EX - First

    Then find out what commercial airlines fly into Croatia these days.

    On a number of occasions, it was less expensive to drive to our local
    airport (Dallas-Fort Worth International) and deliver the frames and parts
    to the freight counter of say British Airways or American Airlines.

    Check the local customs requirements. Customs may need to open the box to
    inspect before it leaves and again when it gets to Croatia.

    Make certain that you have it insured FULLY, and that you track it yourself
    so that you can file the insurance claim if someone wearing snow boots and
    cramp-ons steps on your frame (It happened to us)

    Allan

  4. Tom wrote:
    > I am trying to send a frame from the USA to Croatia. USPS doesn't take
    > a package that large and UPS charges $800 (That's right).
    >
    > How the heck do you ship something like that?

    Go talk to USPS or DHL. We have sent things via USPS this size for about
    $100.

  5. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Thanks, I'll give USPS a call.

    DHL quoted OVER $800!!!

    It would be cheaper to buy a cheapo round trip plane ticket, fly to
    Zagreb with this thing as one piece of luggage, stay at a 4 star hotel
    for a week and return without it.

    Absolutely stunning that companies who claim to be shippers aren't
    interested in doing real business.

    Tom

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > Tom wrote:
    > > I am trying to send a frame from the USA to Croatia. USPS doesn't

    take
    > > a package that large and UPS charges $800 (That's right).
    > >
    > > How the heck do you ship something like that?
    > >

    > Go talk to USPS or DHL. We have sent things via USPS this size for

    about
    > $100.

  6. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    In article <[email protected]0cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Thanks, I'll give USPS a call.
    >
    > DHL quoted OVER $800!!!

    Something doesn't seem right here. Is this for slow shipping or
    overnight? I could see this for overnight, but not for slow-boat
    shipping from any shipper. How big of a box, and how much weight are
    you telling them it is?

    > It would be cheaper to buy a cheapo round trip plane ticket, fly to
    > Zagreb with this thing as one piece of luggage, stay at a 4 star hotel
    > for a week and return without it.
    >
    > Absolutely stunning that companies who claim to be shippers aren't
    > interested in doing real business.
    >
    > Tom
    >
    > Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > > Tom wrote:
    > > > I am trying to send a frame from the USA to Croatia. USPS doesn't

    > take
    > > > a package that large and UPS charges $800 (That's right).
    > > >
    > > > How the heck do you ship something like that?
    > > >

    > > Go talk to USPS or DHL. We have sent things via USPS this size for

    > about
    > > $100.

    newsgroups if possible).

  7. MJR

    MJR Guest

    Tom wrote:
    > I am trying to send a frame from the USA to Croatia. USPS doesn't

    take
    > a package that large and UPS charges $800 (That's right).
    >
    > How the heck do you ship something like that?

    That shipping charge sounds like something someone who makes a living
    by selling stuff on Ebay quoted you!

  8. "MJR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Tom wrote:
    >> I am trying to send a frame from the USA to Croatia. USPS doesn't

    > take
    >> a package that large and UPS charges $800 (That's right).
    >>
    >> How the heck do you ship something like that?

    > That shipping charge sounds like something someone who makes a living
    > by selling stuff on Ebay quoted you!

    Funny you should mention that... I was recently in Prague on the tail end of
    a ski vacation, and beautiful crystal was widely available in many of the
    shops there. I though much of it was quite reasonably priced, so long as you
    brought it home yourself as a carry-on. Whenever I asked about the shipping
    many stores advertised, the cost of the shipping back to the U.S. added
    anywhere from 50 to 100% of the cost of the item. It occurred to me that
    this was where they may be making their real profits. This wasn't the case
    in Rome, though, as shipping stained glass from there back to the States was
    nowhere near as expensive as shipping from Prague.

    Chris

  9. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "David Kerber" <[email protected]_ids.net> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    >> Thanks, I'll give USPS a call.
    >>
    >> DHL quoted OVER $800!!!

    > Something doesn't seem right here. Is this for slow shipping or
    > overnight? I could see this for overnight, but not for slow-boat
    > shipping from any shipper. How big of a box, and how much weight are
    > you telling them it is?
    >
    >> It would be cheaper to buy a cheapo round trip plane ticket, fly to
    >> Zagreb with this thing as one piece of luggage, stay at a 4 star hotel
    >> for a week and return without it.
    >>
    >> Absolutely stunning that companies who claim to be shippers aren't
    >> interested in doing real business.
    >>
    >> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

    >> take

    >> > Go talk to USPS or DHL. We have sent things via USPS this size for
    >> > about $100.

    OK, so far what I've found out is that USPS won't handle the package because
    it has a combined measurement of length and girth over 79 inches.

    DHL and UPS quote about $800 and when I tell them I want slow boat they
    don't even know what the hell I'm talking about.

    I called airfreight and they tell me that they won't ship for an individual
    any more.

    The box is 42" x 8" x 24" and weighs 15 lbs overall.

    As I said, the shipping that I've been able to find costs more than double
    the NEW price of the frame.

  10. S R Sharp

    S R Sharp Guest

    > "David Kerber" <[email protected]_ids.net> wrote in message
    >
    > OK, so far what I've found out is that USPS won't handle the package because
    > it has a combined measurement of length and girth over 79 inches.
    >
    > DHL and UPS quote about $800 and when I tell them I want slow boat they
    > don't even know what the hell I'm talking about.
    >
    > I called airfreight and they tell me that they won't ship for an individual
    > any more.
    >
    > The box is 42" x 8" x 24" and weighs 15 lbs overall.
    >
    > As I said, the shipping that I've been able to find costs more than double
    > the NEW price of the frame.

    Find a local business that routinely ships international. I sent a
    bike to Japan a few years ago for $125. Part of the problem is you're
    shipping to Croatia- I just did a comparison on FedEx.com between
    shipping your package to Croatia vs. Italy and it cost roughly half as
    much to go to Italy.

  11. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    >OK, so far what I've found out is that USPS won't handle the package because
    >it has a combined measurement of length and girth over 79 inches.

    Try to repack the frame so that you can get the box under the USPS size
    limit.

    -----------------
    Alex

  12. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    >OK, so far what I've found out is that USPS won't handle the package because
    >it has a combined measurement of length and girth over 79 inches.

    Try to repack the frame so that you can get the box under the USPS size
    limit.

    -----------------
    Alex

  13. What company did you say you were working for...........?

    Cycles_de_Kunich_LTD.

    Wink, Wink......

    Tom if they want a company, find out what requirements to establish at least
    the appearance of a company in their eyes.

    Quite often its only a name and you can use your personal credit card.

    Allan

    > "David Kerber" <[email protected]_ids.net> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > [email protected] says...
    > >> Thanks, I'll give USPS a call.
    > >>
    > >> DHL quoted OVER $800!!!

    > > Something doesn't seem right here. Is this for slow shipping or
    > > overnight? I could see this for overnight, but not for slow-boat
    > > shipping from any shipper. How big of a box, and how much weight are
    > > you telling them it is?
    > >
    > >> It would be cheaper to buy a cheapo round trip plane ticket, fly to
    > >> Zagreb with this thing as one piece of luggage, stay at a 4 star hotel
    > >> for a week and return without it.
    > >>
    > >> Absolutely stunning that companies who claim to be shippers aren't
    > >> interested in doing real business.

    > >> take

    > OK, so far what I've found out is that USPS won't handle the package

    because
    > it has a combined measurement of length and girth over 79 inches.
    >
    > DHL and UPS quote about $800 and when I tell them I want slow boat they
    > don't even know what the hell I'm talking about.
    >
    > I called airfreight and they tell me that they won't ship for an

    individual
    > any more.
    >
    > The box is 42" x 8" x 24" and weighs 15 lbs overall.
    >
    > As I said, the shipping that I've been able to find costs more than double
    > the NEW price of the frame.

  14. What company did you say you were working for...........?

  15. "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> writes:

    >OK, so far what I've found out is that USPS won't handle the package because
    >it has a combined measurement of length and girth over 79 inches.

    Why don't you repack the box, you'll save about $700 doing so and
    therefore your time would be well spent.

    Christmas 2003 I inadvertently packed my schwinn at home in illinois
    into a bike box that was 1" too large. UPS took the opportunity to
    increase the shipping price from $35 to $112 on that package (sadly,
    my mom had to ship it and i wasn't around to repack it.)

    When you think about it, a 30 x 40 x 1" addition cost me $77 to ship.

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

  16. Ground Zero

    Ground Zero Guest

    "Donald Gillies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > >OK, so far what I've found out is that USPS won't handle the package

    because
    > >it has a combined measurement of length and girth over 79 inches.

    > Why don't you repack the box, you'll save about $700 doing so and
    > therefore your time would be well spent.
    >
    > Christmas 2003 I inadvertently packed my schwinn at home in illinois
    > into a bike box that was 1" too large. UPS took the opportunity to
    > increase the shipping price from $35 to $112 on that package (sadly,
    > my mom had to ship it and i wasn't around to repack it.)
    >
    > When you think about it, a 30 x 40 x 1" addition cost me $77 to ship.
    >
    > - Don Gillies
    > San Diego, CA

    Ergo, why UPS stock does so well..... just more proof that UPS is the
    Antichrist

  17. Actually the AntiChrist is not just one entity but a triumvirate:
    Ebay, PayPal and Ups. :p

    "Ground Zero" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    *snip*
    > Ergo, why UPS stock does so well..... just more proof that UPS is the
    > Antichrist

  18. Ground Zero

    Ground Zero Guest

    > "Ground Zero" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > *snip*
    > > Ergo, why UPS stock does so well..... just more proof that UPS is the
    > > Antichrist

    "Brett Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Actually the AntiChrist is not just one entity but a triumvirate:
    > Ebay, PayPal and Ups. :p

    I stand corrected... thank you. So, what does that make Kinko's/FedEx?

    Stuart "Now I am REALLY Confused" Winsor
    Ground Zero Cycles
    [email protected]

  19. Look into FED EX or that Yellow truck DHL

  20. Damien?