Shipping wheels from USA

Donga

Guest
Help please! Has anyone bought wheels from the US? I picked up a sweet
set on eBay and the vendor has just PMed me saying UPS and USPS won't
carry the box as it is oversized. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Donga

On Apr 28, 3:41 pm, Donga <[email protected]> wrote:
> Help please! Has anyone bought wheels from the US? I picked up a sweet
> set on eBay and the vendor has just PMed me saying UPS and USPS won't
> carry the box as it is oversized. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
>
> Donga

Answering my own post - my bad! The vendor seems to be using a box for
a whole bike and it exceeds the girth limit of 79". A frame box has a
girth of 68", so he just needs to get one of these.

Donga

In article <[email protected]>,
Donga <[email protected]> wrote:

> The vendor seems to be using a box for
> a whole bike and it exceeds the girth limit of 79". A frame box has a
> girth of 68", so he just needs to get one of these.

There are boxes made just for wheels. I used one when I brought a pair
back from the US.

--
Shane Stanley

There are boxes sized just for wheels. When I bought a bike from SJS cycles
in the UK, they shipped the frame in one box and the wheels in another, and
both boxes came through the post. I've also had frames sent through the post
from the US, and a frame box is larger than a wheel box. FWIW, the last time
I had a frame shipped via mail from the US, I was charged $US125 for the
shipping. That was late last year.

Nick

"Donga" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Help please! Has anyone bought wheels from the US? I picked up a sweet
> set on eBay and the vendor has just PMed me saying UPS and USPS won't
> carry the box as it is oversized. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

On Apr 28, 8:45 pm, Shane Stanley <[email protected]>
wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>
> Donga <[email protected]> wrote:
> > The vendor seems to be using a box for
> > a whole bike and it exceeds the girth limit of 79". A frame box has a
> > girth of 68", so he just needs to get one of these.

> There are boxes made just for wheels. I used one when I brought a pair
> back from the US.
>
> --
> Shane Stanley

Thanks Nick and Shane. The bloke has told me he is using a Mavic wheel
box. The dimensions he states fit within the published size limit for
USPS EMS service, except they are telling him it is oversized. I've
asked him to try again with a different clerk.

Donga

wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>
> Donga <[email protected]> wrote:
> > The vendor seems to be using a box for
> > a whole bike and it exceeds the girth limit of 79". A frame box has a
> > girth of 68", so he just needs to get one of these.

> There are boxes made just for wheels. I used one when I brought a pair
> back from the US.
>
> --
> Shane Stanley

Thanks Nick and Shane. The bloke has told me he is using a Mavic wheel
box. The dimensions he states fit within the published size limit for
USPS EMS service, except they are telling him it is oversized. I've
asked him to try again with a different clerk.

Donga

I have been chatting to a guy in the States about some wheels recently. He found it cheaper to send a pair of wheels O/S separately (ie aprox USD100) as opposed to boxed together (ie USD450),because of the oversize issue. That may be a solution for you Donga????? It would also reduce the packaging size???

On Apr 30, 9:26 am, warrwych <warrwych.2pt...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Donga Wrote:
>

> > On Apr 28, 8:45 pm, Shane Stanley <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > > There are boxes made just for wheels. I used one when I brought a

> > pair
> > > back from the US.

> > > --
> > > Shane Stanley

> > Thanks Nick and Shane. The bloke has told me he is using a Mavic wheel
> > box. The dimensions he states fit within the published size limit for
> > USPS EMS service, except they are telling him it is oversized. I've
> > asked him to try again with a different clerk.

> > Donga

> I have been chatting to a guy in the States about some wheels recently.
> He found it cheaper to send a pair of wheels O/S separately (ie aprox
> USD100) as opposed to boxed together (ie USD450),because of the
> oversize issue. That may be a solution for you Donga????? It would also
> reduce the packaging size???
>
> --
> warrwych- Hide quoted text -

Could be, but what I haven't figured yet is why the box dimensions
seem to fit the rules, but USPS are saying they don't.
Two boxes would be more costly than one (quote is $63), but may be a
fall-back, so thanks for the suggestion.
At the moment, I'm just hoping the guy doesn't cancel the sale, which
is a good deal on some sweet wheels.

Donga