SHIRTS: Which One Is Best ??

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by [email protected], Jun 15, 2008.

  1. Tags:

  2. Maple Tree

    Maple Tree Guest

    Hi, for hot weather is there a particular company that is producing the best
    material and shirts for road racing/touring ?

    Thanks

  3. Derk

    Derk Guest

    Maple Tree wrote:

    > Hi, for hot weather is there a particular company that is producing the
    > best material and shirts for road racing/touring ?

    I have Assos shirts that are really wonderful in hot weather imho.

    Derk

  4. Maple Tree

    Maple Tree Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    On Jun 15, 10:46 pm, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Hi, for hot weather is there a particular company that is producing the
    > best
    > material and shirts for road racing/touring ?
    >
    > Thanks

    The Assos SL Sleeveless Jersey is probably the most expensive of its
    kind, so must be the best:
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/r...s-series-sl-sleeveless-jersey-485_4_TRUE.html

    You can't road race with it.

    -ilan

    Why do they not allow people to race in sleeveless jerseys?

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Maple Tree wrote:
    > Why do they not allow people to race in sleeveless jerseys?

    Same reason racing rules required 'white sox over the ankle' for many
    years; Caprice and arbitrary application of authority. See also 'helmet
    rule', 'doping rule', 'bike weight rule', etc.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    <www.yellowjersey.org/>

  6. On Jun 15, 10:58 pm, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > news:[email protected]...
    > On Jun 15, 10:46 pm, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, for hot weather is there a particular company that is producing the
    > > best
    > > material and shirts for road racing/touring ?

    > > Thanks

    > The Assos SL Sleeveless Jersey is probably the most expensive of its
    > kind, so must be the best:http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/product-apparel/2008-ass...
    >
    > You can't road race with it.
    >
    > -ilan
    >
    > Why do they not allow people to race in sleeveless jerseys?

    This is how people dress in the hottest areas on earth:
    http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/939/50160242.JPG so less is
    not always better.

    -ilan

  7. RicodJour

    RicodJour Guest

    On Jun 15, 4:46 pm, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Hi, for hot weather is there a particular company that is producing the best
    > material and shirts for road racing/touring ?

    Hey Sparky, a few observations:
    1). You're a wanker. Maybe not a particularly insightful
    observation, but I thought we should get it out of the way up front.
    2). People that wear flip flops while riding to the beach wear
    shirts, usually of the T or wife beater variety. Most people wear
    jerseys.
    3). I have no idea what you mean by best. When you say best do you
    mean everyone agrees they're the best, best value, best fit, best
    looking or what?
    4). Racing isn't touring, but I'm sure you could pick up a nifty USPS
    LANCE jersey on eBay and be the absolute coolest guy in the sag wagon
    either way!

  8. On Jun 15, 11:17 pm, [email protected] wrote:
    > On Jun 15, 10:58 pm, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > > <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > >news:[email protected]...
    > > On Jun 15, 10:46 pm, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > > Hi, for hot weather is there a particular company that is producing the
    > > > best
    > > > material and shirts for road racing/touring ?

    > > > Thanks

    > > The Assos SL Sleeveless Jersey is probably the most expensive of its
    > > kind, so must be the best:http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/product-apparel/2008-ass...

    > > You can't road race with it.

    > > -ilan

    > > Why do they not allow people to race in sleeveless jerseys?

    > This is how people dress in the hottest areas on earth:http://www.dkimages..com/discover/previews/939/50160242.JPGso less is
    > not always better.
    >
    > -ilan

    Every once in a while I see on TV that mad multi-day running marathon
    in Morocco or wherever, and wonder why none of the competitors wears
    sandals and flowing garb. It just seems the obvious choice,
    particularly when you see what sort of suffering culls the field.

    Joseph

  9. Lou Holtman

    Lou Holtman Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > On Jun 15, 11:17 pm, [email protected] wrote:
    >> On Jun 15, 10:58 pm, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>> <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]...
    >>> The Assos SL Sleeveless Jersey is probably the most expensive of its
    >>> kind, so must be the best:http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/product-apparel/2008-ass...
    >>> You can't road race with it.
    >>> -ilan
    >>> Why do they not allow people to race in sleeveless jerseys?

    >> This is how people dress in the hottest areas on earth:http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/939/50160242.JPGso less is
    >> not always better.
    >>
    >> -ilan

    > Every once in a while I see on TV that mad multi-day running marathon
    > in Morocco or wherever, and wonder why none of the competitors wears
    > sandals and flowing garb. It just seems the obvious choice,
    > particularly when you see what sort of suffering culls the field.
    >
    > Joseph

    Running on sandals? You gotta be kidding.

    Lou

  10. On Jun 15, 11:47 pm, Lou Holtman <[email protected]> wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:

    > >> This is how people dress in the hottest areas on earth:http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/939/50160242.JPGsoless is
    > >> not always better.

    > >> -ilan

    > > Every once in a while I see on TV that mad multi-day running marathon
    > > in Morocco or wherever, and wonder why none of the competitors wears
    > > sandals and flowing garb. It just seems the obvious choice,
    > > particularly when you see what sort of suffering culls the field.

    > > Joseph

    > Running on sandals? You gotta be kidding.
    >
    > Lou

    They run in sand across the Sahara, and it's a constant (losing)
    battle to keep sand out of their socks and shoes. They use silly
    gaiters that don't work, and have huge problems with sores. Sandals at
    least drain sand by themselves. With enough practice to get your feet
    toughened up and ready for the abrasive sand, I'm sure sandals would
    be preferable for at least the sandy sections.

    Joseph

  11. On Jun 15, 11:43 pm, "[email protected]"
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Jun 15, 11:17 pm, [email protected] wrote:
    >

    > > On Jun 15, 10:58 pm, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > > <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > >news:[email protected]....

    > > > The Assos SL Sleeveless Jersey is probably the most expensive of its
    > > > kind, so must be the best:http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/product-apparel/2008-ass...

    > > > You can't road race with it.

    > > > -ilan

    > > > Why do they not allow people to race in sleeveless jerseys?

    > > This is how people dress in the hottest areas on earth:http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/939/50160242.JPGsoless is
    > > not always better.

    > > -ilan

    > Every once in a while I see on TV that mad multi-day running marathon
    > in Morocco or wherever, and wonder why none of the competitors wears
    > sandals and flowing garb. It just seems the obvious choice,
    > particularly when you see what sort of suffering culls the field.
    >
    > Joseph

    A while back, I thought it was a Mexican Indian tribe that was
    cleaning up all these events, except that they were under the
    exclusive care of some unscrupulous guy.
    Apparently, they are the Tarahumara and do race in sandals:
    http://barefootted.com/CCMaraton02S.jpg http://barefootted.com/CCMaraton07B..jpg
    They apparently never made it to Morocco.

    -ilan

  12. Bret

    Bret Guest

    On Jun 15, 2:46 pm, [email protected] wrote:
    > On Jun 15, 10:46 pm, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, for hot weather is there a particular company that is producing the best
    > > material and shirts for road racing/touring ?

    > > Thanks

    > The Assos SL Sleeveless Jersey is probably the most expensive of its
    > kind, so must be the best:http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/product-apparel/2008-ass...
    >
    > You can't road race with it.
    >
    > -ilan

    You can in Colorado:

    11.3.1 All riders must wear jerseys. Sleeveless jerseys are permitted.
    All riders must wear cycling shorts. No article of clothing may
    be worn that serves solely an aerodynamic purpose.

    http://americancyc.web152.discountasp.net/Info/Documents/aca-rule-book.pdf

    Nashbar sells a very good one that's on sale for $15 now:

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...oretype=&estoreid=&pagename=Show All Products

    Bret

  13. Bret

    Bret Guest

    On Jun 15, 3:01 pm, Fred Fredburger
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > > On Jun 15, 10:46 pm, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >> Hi, for hot weather is there a particular company that is producing thebest
    > >> material and shirts for road racing/touring ?

    > >> Thanks

    > > The Assos SL Sleeveless Jersey is probably the most expensive of its
    > > kind, so must be the best:
    > >http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/product-apparel/2008-ass...

    > But it doesn't come in XXL.

    The Nashbar one goes to XXXL for $15. That's a lot of material for the
    money.

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...oretype=&estoreid=&pagename=Show All Products

    Bret

  14. Maple Tree

    Maple Tree Guest

    "Bret" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]m...
    On Jun 15, 2:46 pm, [email protected] wrote:
    > On Jun 15, 10:46 pm, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, for hot weather is there a particular company that is producing the
    > > best
    > > material and shirts for road racing/touring ?

    > > Thanks

    > The Assos SL Sleeveless Jersey is probably the most expensive of its
    > kind, so must be the
    > best:http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/product-apparel/2008-ass...
    >
    > You can't road race with it.
    >
    > -ilan

    You can in Colorado:

    11.3.1 All riders must wear jerseys. Sleeveless jerseys are permitted.
    All riders must wear cycling shorts. No article of clothing may
    be worn that serves solely an aerodynamic purpose.

    http://americancyc.web152.discountasp.net/Info/Documents/aca-rule-book.pdf

    Nashbar sells a very good one that's on sale for $15 now:

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...oretype=&estoreid=&pagename=Show All Products

    Bret

    Hi, just to clarify, I did not specify sleeveless jerseys, I just stated the
    best one's considering materials, etc, short sleeves are fine too!

  15. RicodJour

    RicodJour Guest

    On Jun 15, 7:06 pm, "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > When the men hunt deer, they do so in a most traditional and yet
    > unconventional manner. They pursue the game on foot, until the deer drops
    > from sheer exhaustion; they then butcher it and haul the meat back to their
    > village for their families. They don't even need guns!

    There was an article in Sports Illustrated a bunch of years ago about
    a runner who ran a deer to ground. The deer would bolt and then stop
    when it thought it was out of range, wait until the runner got too
    close, then take off again. The runner had an advantage in being able
    to read the terrain better and would take a more efficient route which
    helped offset the speed imbalance. Eventually endurance won out over
    fleetness of foot, and the runner was able to walk up to the exhausted
    deer and touch it, symbolizing a kill.

    I think that's how the Grand Tours should be run.

    > The men have a game of kick-ball, which they call rarapìpama, or
    > carrera de bola, where they kick and chase a small wooden ball over hill and
    > dale for up to three days straight, and covering 120 miles. This competition
    > is generally between two or more communities.

    North American Native Americans in the Northeast played baggataway,
    which evolved (devolved) into lacrosse. The original game would go on
    for days, have several hundred players per side, goals that were miles
    apart, deaths were not uncommon and the game was a preparation, or
    avoidance of, war.

    I think that's how the Grand Tours should be run. If the Lanterne
    Rouge was killed each day, and nobody could DNS or DNF, I think the
    riding speed would pick up quite a bit. See? No need for dope at
    all! Think of it as Cy-culling. ;)

  16. RicodJour wrote:
    > On Jun 15, 4:46 pm, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Hi, for hot weather is there a particular company that is producing the best
    >> material and shirts for road racing/touring ?

    > Hey Sparky, a few observations:
    > 1). You're a wanker. Maybe not a particularly insightful
    > observation, but I thought we should get it out of the way up front.
    > 2). People that wear flip flops while riding to the beach wear
    > shirts, usually of the T or wife beater variety. Most people wear
    > jerseys.
    > 3). I have no idea what you mean by best. When you say best do you
    > mean everyone agrees they're the best, best value, best fit, best
    > looking or what?
    > 4). Racing isn't touring, but I'm sure you could pick up a nifty USPS
    > LANCE jersey on eBay and be the absolute coolest guy in the sag wagon
    > either way!

    http://www.noisetank.com/integrity/

  17. In article
    <[email protected]m>,
    Bret <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Jun 15, 2:46 pm, [email protected] wrote:
    > > On Jun 15, 10:46 pm, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi, for hot weather is there a particular company that is producing the
    > > > best
    > > > material and shirts for road racing/touring ?

    > > > Thanks

    > > The Assos SL Sleeveless Jersey is probably the most expensive of its
    > > kind, so must be the
    > > best:http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/product-apparel/2008-ass..
    > > .
    > >
    > > You can't road race with it.
    > >
    > > -ilan

    > You can in Colorado:
    >
    > 11.3.1 All riders must wear jerseys. Sleeveless jerseys are permitted.
    > All riders must wear cycling shorts. No article of clothing may
    > be worn that serves solely an aerodynamic purpose.

    > Bret

    That's it, Colorado is on my list. What next, TTs with swim and run
    stages?

    It's a slippery slope!

  18. Bret

    Bret Guest

    On Jun 15, 6:34 pm, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Bret" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > news:[email protected]m...
    > On Jun 15, 2:46 pm, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > > On Jun 15, 10:46 pm, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > > Hi, for hot weather is there a particular company that is producing the
    > > > best
    > > > material and shirts for road racing/touring ?

    > > > Thanks

    > > The Assos SL Sleeveless Jersey is probably the most expensive of its
    > > kind, so must be the
    > > best:http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/product-apparel/2008-ass...

    > > You can't road race with it.

    > > -ilan

    > You can in Colorado:
    >
    > 11.3.1 All riders must wear jerseys. Sleeveless jerseys are permitted.
    > All riders must wear cycling shorts. No article of clothing may
    > be worn that serves solely an aerodynamic purpose.
    >
    > http://americancyc.web152.discountasp.net/Info/Documents/aca-rule-boo...
    >
    > Nashbar sells a very good one that's on sale for $15 now:
    >
    > http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=&sku=...
    >
    > Bret
    >
    > Hi, just to clarify, I did not specify sleeveless jerseys, I just stated the
    > best one's considering materials, etc, short sleeves are fine too!

    You did specifically say that you wanted the best shirt for hot
    weather. If you have a sleeve fetish you should have said so up front
    and maybe have taken this over to rec.bicycles.soc.

    Bret