shiters, cassettes, and the do-it-yourselfer

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Flatlander, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. Flatlander

    Flatlander Guest

    I've got a couple year old Gary Fisher Tassajara with a front sifter that recently went AWOL. My
    bike is a smattering of Deore components with an Acera front derailer thrown in for good measure.
    "No Problem" I say... I'll just use this opportunity to upgrade from Deore to XT on the front
    shifters and brake levers. Well... turns out that 8-speed shifters are not to be found anywhere in
    the current shimano line-up. So... after doing some research here is what I think I'm going to need
    to do to fix my shifter (arg)...

    1) replace shifter with a 9-speed (XT probably)
    2) replace cassette with a 9-speed job
    3) tack on a new chain
    4) pray that everything plays well together

    Does anyone know if there are major problems with a Deore rear derailure, shimano 8-speed rings (not
    sure of level), and the Acera front derailure with this setup? I hate to have to find some old,
    crappy shifters to put back on there.

    thanks!

    -FlatLander

    Tags:

  2. A shy person wrote:

    > I've got a couple year old Gary Fisher Tassajara with a front sifter that recently went AWOL. My
    > bike is a smattering of Deore components with an Acera front derailer thrown in for good measure.
    > "No Problem" I say... I'll just use this opportunity to upgrade from Deore to XT on the front
    > shifters and brake levers. Well... turns out that 8-speed shifters are not to be found anywhere in
    > the current shimano line-up.

    Even if you could find them, I wouldn't recommend buying 8-speed shifters unless they are _very_
    cheap. It makes more sense to upgrade to 9-speed, since the expensive part of this conversion is the
    shifter, and you already need a shifter!

    The only additional parts you need for 9-speed are a new chain and freewheel, and these are normally
    consumable parts anyway--odds are yours are already close to due for replacement.

    Some folks will tell you that you need a lot of other stuff to convert an 8-speed bike to 9-speed,
    but they're wrong.

    > So... after doing some research here is what I think I'm going to need to do to fix my shifter
    > (arg)...
    >
    > 1) replace shifter with a 9-speed (XT probably)
    > 2) replace cassette with a 9-speed job
    > 3) tack on a new chain
    > 4) pray that everything plays well together
    >
    > Does anyone know if there are major problems with a Deore rear derailure, shimano 8-speed rings
    > (not sure of level), and the Acera front derailure with this setup? I hate to have to find some
    > old, crappy shifters to put back on there.

    No major problems, also no minor problems, this will work fine as long as the other parts are in
    decent condition.

    Sheldon "Upgrades" Brown +----------------------------------------+
    | When I am grown to man's estate | I shall be very proud and great, | And tell the other girls
    | and boys | Not to meddle with my toys. | -R. L. Stevenson |
    +----------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  3. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "flatlander" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've got a couple year old Gary Fisher Tassajara with a front sifter that recently went AWOL. My
    > bike is a smattering of Deore components with an Acera front derailer thrown in for good measure.
    > "No Problem" I say... I'll just use this opportunity to upgrade from Deore to XT on the front
    > shifters and brake levers. Well... turns out that 8-speed shifters are not to be found anywhere in
    > the current shimano line-up. So... after doing some research here is what I think I'm going to
    > need to do to fix my shifter (arg)...
    >
    > 1) replace shifter with a 9-speed (XT probably)
    > 2) replace cassette with a 9-speed job
    > 3) tack on a new chain
    > 4) pray that everything plays well together
    >
    > Does anyone know if there are major problems with a Deore rear derailure, shimano 8-speed rings
    > (not sure of level), and the Acera front derailure with this setup? I hate to have to find some
    > old, crappy shifters to put back on there.
    >
    > thanks!
    >
    > -FlatLander

    Well, Sheldon's got it pretty much covered, I see. However, it does look like he missed the
    shitters... Although that is more of an interior design thing.

    Jon Bond

  4. The derailer makes no difference. It's the shift levers that make a 9 speed a 9 speed or an 8 an 8,
    a 7 a 7, and so on.

    At least with Shimano.

  5. Oh,I should add (because someone will bring it up) That you should be sure to get a model that can
    handle your gear range.

  6. Thomast41

    Thomast41 Guest

    BTW 9speed shifters work on 8spd stuff

    Tom

  7. On 26 Jun 2003 11:17:15 -0700, [email protected] (flatlander) wrote:

    >I've got a couple year old Gary Fisher Tassajara with a front sifter that recently went AWOL. My
    >bike is a smattering of Deore components with an Acera front derailer thrown in for good measure.
    >"No Problem" I say... I'll just use this opportunity to upgrade from Deore to XT on the front
    >shifters and brake levers. Well... turns out that 8-speed shifters are not to be found anywhere in
    >the current shimano line-up. So... after doing some research here is what I think I'm going to need
    >to do to fix my shifter (arg)...

    If it's just the front shifter that's gone and the rear is still in good condition, you should be
    able to just buy a new front shifter -- those are the same on 3x8 or 3x9 trains. Course, then you
    don't get either the upgrade or matched wear amounts on left and right.

    Jasper

  8. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On 26 Jun 2003 11:17:15 -0700, [email protected] (flatlander) wrote:

    >1) replace shifter with a 9-speed (XT probably)
    >2) replace cassette with a 9-speed job
    >3) tack on a new chain
    >4) pray that everything plays well together

    I believe that if you get the 9sp shifters and attach the derailleur cable to the wrong side of the
    mounting bolt, you can leave everything else alone.