Shitmano breaks my heart again

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Chris, Apr 11, 2003.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Dammit, XT is getting the XTR revamping. I don't care what they do to the cranks, brakes, wheelsets,
    levers, cassettes: I don't use Shimano for any of that and I don't plan to start.

    I do, however, think current XT shiftpods are the shiznit - and does anyone (who has used them)
    actually dig the STI brake lever? Not only is it a pain in the ass to use, but one crash can ruin
    your shifters AND levers! That's smart thinking.

    Oh well...better work a few extra shifts and grab some '03 XT shift pods while I can.

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2003/news/mar13

    Chris

    Tags:

  2. Chris wrote:
    > Dammit, XT is getting the XTR revamping. I don't care what they do to the cranks, brakes,
    > wheelsets, levers, cassettes: I don't use Shimano for any of that and I don't plan to start.
    >
    > I do, however, think current XT shiftpods are the shiznit - and does anyone (who has used them)
    > actually dig the STI brake lever? Not only is it a pain in the ass to use, but one crash can ruin
    > your shifters AND levers! That's smart thinking.
    >
    > Oh well...better work a few extra shifts and grab some '03 XT shift pods while I can.
    >
    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2003/news/mar13
    >
    > Chris

    I've got one bike with XT pods right now, and I've got a brand new XT kit coming. My coach got the
    new XTR stuff. As soon as he (and I, for that matter) gets a frame to put it on, I'm gonna try it
    out for a few rides. I think I might buy a kit of XTR Junior year while I can still get the kickass
    sponsored price :)

    Jon Bond

  3. David L

    David L Guest

    > Dammit, XT is getting the XTR revamping. I don't care what they do to the cranks, brakes,
    > wheelsets, levers, cassettes: I don't use Shimano for any
    of
    > that and I don't plan to start.
    >
    > I do, however, think current XT shiftpods are the shiznit - and does
    anyone
    > (who has used them) actually dig the STI brake lever? Not only is it a
    pain
    > in the ass to use, but one crash can ruin your shifters AND levers!
    That's
    > smart thinking.

    Exactly, it is smart thinking for Shimano. When people start breaking stuff they will have to pay
    the price. Hence, top o' the line bikes come with XTR, when one thing breaks they will most lickely
    replace with XTR. Building up a frame, this is good to know in advance.

    Dave

    > Oh well...better work a few extra shifts and grab some '03 XT shift pods while I can.
    >
    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2003/news/mar13
    >
    > Chris

  4. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    > Dammit, XT is getting the XTR revamping. I don't care what they do to the cranks, brakes,
    > wheelsets, levers, cassettes: I don't use Shimano for any
    of
    > that and I don't plan to start.
    >
    > I do, however, think current XT shiftpods are the shiznit - and does
    anyone
    > (who has used them) actually dig the STI brake lever? Not only is it a
    pain
    > in the ass to use, but one crash can ruin your shifters AND levers!
    That's
    > smart thinking.

    I've done a dozen or so rides with the '03 XTR levers. They haven't been a pain to use, and I prefer
    their operation to XT shiftpods. Crash survivability does concern me, but they are a joy to use.

    -Jeff

  5. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

  6. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    SRAM.

    -John X.0rgan

  7. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    > I've done a dozen or so rides with the '03 XTR levers. They haven't been a pain to use, and I
    > prefer their operation to XT shiftpods.

    Are they any better than the XTR "rapid fire" pods. To me the new XTR feels cheap, plastic and
    unnecessary, would not buy the first year.

    Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/fu99/MTB.html

  8. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

  9. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I've done a dozen or so rides with the '03 XTR levers. They haven't
    been
    > > a pain to use, and I prefer their operation to XT shiftpods.
    >
    > Are they any better than the XTR "rapid fire" pods. To me the new XTR
    feels
    > cheap, plastic and unnecessary, would not buy the first year.

    I've never tried the XTR shift pods. The levers on my new ride are the '03 XTR Dual Control levers,
    as opposed to the XTR STI levers, which the original poster asked about. Plastic looks aside, they
    have worked very well for me, so far. Time will tell, as far as durability goes.

    -Jeff

  10. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > > -John X.0rgan
    > >

    > Hehe...sounds like a pornstars name. ;^)
    >
    > Mike

    LOL... well only in my spare time. No bike parts involved.

    -John Shimano Free Morgan

  11. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > > I've done a dozen or so rides with the '03 XTR levers. They haven't been a pain to use, and I
    > > prefer their operation to XT shiftpods.
    >
    > Are they any better than the XTR "rapid fire" pods. To me the new XTR feels cheap, plastic and
    > unnecessary, would not buy the first year.
    >
    > Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/fu99/MTB.html

    If you don't buy them the first year how do you expect to get them at all when they are going to be
    something different the following year? :)
    --

  12. >SRAM

    > Fire up MTB 03

    Yeah but the new SRAM trigger shifters are an option, so much so that they do the X-7 in trigger
    shifter or X-7 Grip shift and both work with the other SRAM (ESP) stuff, which is exactly what we
    are saying the shitmani don't do ........

    Cheers

    Chris

  13. Jd

    Jd Guest