Shock as incidence of autism soars in Inverness city (1 in 49)

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by john, Dec 6, 2003.

  1. john

    john Guest

    http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/news.asp?storyvar=8469

    Article from the Inverness Courier Website

    Headline: Shock as incidence of autism soars in city

    AUTISM levels among Inverness children are almost double the national
    average, an audit into city schools has revealed.

    The study by Highland Council education department has found as many as one
    primary age child in 49 has been diagnosed with, or awaiting diagnosis of,
    Autistic Spectrum Disorder in the Inverness area.

    Local campaigner Sheila Kyle of Action Against Autism described the figure
    as astronomical and called for investigations into why the number was so high.

    "You do not get epidemics of genetic disorders," she declared. "There must
    be an environmental trigger or triggers to this condition. I would urge NHS
    Highland to look at the changes in child health management that have taken
    place and see how they link to the rise in autism."

    Council principle educational psychologist Stephen Iliffe acknowledged the
    figure, amounting to more than 100 children, was much higher than
    expected.

    "We would normally be expecting about half that in line with national and
    international figures," he said.

    "We don't know if it is the highest level in Scotland, but we do know it
    is high compared with most other areas. Incidence around the Highlands
    generally is not so high."

    Nor could the high figures for Inverness be explained away by children
    from outwith the area coming to the city for specialist education, Mr
    Iliffe said. Though the figures did include some children resident in
    Speyside or Ross-shire, most lived in the Inverness area and attended
    mainstream schools.

    Mr Iliffe revealed he did not place too much emphasis on the high figures
    the study revealed.

    "We're looking at levels of needs rather than diminishing them. We are
    being very honest about this," he said. "It could just be a bump in the
    figures. They do vary from time to time and, in future, you might expect
    them to fall again."

    The study was geared towards finding what facilities might be required
    when the children reach secondary school, Mr Iliffe explained.
    "In general terms, it's easier for primary schools to manage better
    because they are smaller and pupils stay in one classroom," he added.
    "Some children find secondary schools much more difficult.

    The high figures present major cost implications for the authority. An
    Institute of Psychiatry report put the cost of a lifetime's care for an
    individual affected by autistic spectrum disorders at £500,000 for minor
    conditions and almost £3 million in severe cases.

    Inverness Education, Culture and Sport committee chairman Roddy Balfour
    (Ardersier, Croy and Petty) described the figure as frighteningly high and
    described the £200,000 required to address special educational needs as one
    of the biggest strains on the education budget. "We are doing everything we
    can to encourage inclusion in schools, but it
    is costing us money," he commented.

    NHS Highland Health Board child health commissioner Sally Amor could not
    comment on or explain the council's one in 49 figure without being certain
    of the criteria used, but agreed she would have expected the proportion to
    be closer to the national figure of 60 per 10,000 children under eight.

    The health board was now working with the council to get a better sense of
    the figures involved, she explained.

    "Because we are talking about spectrums, we are dealing with disorders
    across the whole scale," she said.

    Link: http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/news.asp?storyvar=8469
     
    Tags:


  2. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    I am sorry for the people in this particular city. However, I don't see how
    learning about this helps us. What is your point?

    Thanks.

    Jeff
     
  3. dickinson

    dickinson Guest

    Jeff wrote:
    > I am sorry for the people in this particular city. However, I don't
    > see how learning about this helps us. What is your point?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Jeff


    Well, knowing as to how Whale has operated in the past, he is probably
    desperately searching for the Inverness vaccination figures.
     
  4. Zeronic

    Zeronic Guest

    Jeff wrote:
    >
    > I am sorry for the people in this particular city. However, I don't see how
    > learning about this helps us. What is your point?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Jeff



    I think it's all part of 'seeing the big picture'.

    --

    best wishes etc,

    Zeronic AT uk2 DOT net
     
  5. Barry Hunt

    Barry Hunt Guest

    "dickinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Jeff wrote:
    > > I am sorry for the people in this particular city. However, I don't
    > > see how learning about this helps us. What is your point?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Jeff

    >
    > Well, knowing as to how Whale has operated in the past, he is probably
    > desperately searching for the Inverness vaccination figures.
    >
    >


    If, as is likely, the Inverness vaccination figures are NOT significantly
    different from other places, then this is clear proof that vaccination is
    NOT related to autism.

    Well it's not really proof - but it's a damn sight more valid than the crap
    that "John" usually spews on to this newsgroup.

    Does he get his rocks off on the thought of all those children dying of
    nasty diseases?

    Barry Hunt
     
  6. dickinson

    dickinson Guest

    Barry Hunt wrote:
    > "dickinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Jeff wrote:
    >>> I am sorry for the people in this particular city. However, I don't
    >>> see how learning about this helps us. What is your point?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Jeff

    >>
    >> Well, knowing as to how Whale has operated in the past, he is
    >> probably desperately searching for the Inverness vaccination
    >> figures.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > If, as is likely, the Inverness vaccination figures are NOT
    > significantly different from other places, then this is clear proof
    > that vaccination is NOT related to autism.
    >
    > Well it's not really proof - but it's a damn sight more valid than
    > the crap that "John" usually spews on to this newsgroup.
    >
    > Does he get his rocks off on the thought of all those children dying
    > of nasty diseases?


    Who knows, but he does seem to perseverate on the subject of
    vaccination? Rather ironic considering that AC's tend to perseverate on
    their favourite topics/subjects/hobbies etc
     
Loading...