Shock Maintenance

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Fred, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Fred

    Fred Guest

    I purchased a Specialized RockHopper with front and back suspension last year to replace an older
    model with no suspension. What type of maintenance do I need to do on the suspension? The dealer I
    purchased it from wasn't very furthcoming and told me just to bring it in for a yearly tune-up.

    Thank you Tim [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I purchased a Specialized RockHopper with front and back suspension last year to replace an older
    > model with no suspension. What type of maintenance do I need to do on the suspension? The dealer I
    > purchased it from wasn't very furthcoming and told me just to bring it in for a yearly tune-up.
    >
    > Thank you Tim [email protected]

    Wipe the mud and dust off of the sliding parts after a ride. Spray some silicone on them once in a
    while or a dab of "Slick Honey".

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted.

  3. Gregr

    Gregr Guest

    On 27 Jun 2003 10:28:04 -0700, [email protected] (Fred) wrote:

    >I purchased a Specialized RockHopper with front and back suspension last year to replace an older
    >model with no suspension. What type of maintenance do I need to do on the suspension? The dealer I
    >purchased it from wasn't very furthcoming and told me just to bring it in for a yearly tune-up.
    >
    >Thank you Tim [email protected]

    Go to the manufacturers web site, they usually have maintenance instructions for their late
    model forks.

    Depending on how much you ride, in what conditions, and how abusive your style of riding is will
    determine how often to perform maintenance.

    IMHO a fluid change should be performed annually, which in most cases pretty easily done with
    minimal tools. For some things like changing bushings and seals, depending on the fork model you may
    need to purchase some special tools. But for fluid changes it is generally not necessary.

    If you let us know what the manufacturer and model of your fork is, we can provide more detail of
    what may be involved, and what pitfalls to avoid.

  4. Fred

    Fred Guest

    It is a Judy Rock Shox on a 2003 Specialized Rock Hopper.

    Thanks!