Shock pump on road bike?

fauxpas

May 20, 2006
I noticed shock pump claim to pump to really hi pressure and will likely have a schraeder valve. I have a presta-2-schraeder adapter and was thinking how bad normal mini pumps are, and asked myself, could the shock pump be used?

fauxpas said:
I noticed shock pump claim to pump to really hi pressure and will likely have a schraeder valve. I have a presta-2-schraeder adapter and was thinking how bad normal mini pumps are, and asked myself, could the shock pump be used?
Shocks only take a very small volume of air, so yes the pumps will go to very high pressure, but they don't move much air. I'd imagine as long as your converter works (it might need a thread on the schreader side) it will work as long as you don't mind taking about a million strokes to fill the tire volume.

If you buy a decent mini you should be able to get 100-110psi out of it.

--brett

I've wasted money on 3 useless pumps that are lucky to get 50 real mcoy psi...

Would love to take my floor pump everywhere...

fauxpas said:

You could use a full sized frame pump like the Zefal Hpx. They will get to 100 psi and they don't require 100 strokes and the arms of Schwarzenegger to get there.

You do have a floor pump at home? If not get one.

The mini pump is only to pump up after a flat on the road. The ones with the skinny shafts give the higher pressures.

fauxpas said:

Topeak make a pump called "Morph" which is a mini floor pump. High pressures are easy with this.

Cheers

Geoff

fauxpas said:
Again theres decent minis and **** ones. I've got a ultra tiny Barbieri carbon that I have to work to get pressure with but 200 strokes and it'll do around 100psi (not **** but not fantastic either, but the tiny size is convenient on long rides when me jersey pockets are full of other ****).

On the other hand I've also got a Sigma (I think DeltaJet) which is a bit bigger but still fits comfortably in a jersey pocket that converts to kind of a mini floor pump. The pump head pulls out on a hose etc .. this puts 120psi in without really needing to work all that hard.

--brett

I don't carry a pump any more, just a couple of CO2 carts and tubes, mini patch kit (park), tyre levers and a multi-tool.... oh, and most important a mobile 'phone.

I've got a mini pump that is also a CO2 inflator. Pretty slick....I don't think I'd mess with anything other than CO2.

The whole rig is small enough to fit in my under seat bag.