Shocks survey

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bomba, Apr 7, 2003.

  1. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    I've read so many stories here about people having problems with rear air shocks, so it's time for a
    quick survey. Who here has owned, and not had any problems with rear air shocks?

    Of course, this is just part of my business model for launching my brand new revolutionary
    suspension system, made with a brand new, revolutionary material which I shall call "elastomer",
    which is guaranteed not to suck, blow, burst, leak or squeak*.

    * - May not actually be true.

    Tags:

  2. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > I've read so many stories here about people having problems with rear air shocks, so it's time for
    > a quick survey. Who here has owned, and not had any problems with rear air shocks?

    I've got about 2,500 miles on my Sid. So far so good.

  3. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I've read so many stories here about people having problems with rear air shocks, so it's time
    > > for a quick survey. Who here has owned, and not had any problems with rear air shocks?
    >
    > I've got about 2,500 miles on my Sid. So far so good.

    I'll put in a 2nd vote for the SID. As much as it pains me because of my hatred for RS, my SID did
    take a beating and kept going, but is now in the hands of another.
    --
    Slacker

  4. bomba wrote:

    > I've read so many stories here about people having problems with rear air shocks, so it's time for
    > a quick survey. Who here has owned, and not had any problems with rear air shocks?
    >
    > Of course, this is just part of my business model for launching my brand new revolutionary
    > suspension system, made with a brand new, revolutionary material which I shall call "elastomer",
    > which is guaranteed not to suck, blow, burst, leak or squeak*.
    >
    > * - May not actually be true.

    Three sids on three different bikes, all worked just fine.

    Fox AVA on the latest ride, so far, so good.

  5. "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've read so many stories here about people having problems with rear air shocks, so it's time for
    > a quick survey. Who here has owned, and not had any problems with rear air shocks?
    >
    > Of course, this is just part of my business model for launching my brand new revolutionary
    > suspension system, made with a brand new, revolutionary material which I shall call "elastomer",
    > which is guaranteed not to suck, blow, burst, leak or squeak*.
    >
    > * - May not actually be true.

    Cane Creek AD-10 for 4+ years and I have not had any problems at all. I have not even added air in
    over 6 months.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

  6. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    I have had my Cane Creek AD - 10 since 2000, still going strong.

    Fire up MTB 03

  7. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    > I've read so many stories here about people having problems with rear air shocks, so it's time for
    > a quick survey. Who here has owned, and not had any problems with rear air shocks?

    I, for one. SID and two Floats; zero problemos.

    > Of course, this is just part of my business model for launching my brand new revolutionary
    > suspension system, made with a brand new, revolutionary material which I shall call "elastomer",
    > which is guaranteed not to suck, blow, burst, leak or squeak*.
    >
    > * - May not actually be true.

    Gonna call it "catapult"?!?

    Bill "had a Thudbuster for years" S.

  8. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > I've read so many stories here about people having problems with rear air shocks, so it's time for
    > a quick survey. Who here has owned, and not had any problems with rear air shocks?
    >
    > Of course, this is just part of my business model for launching my brand new revolutionary
    > suspension system, made with a brand new, revolutionary material which I shall call "elastomer",
    > which is guaranteed not to suck, blow, burst, leak or squeak*.
    >
    > * - May not actually be true.

    Fox Float RC on my Tracer for 2 years now. Just regular preventative maintenance and one seal kit
    still going strong. The bushings wore out and Fox replaced them for free at a race. Just kick the
    tires, lube the chain and ride, y'know like Bills SS.

    Mike - ahhhhh multigeared FS bliss. ;^)

  9. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    --
    http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I've read so many stories here about people having problems with rear air shocks, so it's time
    > > for a quick survey. Who here has owned, and not had any problems with rear air shocks?
    > >
    > > Of course, this is just part of my business model for launching my brand new revolutionary
    > > suspension system, made with a brand new, revolutionary material which I shall call "elastomer",
    > > which is guaranteed not to suck, blow, burst, leak or squeak*.
    > >
    > > * - May not actually be true.
    > >

    > Fox Float RC on my Tracer for 2 years now. Just regular preventative maintenance and one seal kit
    > still going strong. The bushings wore out and Fox replaced them for free at a race. Just kick the
    > tires, lube the
    chain
    > and ride, y'know like Bills SS.
    >
    > Mike - ahhhhh multigeared FS bliss. ;^)

    Fox Float R on my Jamis, no probs, would change it to an AVA if I could snag one at a
    reasonable price

  10. Westie

    Westie Guest

    > I've read so many stories here about people having problems with rear air shocks, so it's time for
    > a quick survey. Who here has owned, and not had any problems with rear air shocks?
    >
    > Of course, this is just part of my business model for launching my brand new revolutionary
    > suspension system, made with a brand new, revolutionary material which I shall call "elastomer",
    > which is guaranteed not to suck, blow, burst, leak or squeak*.
    >
    > * - May not actually be true.

    Early days yet, but my SID is fine and dandy.
    --
    Westie

  11. Well, my front suspension (elbows) are still good after 48 years, and my rear... is still padded and
    effective at absorbing shocks, so I guess you could say "no problems yet" (unlike Darsh ;-))

    Steve

  12. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    > Well, my front suspension (elbows) are still good after 48 years, and my rear... is still padded
    > and effective at absorbing shocks, so I guess you could say "no problems yet" (unlike Darsh ;-))

    But your elbows AREN'T full of air! (Work on it :)

    Bill "thought you were 47 like me, old man" S.

  13. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    bomba wrote:
    > I've read so many stories here about people having problems with rear air shocks, so it's time for
    > a quick survey. Who here has owned, and not had any problems with rear air shocks?

    Moi. Fox Float RC circa 2000. No maintenance, no problems except bushing wear which has nothing to
    do with it being an air shock.

    Greg

  14. John Spann

    John Spann Guest

    bomba wrote:
    > I've read so many stories here about people having problems with rear air shocks, so it's time for
    > a quick survey. Who here has owned, and not had any problems with rear air shocks?
    >
    > Of course, this is just part of my business model for launching my brand new revolutionary
    > suspension system, made with a brand new, revolutionary material which I shall call "elastomer",
    > which is guaranteed not to suck, blow, burst, leak or squeak*.
    >
    > * - May not actually be true.

    Cane Creek AD-12 still good after 2-3 years.

    John Spann

  15. I've had almost every air shock made, Cane Creek AD4,5,10,12, Cloud nine, Stratos xc, xc pro and all
    have been excelent. Coil overs, however are another story alltogether. Jim

  16. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    bomba wrote:
    > I've read so many stories here about people having problems with rear air shocks, so it's time for
    > a quick survey. Who here has owned, and not had any problems with rear air shocks?
    >
    > Of course, this is just part of my business model for launching my brand new revolutionary
    > suspension system, made with a brand new, revolutionary material which I shall call "elastomer",
    > which is guaranteed not to suck, blow, burst, leak or squeak*.
    >
    > * - May not actually be true.

    Perhaps you should also ask about the rider's weight. I've been told that I'm too heavy for an air
    shock (about 225 lbs), but only the fox air shocks will fit my Jekyll. There's a rumor that Fox is
    working with Cannondale on a coil-over version, but with Cannondale's recent $$ problems, I doubt
    that's going forward at any real speed (if at all).

    My Fox Float RC held up for about 5k-miles before I had problems with the negative air chamber not
    releasing pressure. Fixed under warranty and hasn't recurred (yet :)), but I wore a groove in the
    side of it this winter doing too much riding in snow on the roads (cinders) without wiping the
    shock off after each ride. SO, it's going back again -- but this time it's my fault. It didn't do
    that last summer when I did a lot of dusty riding in the east coast drought -- and I did remember
    to wipe it then.

    David

  17. Bobby

    Bobby Guest

    Who sells Taiwan-made parallelogram (ala Tamer Tricky Dick) shock seatposts?

    Overheard a discussion on Thudbusters and the Tricky Dick. Buzz was that there were Taiwan-made and
    China-manufacturered shockposts that were said to be more effective than Tamer's that were being
    imported. Anybody know the make/model, and who sells 'em? Prices?

    Also heard allegations of slow shipments from Tamer - some unhappy Tamer consumers. Thudbuster's
    shock absorbing plastic (?) springs were allegedly popping out also.

    Also, a Seattle-area machine shop is gearing up to make a more heavy-duty "Tricky Dick" style
    shockpost. Isn't Tamer's design protected by patents?

    > "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I've read so many stories here about people having problems with rear air shocks, so it's time
    > > for a quick survey. Who here has owned, and not had any problems with rear air shocks?
    >
    > I, for one. SID and two Floats; zero problemos.
    >
    > > Of course, this is just part of my business model for launching my brand new revolutionary
    > > suspension system, made with a brand new, revolutionary material which I shall call "elastomer",
    > > which is guaranteed not to suck, blow, burst, leak or squeak*.
    > >
    > > * - May not actually be true.
    >
    > Gonna call it "catapult"?!?
    >
    > Bill "had a Thudbuster for years" S.

  18. Teague

    Teague Guest

    I had a Cane Creek AD-10 for 2 years. Did a lot of urban and freeriding on
    it. Held up really well considering the abuse I put it through. Didn't leak air as much as my
    friend's SID did, but the SID still worked really well for him.

  19. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    I have a Fox Float RL, after one year of aggressive riding on technical trails it began leaking.
    Eyelet inserts, between the shocks lower pivot and the shock is wearing out quite fast, every 500 km
    or so, may be related to bike construction though, it is a Titus Switchblade, and it seems Intense
    Tracers also have this problem. Titus has had Fox develope a new anondized pin and spacers etc that
    supposedly solves this problem.

    FS bikes demand more maintenance. To take a positive view one can look at the wear of certain parts
    as comparable to chains, cassettes, and break pads, they wear out and have to replaced regularly.

    I am not convinced yet but for the next bike I will certainly consider getting coil suspension,
    possibly romic in the rear and one of those new coil Marathons for the front. Will increase weight
    marginally but it may be worth it as I am not racing, just bike for fun.

    Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html