Shoe/Cleat/Axle Pedal Question

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Supabonbon, Jun 2, 2003.

  1. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    I'm planning on buying regular roadie pedals for my road bike (I've been using Shimano mtb pedals).
    My question is this: which road pedals/cleats bring the bottom of the foot closest to the axle? From
    what I've seen of Look-type pedals, the cleat seems to raise the bottom of the sole almost a cm
    above the axle. This would make me change my seat height and swap out my stem (and possibly cables)
    to retain my current position, which I'd like to avoid. Thanks!

    SBB

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    supabonbon wrote:
    > I'm planning on buying regular roadie pedals for my road bike (I've been using Shimano mtb
    > pedals). My question is this: which road pedals/cleats bring the bottom of the foot closest to the
    > axle? From what I've seen of Look-type pedals, the cleat seems to raise the bottom of the sole
    > almost a cm above the axle. This would make me change my seat height and swap out my stem (and
    > possibly cables) to retain my current position, which I'd like to avoid.

    For Looks, you would not need to change cables, maybe not even stem if there's room for a 2mm
    spacer. Yes, the stack height is quite high but feet are not right on axle with SPDs either so the
    difference may be less than you fear.

    I understand Speedplay pedals place feet very near axle, and SPD-R nearer than Look.

    ~PB

  3. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    > supabonbon wrote:
    > > I'm planning on buying regular roadie pedals for my road bike (I've been using Shimano mtb
    > > pedals). My question is this: which road pedals/cleats bring the bottom of the foot closest to
    > > the axle? From what I've seen of Look-type pedals, the cleat seems to raise the bottom of the
    > > sole almost a cm above the axle. This would make me change my seat height and swap out my stem
    > > (and possibly cables) to retain my current position, which I'd like to avoid.
    >
    > For Looks, you would not need to change cables, maybe not even stem if there's room for a 2mm
    > spacer. Yes, the stack height is quite high but feet are not right on axle with SPDs either so the
    > difference may be less than you fear.
    >
    > I understand Speedplay pedals place feet very near axle, and SPD-R nearer than Look. ~PB

    Thanks PB. How are Speedplays for 'foot burn'? It's the main reason* why I'm getting away from SPDs.
    (FYI: I'm using them with Sidi Dominators, and I'll probably pick up a pair of Genius.) And what is
    it with SPD-Rs that riders seem to dislike? I guess another part of my question regards adaptors.
    I'd imagine that if I bought a pair of Shimano shoes with Shimano pedals, I'd avoid an adaptor and
    thereby bring my foot closer to the axle. So, the pedal I chose would influence the choice of shoe,
    and vice versa. Also: I'm about maxxed out on my steerer. It's steel, though, so I'd trust it
    enought to get a 2mm in there. But if I'm raising my feet a cm, that 2mm wouldn't be helping much.

    /s

    * That, and, of course, the 'Will To Upgrade'.