Shoe Comparison

Fujiman

Sep 25, 2007
I am going to SPD-SL pedals and will need new shoes; I am looking at Sidi, Shimano and Diadora. Question is do any of these shoes run a little wider than the other? I have tried on regular width shimano and sidi and the Sidi felt a little wider, I know they make a mega shoe which is a wide width. Does anyone know how the Diadora’s run as far as width?

Fujiman said:
I am going to SPD-SL pedals and will need new shoes; I am looking at Sidi, Shimano and Diadora. Question is do any of these shoes run a little wider than the other? I have tried on regular width shimano and sidi and the Sidi felt a little wider, I know they make a mega shoe which is a wide width. Does anyone know how the Diadora’s run as far as width?
My personal opinion: shoe width from narrow to wide (relatively speaking fpr the comparable same size): shimano, sidi, diadora.

tfstrum said:
The Sidi Mega works for me. Hard to tell in your note if you need wide or feel the biggest of the 3 in regular size will work. It was weird but 1/2 size larger was way to tight and 1/2 size bigger than that still wasn't right.

Mega doesn't come in all models though.

http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/Items.asp?Cc=SH%2DSID%2DROAD
I am sort of in the middle, sometimes regular width fits and other times I go with a wide width. With a cycling shoe it's hard to tell just trying a shoe on in the LBS, might feel different after riding in them. Just wanted some other opinions, I am riding a Lake mountain shoe and it feels ok, I have to be careful how tight I pull the strap, sometimes my feet cramp after 40 or 50 mile ride, I thought going to a wider platform (pedal, cleat might help).

You should try the Mega. Can't hurt, and Sidi are great shoes. My old pair lasted 20 something years...

Good luck.

Diadora are narrowish. Regular Sidis are narrowish. Sidi Megas are a bit better, but not a lot better in my estimation. Specialized shoes are wide, but Specialized does that stupid Microsoft Windows thing where they pretend to know what's best for you.....so they put varus wedge in their shoes that is certainly not needed by a lot of cyclists. Right now, I'm in Shimano SH-R215s. They're not quite as wide as Specialized--but close--but the Shimano toe box seems more roomy.

What ever you do, don't buy shoes based on the name. Buy based on what fits and feels good.

alienator said:
Specialized shoes are wide, but Specialized does that stupid Microsoft Windows thing where they pretend to know what's best for you.....so they put varus wedge in their shoes that is certainly not needed by a lot of cyclists.
I've used the Specialized wedge for several years, not having previously needed it, and found that I don't notice it. If you don't like it, you can just take out the inner sole and replace it with an aftermarket one or one from an old pair of shoes. I wouldn't write off Specialized on that basis. They fit my wide feet perfectly.