Shoe Covers

Fletchnj05

Jan 8, 2005
Just a quick question about why am I seeing so many people wearing shoe covers in the middle of summer? I think I can understand why you would in a time trial, but in a crit or Road Race? What am I missing?

Fletchnj05 said:
Just a quick question about why am I seeing so many people wearing shoe covers in the middle of summer? I think I can understand why you would in a time trial, but in a crit or Road Race? What am I missing?

According to one of Leonard Zinn's articles in VeloNews during Le Tour, some pros (such as Andreas Kloden) were wearing a brand of shoe different than that required by the team sponsor and were thus required to wear shoe covers to hide the non-sponsor brand logo. If you are seeing this your local races, it could be for a similar sponsorship reason or perhaps the racers you see are copying the pros without knowing the real reason.

John M said:
According to one of Leonard Zinn's articles in VeloNews during Le Tour, some pros (such as Andreas Kloden) were wearing a brand of shoe different than that required by the team sponsor and were thus required to wear shoe covers to hide the non-sponsor brand logo. If you are seeing this your local races, it could be for a similar sponsorship reason or perhaps the racers you see are copying the pros without knowing the real reason.
I'm talking about guys riding in CAT 3/4 races with little to no sponsorship. So I guess there is no edge at all!