Shoe Fit

new2bikes

Banned
Feb 6, 2005
Can someone please tell me how bike shoes are supposed to fit? I'm going to buy my first pair. Should they be snug, or should they be a little on the large size? I've heard both opinions. Do you buy them a little large knowing that your feet will swell? Or snug so the shoe, foot, and pedal are all in sync? How much room should there be between the toe and the front of the shoe? How should they feel width-wise? In general, I wear a women's 7 in regular everyday shoes and a women's 7.5 in running shoes. Thanks, in advance, for your advice.

Hi

I try on shoes in the afternoon when my feet will be at their most swollen, in the socks that I'll be using. That seems to replicate most conditions.

I think just snug is the best. If a brand of shoe doesn't fit, try another one until you get one that's right for your feet.

I always get a shoe that is at least half size larger. I want my toes to be comfortable and at least can move. Snug is good but in my case, its not. And buy a shoe in the afternoon when your feet is a bit swollen. Good luck! ;)

i bought my shoes fairly snug, they are a perfect fit to my foot. i did that because shoes that are big on me always give me blisters so i guess buy the fit that you like in your day to day foot wear.

My cycling shoes are fairly snug - and they can only accommodate a thin pair of socks. For cold weather cycling I add shoe covers rather than thick socks.

I did the same re: tried on at the end of the day w/the socks I wear. I also asked the lbs to set up a bike so that I could try them out (w/o the cleats inserted). It helped me further assess which shoes fit the best.

Just like my 'everyday' shoes, I needed a pair that were thin in the heel and had room in the toes.

I have the same type of foot. I have a wider foot and a narrower heel. What make and model shoe did you buy? Did you buy them 1/2 size larger than your normal shoe size?

tjocesq said:
I did the same re: tried on at the end of the day w/the socks I wear. I also asked the lbs to set up a bike so that I could try them out (w/o the cleats inserted). It helped me further assess which shoes fit the best.

Just like my 'everyday' shoes, I needed a pair that were thin in the heel and had room in the toes.

I used specialized as well as diadora in the past; my new road shoes are carnac (I got a great deal on them). I believe the model is the carnac quartz--I got them right after they were discontinued.
I wear a size 8 womens and size 39 euro.
the carnacs are the best fitting shoe I have used up to this point.
the european shoes fit me the best b/c--narrow where I need it and wide where I need it.
what shoe are you using now?

I don't currently own a pair of shoes. I tried on Sidis and they felt a little narrow. I can't wear Nike sneakers as they tend to run narrow. I am a solid medium width but if any shoe runs on the narrow side, they will not fit properly. So, I am just asking for suggestions based on the experience of those with my same foot type.

I normally wear a 6.5 shoe which also presents a problem as I've noticed that some of the shoes do not run in half sizes.

tjocesq said:
I used specialized as well as diadora in the past; my new road shoes are carnac (I got a great deal on them). I believe the model is the carnac quartz--I got them right after they were discontinued.
I wear a size 8 womens and size 39 euro.
the carnacs are the best fitting shoe I have used up to this point.
the european shoes fit me the best b/c--narrow where I need it and wide where I need it.
what shoe are you using now?

have you checked either teamestrogen or terrycycles websites? these sites specialize in women specific cycling clothes, etc.

Terry did carry shoes--I believe diadora's. If I remember correctly--a few makers carry 1/2 sizes--just can't recall. I'll post once I remember which makers.

It does sound like we have the same foot type. I ran into the same problem w/sidi and nike.
shimano makes shoes now as well, not sure of the fit--but they do make smaller sizes.

I would recommend specialized shoes. If you have a relatively narrow foot go for a women's specific design. But if your foot is average to broad then go for a men's shoe. There is not a substantial difference between a men's and women's shoe in most cases, except the women's shoe tends to be a little narrower, offers a little more heel support, and the colours of the shoe are a little more feminine.

I've heard that shimano make a decent set of shoes as well.