Shoe Help! Desperate!

JPeG87

Feb 26, 2012
Alright, hoping someone here can help me out. I know little about cycling and am new to the sport, however am participating in a cross country trip this summer with Bike and Build. Currently I am having issues with finding shoes. I am planning on using mountain bike shoes to make walking off the bike easier, with crankbros candy 3s. My feet are large, size 50 and completely flat. I wear orthotics in my regular walking shoes. I recently purchased a pair of Sidi Giau shoes and was advised by a local bike shop that they are a good fit. They are fine for a little bit but after about 15 minutes of using them they become quite painful. With my running insoles (not orthotics) they are a little better and only painful when I stand up. I should note, I only just received my bike so all riding with them thus far has been in a spin class. My basic question is should I return them or keep them and hope they break in? Or get orthotics? Thank you, any input would be a great help!

~Jesse

Sidi's typically run fairly narrow - so if you have narrow feet they will be fine, otherwise a wider shoe like a Specialized model (they do multiple widths) might be a better bet.

Cycling shoes typically do not break in. The uppers are usually designed to not stretch and the soles are often designed to be stiffer than a normal shoe. Hardcore stretching with a suitable device might give you a small amount of extra wiggle room but I'd hazzard a guess and say that you'd either break your shoes before that happens.

eSoles make some good inserts/arch supports. Steve Hogg's website has some great info on inserts, arch supports and shoes...

http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/

swampy1970 said:
Sidi's typically run fairly narrow - so if you have narrow feet they will be fine, otherwise a wider shoe like a Specialized model (they do multiple widths) might be a better bet.
Cycling shoes typically do not break in. The uppers are usually designed to not stretch and the soles are often designed to be stiffer than a normal shoe. Hardcore stretching with a suitable device might give you a small amount of extra wiggle room but I'd hazzard a guess and say that you'd either break your shoes before that happens.
eSoles make some good inserts/arch supports. Steve Hogg's website has some great info on inserts, arch supports and shoes...
http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/
I can vouch for eSoles. I got a pair of custom insoles from them when they were called FootFitting. The insoles have performed perfectly since then and resolved the issues with feet that I was having. European shoes tend to fit more narrow--like Sidi. Besides Specialized, you might also look at Shimano shoes or possibly Louis Garneau (Canadian).

Do NOT ever rely on a bike shop to tell you if your shoes fit. Take those back and then start a real search for shoes.

Go to every shop within whatever you consider a reasonable driving distance. Try on every shoe they have in your size. Put weight on the front of the shoe as if you are pedaling, and stand there for a few minutes. Are they comfy? Notice any hotspots? Make sure the straps aren't tight (they only need to keep your feet from pulling out of the shoe while pedaling). Can you wiggle your toes? Walk around for a minute or two and go through the same checklist.

Now the important part. Bring a notepad and pen with you. Write down the store, the shoe brand and model, and the size. Add any impressions you've made based on your short test. Keep accurate notes.

Try the next pair of shoes and do it again. When you finish with all the shoes at that shop, go to another and repeat. Continue until you've exhausted every shop in the area.

Look at your notes. Which shoes were most comfy? Go back and try those on again.

When you're done, buy the ones that fit the best.

IMO, cost is no issue with shoes. If they fit, buy them. If they don't, don't. There's nothing worse than getting 3 hours into a 6 hour ride and having toes start to go numb because you were too cheap to buy the pair that fit best. Don't be that person. Get the shoes that fit!

So should I return them? They are a size 50 and they are Sidi Mega, so they are supposed to be wide. Trouble is they are not wide where my feet are wide, which is in the arch since I do not have an arch. I have exhausted every bike shop in my city and not a single one has a cycling shoe over size 48. The ones I got I ordered and took to a bike shop to ask their opinion.

JPeG87 said:
So should I return them? They are a size 50 and they are Sidi Mega, so they are supposed to be wide. Trouble is they are not wide where my feet are wide, which is in the arch since I do not have an arch. I have exhausted every bike shop in my city and not a single one has a cycling shoe over size 48. The ones I got I ordered and took to a bike shop to ask their opinion.
Yeah, you should return them. It serves no purpose pedaling in pain other than to possibly dissuade you from riding. It could very well be worth traveling to some other bike shops outside your city in order to try some different shoes.

OP, you might try on some of the Specialized or Lake brands. Both companies make shoes that fit wide feet and (while not your case) very high arches. You won't know how well your wide arch area fits until you get a specific shoe model on, orthotics and all.

As others above have suggested, do spend time in the store with them strapped up snug and weighted.

One last thing since you may be hard to find a good fit for, when you finally find a pair that fit and feel good after a few hundred miles of proof...buy FIVE pairs of them before the manufacturer discontinues them or 'updates' them.

I think I will end up returning them and ordering a different brand. Like I said, no store in my area stocks that big of a shoe, so I pretty much have to order them and try them out from there. Thanks for the help.

If you are willing to spend the money, there are a couple of companies that make custom cycling shoes. Might be worth a look. D2 and Bont come to mind.

Originally Posted by JPeG87 .

I think I will end up returning them and ordering a different brand. Like I said, no store in my area stocks that big of a shoe, so I pretty much have to order them and try them out from there. Thanks for the help.

You need a two-pronged approach. One is to find a shoe built to a last that is shaped like your foot. The other is to work with your podiatrist to find out what adaptations need to be made to your shoes, whether it be your walking orthotics, new cycling orthotics, or aftermarket footbeds.

I understand your issues with the Sidi Mega shoes and the fact they're wide in the wrong spot. I can't get on with the Mega's either since I need wideness in the toe box/forefoot area, which is what Sidi's don't have. I would suggest before you go anywhere to try on shoes that you call shops first and ask what shoes they have or can get that have wide/roomy toe boxes. Specialized shoes fit that bill for me. Also, some of the lower priced, lower models from Shimano have roomy-ish toe boxes. Unfortunately, Shimano's "elite" or highest spec shoes have a more narrow toe box. What oldbobcat outlined is a good track to follow.