Shoe insoles

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by bartsie, Apr 6, 2013.

1. bartsie

bartsie New Member

My first-ever pair of shoes exploded after about 3,500 miles (well actually only one shoe did) and I got another pair. They fit fine in the shop and work mostly fine when riding, except for one thing (on each side).

The ankle joint (or whatever this thing is called that sticks inward; some shoes have a white circular patch over it) rubs against the top/side edge of the shoe and gets sore. After 100 miles the shoes and feet still don't get along. Moreover, if/when it finally warms and I go to thinner socks, the feet will sink a further millimeter and it may get a bit worse.

This got me thinking: shall I try raising my feet a bit by getting the inserts? Are there issues with them; would they compromise the cleat placement?

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Inward pointing ankle thing: medial maleolus. Could insoles raise your feet? Good ones like Superfeet insoles will. How much will depend on which model you choose. An insole won't cause issues with cleat placement but can cause circulation/fit issues if your shoe is a low volume shoe and can't accommodate the extra volume taken up by the insole. A bonus will be that your feet just might feel better after a long ride as a lot of the stock insoles in cycling shoes are paper thin pieces of kack.

3. vspa

vspa Active Member

thats not a whole lot of miles but ok for a budget pair of cycling shoes

4. bartsie

bartsie New Member

Sounds Latin:)

Thanks for the tip about Superfeet. Looking at their site, there's a model that doesn't go all the way forward which could be an option if the full-length ones leave the toes too little space.

5. bartsie

bartsie New Member

$120. Made me kind of proud to outlast them, I must be tough! Not as tough as to have an extra pair though so I had to get something right that day or stop the whole bicycle thing. Everyone suggested Sidi but I didn't find them - might still have to.

6. vspa

vspa Active Member

buy your next pair on the bike shop, after you try them on your feet, comfort is critical when buying cycling shoes,

7. bartsie

bartsie New Member

I did - walked in them. The LBS didn't put the bike on the stand and have me pedal a bit, is that normal? The problem only appeared after I started riding - don't remember whether it was immediate or not.

8. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Don't get set on one brand of shoes as that one brand's last may not suit your feet. Sidi are excellent shoes, but no matter how much I like what they've done with their shoes, they just don't work on my feet. Brands to consider should also include Specialized, Shimano, DMT, Northwave, Gaerne, Giro, Bontrager, Fizik, Pearl Izumi, Lake, Louie Garneau. Yeah, I know that I named most of the brands out there, but the point is bike shoes are a lot like a box of chocolates: you don't know what you'll think until you put that box of chocolates on your feet. Of all the things in cycling that need to be tried out first, shoes are one of the biggies. I'd advise you go to multiple LBS--even if you have to drive a bit...hell, make a day of it--to try on shoes. Note that all shoes from a particular brand may not fit the same. For some brands, racier shoes have a different fit than less expensive shoes or shoes not intended for racing. Great suffering can come from a long day in the saddle while wearing ill fitting shoes, so take all the time that you need to insure the shoes you get will coddle your feet like a foot fetishist.

9. bartsie

bartsie New Member

Thanks. I now appreciate the fact that choosing the shoes amounts to more than taking the credit card out.

Still, a whole day in my current situation is out of the question. Sidi seems the preferred choice of both (custom + Rapha) and (fenders + frame bag + beard) crowds around here, so looks like a good initial estimate. Unfortunately they are as rare in the shops as they are prevalent on riders's feet: apparently people learn their Sidi fit and then keep ordering online. Either that or the bloody things last forever, what with their replaceable bits.