shoe rec wanted

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Bill, Mar 10, 2004.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    I am looking at these to replace my old shoes

    note I will be beginning the SEAL Warning Order workout then
    the 12-week to SEAL BUD/S workout prepared by Stew Smith

    ASICS Gel-DS Trainer IX - $95

    New Balance 900 - $95

    Nike Air Pegasus 2004 - $70

    all three are rated high in the various running magazines,
    just wondering if anyone has any personal exp. with them

    Tags:

  2. Topcounsel

    Topcounsel Guest

    >I am looking at these to replace my old shoes

    WHAT SHOES ARE YOU REPLACING?

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Bill wrote:
    > I am looking at these to replace my old shoes
    >
    > note I will be beginning the SEAL Warning Order
    > workout then the 12-week to SEAL BUD/S workout
    > prepared by Stew Smith
    >
    > ASICS Gel-DS Trainer IX - $95
    >
    > New Balance 900 - $95
    >
    > Nike Air Pegasus 2004 - $70
    >
    > all three are rated high in the various running magazines,
    > just wondering if anyone has any personal exp. with them

    The Pegasus is a mid-weight cushioning shoe, the other two
    are lightweight trainers with "stability" features.

    I saw some unfavourable comments about the latest DS trainer--
    it's gotten heavier apparently, and not everyone liked it. I
    went with the DS Verdict (lightweight cushioning) instead
    and liked it (see my review).

    Like Top asked -- what sort of shoes do you wear now ? Do
    you wear flats for racing, and if so, which ones ?

    Cheers,

  4. Topcounsel

    Topcounsel Guest

    >I saw some unfavourable comments about the latest DS trainer--

    I will add to them. I like the ASICS brand as a rule, but
    the last 2 incarnations of the DS-Trainer have departed from
    the original concept for the shoe. It now is a weirdly-
    muddled and, for me, an injury-risking, design. While still
    pretty spartan in overall design, it has a too-stiff-for-the-rest-of-
    it midsole stiffener, which prevents needed flexibility in
    the forefoot/midfoot transition area. For me, this puts
    undue stress on my achilles tendons. ASICS has other similar
    models that I would consider, but the newer DS-Trainers I
    own are retired as running shoes.

  5. Open Piper

    Open Piper Guest

    The Nikes are CRAP! DO NOT BUY THEM!

    [email protected] (Bill) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am looking at these to replace my old shoes
    >
    > note I will be beginning the SEAL Warning Order
    > workout then the 12-week to SEAL BUD/S workout
    > prepared by Stew Smith
    >
    > ASICS Gel-DS Trainer IX - $95
    >
    > New Balance 900 - $95
    >
    > Nike Air Pegasus 2004 - $70
    >
    > all three are rated high in the various running magazines,
    > just wondering if anyone has any personal exp. with them

  6. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Actually replacing some old version of Asics Gel Trainers I
    got in late 2002

    I have used Nike Air Pegasus also before

  7. Topcounsel

    Topcounsel Guest

    >The Nikes are CRAP! DO NOT BUY THEM!

    Probably 8 out of 10 of the Nike models are garbage IMHO,
    and even a cursory inspection of their Made-in-China
    "craftmanship" (e.g., ungrommetted laceholes crudely punched
    through the cloth; very roughly-cut insoles) will tell you
    this. On top of that, Nike has a penchant for frankly
    bizarre, misguided designs (e.g., the Shox) that should lead
    one to question the company's judgment as a whole. That
    being said, Nike still makes good competition shoes for
    track and cross-country, probably because these models are
    still derived from early Bowerman designs (?). Many runners
    do remain loyal to particular models (e.g., Pegasus, Skylon,
    Perseus) with a history.

  8. Gentolm

    Gentolm Guest

    top i agree the shylon was the 1st running shoe i ever owned
    and it was great , what do you think of the tailwind besides
    over priced?? plodzilla

    TopCounsel wrote:

    > >The Nikes are CRAP! DO NOT BUY THEM!
    >
    > Probably 8 out of 10 of the Nike models are garbage IMHO,
    > and even a cursory inspection of their Made-in-China
    > "craftmanship" (e.g., ungrommetted laceholes crudely
    > punched through the cloth; very roughly-cut insoles) will
    > tell you this. On top of that, Nike has a penchant for
    > frankly bizarre, misguided designs (e.g., the Shox) that
    > should lead one to question the company's judgment as a
    > whole. That being said, Nike still makes good competition
    > shoes for track and cross-country, probably because these
    > models are still derived from early Bowerman designs (?).
    > Many runners do remain loyal to particular models (e.g.,
    > Pegasus, Skylon, Perseus) with a history.

  9. Jim Johnson

    Jim Johnson Guest

    "TopCounsel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >The Nikes are CRAP! DO NOT BUY THEM!
    >
    > Probably 8 out of 10 of the Nike models are garbage IMHO,
    > and even a
    cursory
    > inspection of their Made-in-China "craftmanship" (e.g.,
    > ungrommetted
    laceholes
    > crudely punched through the cloth; very roughly-cut
    > insoles) will tell you this.

    Where are the shoes that you consider having good
    craftsmanship made?

    >On top of that, Nike has a penchant for frankly bizarre,
    >misguided designs (e.g., the Shox) that should lead one to
    >question the company's judgment as a whole.

    The only poor judgement Nike showed in relation to the Shox
    was not making enough of them. Asics/New Balance/Adidas/etc.
    would take Shox sales numbers in a heartbeat. I personally
    don't run in them and probably never will but that doesn't
    mean they're bad technology. No better or worse than EVA
    IMO, just different.

    Jim Johnson

  10. Jim Johnson

    Jim Johnson Guest

    "TopCounsel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >The only poor judgement Nike showed in relation to the
    > >Shox was not
    making
    > >enough of them. Asics/New Balance/Adidas/etc. would take
    > >Shox sales
    numbers in
    > a heartbeat.
    >
    > By this logic, Ford should have made more Pintos (those
    > are the ones that exploded). Who is buying the Shox, and
    > who actually runs in them? I do
    not
    > see them on folks I know who run regularly. In any event,
    > from what I
    know of
    > knees and running, such a design is pure foolishness and
    > what one other
    poster
    > to this NG referred to as "eye candy" for the uninformed.

    I would agree with this, sales figures do not prove the
    worth of a shoe. But I see quite a few people running in the
    Shox and I always make it a point to ask them how they like
    their shoes since we sell them at our shop. I've never had
    one person say they disliked these shoes. Now granted, most
    of the people who buy them are under the age of 30 and are
    casual runners but they're still happy with the choice they
    made. I don't think the Shox is bad technology or dangerous
    just different. It basically does the same thing a Pegasus
    does just in a different package.

    Jim Johnson