shoe sizes

david462

Apr 3, 2006
right now im using a pair of tennis shoes on platform peddles. it hurts.

i was going to buy a pair of road shoes and probably pedals later if not now from performance before all the sales end this weekend.

i dont know how they size these pedals. i wear a size 12 but the sizes are like 40 for road shoes. is it even a good idea to buy a road shoe online (im trying to save as much money as possible cause im just getting into road cycling)?

its either i buy the cheap ones online without trying them on or i stick with tennis shoes for the summer.

also, do shoes come with whatever they need to clip into the pedals?

No the pedals come with the cleats.

I would try on the shoes before you buy, the sizes in cycling shoes are all over the place, even if you try and match your size with British standard, American standard and eastern standard.

I also found some of the makes of cycling shoes very narrow, try on the shoes find the type and size you like and then source it over the net.

The prices of mountain bike shoes dropped considerably over the last couple of years and over here a decent pair will cost you about U$60.

I have spent more money shipping shoes back that don't fit than I would have just going to the local LBS and buying them at retail+tax. It seems that one company's 44 is another's 42 or 47. If it works the first time over the net, than consider yourself lucky. Once you find the one manufacturer you like and get the correct size--future purchases are much easier. Shoes and helmets seem to fit better when you buy them in person.

Just my personal opinion.

Your milage may vary.

Cheers

Visit Bike shop...try on at least 8 kinds of shoe, ignore the price.
Price is NOT important, continued comfort is THE main factor.
When you find one that's perfect, check out the price on the net and buy it that way.
And when you buy the pedals, they should come with the cleats (mounting hardware) which screw into the sole of the shoe.
Note: the soles are incredibly stiff, for efficient power transfer. They're not designed for walking.
See my other post under another Shoe Thread.

Price is not so important as for other sports as quality bike shoes typically last 4 years of constant use. How much would 8 pairs of running shoes cost you?

Hey MikesBytes...how are Sydney roads...I don't mean traffic, but are the roads in good nick, are there lots of traffic lights, do you get a decent run, do you have to go far to get some decent bitumen....

Aussie Steve said:
Hey MikesBytes...how are Sydney roads...I don't mean traffic, but are the roads in good nick, are there lots of traffic lights, do you get a decent run, do you have to go far to get some decent bitumen....
Hi Steve, Sydney is fairly congested. Another way to look at is that in Sydney, 1% of commuting is done by bicycle compared with 5% in Perth. Having said that, 1% is still a lot of people. Bunch rides are good, because you take up road that you wouldn't ride by yourself and theres a couple of good routes accessible from where I live. Cheers Michael. BTW, which bike shoes do you have?

Aussie Steve said:
Visit Bike shop...try on at least 8 kinds of shoe, ignore the price.
Price is NOT important, continued comfort is THE main factor.
When you find one that's perfect, check out the price on the net and buy it that way.
Bit of a mixed message, don't you think?

Part of the price you pay for an item at a LBS is for the privilege of trying an item before you buy it. I don't think its right to abuse an LBS by trying stuff from them with no intention of buying.

I have no qualms about buying from online retailers, however, this is for things that I am certain will fit/be compatible/can be self-installed (eg. tyres and spare parts). If I know there are clothes that will fit, I would be very happy to buy them online.

When I need help with something, such as trying items to check fit, or getting advice about parts compatibility, the premium you pay at your LBS pays for their expertise and service.

--
n

On Saturday I tried on about 12 different models of shoes from 4 different manufacturers. All of them fit differently. Out of the 12, only 2 were comfortable in any size. For one of those, the 45 was best, and for the other, the 46 was best, even though my foot measures 44. Bottom line is that it is impossible to buy shoes without trying them on.

MikesBytes:
I have two pairs of shoes- my older pair, bought in 1996, still using sometimes, is Adidas, black with three pink stripes (don't like the pink) with laces and a huge tongue with a small velcro strap...
preferred shoes are my Vittoria something - can't recall the model...bought in 1999, they have 3 velcro straps, shoe is mainly yellow. The velcro gave up a few months ago so I bought some heavy duty velcro in a hardware store and handstitched them on with upholstery needles - tough job but refused to pay $25.00 to a shoe repairer....
Look pedals - model 257 I think...or are they 256 ????

Perth people are mainly dumb-arsed country bumpkins...(sorry Gclark8 but I'm from Melbourne originally) and my workmates think "you live too far away" (22 kms!!!) and "why don't you drive to work like normal people" and stupid comments like that....

Aussie Steve said:
MikesBytes:
Perth people are mainly dumb-arsed country bumpkins...(sorry Gclark8 but I'm from Melbourne originally) and my workmates think "you live too far away" (22 kms!!!) and "why don't you drive to work like normal people" and stupid comments like that....
hahahahaa

this is funny!

I am thinking to move the the northern suburb in Sydney later on, at the moment i am in the eastern suburb and it is not possible for me to commute to work ... sad mate!