Shoe sizes

Hi All,

Here is some anecdotal shoe size observations. I have been trying in
vain to find some stock not too expensive road cycling shoes that fit
well. (My home-made shoes are in the works, but that is a different
thread!).

My feet are about 305mm long and 120mm wide. Here is a list of shoes
by various manufacturers and how they fit (or don't):

Diadora Geko road 50: fits ok, a bit narrow in the sole.
Duegi vintage 48: narrow sole, but somehow fits like a glove anyway.
Sidi Genius 5 Mega 50: too short, too narrow, baggy upper, loose heel.
Nike Altea II 49: too short.

Non-cycling:
Nike running 49.5 (15): good fit
Diesel casual 49 (16): perfect
Giro casual 50 (15): good fit

So WTF? Why can't manufacturers use a sizing system based on what
length foot they are supposed to fit?

Joseph

On Jan 24, 11:41 am, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Diadora Geko road 50: fits ok, a bit narrow in the sole.
> Duegi vintage 48: narrow sole, but somehow fits like a glove anyway.
> Sidi Genius 5 Mega 50: too short, too narrow, baggy upper, loose heel.
> Nike Altea II 49: too short.
>
> Non-cycling:
> Nike running 49.5 (15): good fit
> Diesel casual 49 (16): perfect
> Giro casual 50 (15): good fit
>
> So WTF? Why can't manufacturers use a sizing system based on what
> length foot they are supposed to fit?

Because we live in an imperfect world <g>.

BTW, your Sidi Mega fit sounds like mine IRT loose heels. My feet are
wide enough that the upper fit OK, but the heels were totally loose.
The regular model in a half-size (which are, according to sources,
built on the same sole length but are cut wider) works very well for
me. IOW, if you like Sidis (I like the Gen. V buckle a whole lot), you
might be able to get a pair that fits. --D-y