Shoes, and a cheap place for them in Brisbane?

Eug K

Guest
hi,

I've never owned a pair of cycle shoes before (too $$$!), but am now considering getting a pair.

I've read that when used with clipless pedals, you can increase your cycling efficiency because you
can "pull-up". How much of a difference does it make?

My local bike shop also mentioned that they make a difference even if you use them with normal
pedals. How would it help? I'm thinking maybe the stiff sole will take some strain off the feet.

Any other advantages? I ride a road bike, and do a bit of walking to get to places after I cycle.

The shop had this pair of Nike Katos for $150. Anyone knows if that's a good price?

http://www.wheel2wheel4bikes.com/products.php?mcat=3&scat=67&prodid=127

and finally... is there like a well-known place in Brisbane that sells shoes and nicks at really
good prices?

thanks!

--
[email protected] is a valid email address. Don't remove anything!

"eug k" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I've read that when used with clipless pedals, you can increase your cycling efficiency because
> you can "pull-up". How much of a difference does it make?

V big diff particularly on hills.

> My local bike shop also mentioned that they make a difference even if you use them with normal
> pedals. How would it help? I'm thinking maybe the stiff sole will take some strain off the feet.

I use road shoes and pedals (Look and Campag pedals, Time and Sidi shoes). More comfortable than
ordinary shoes for anything over about 3k.
> Any other advantages? I ride a road bike, and do a bit of walking to get to places after I cycle.

Once set up correctly, clipless locate your feet safely and consistently. I take off my shoes or
change to walking shoes/sandals when I have to walk.

> The shop had this pair of Nike Katos for $150. Anyone knows if that's a good price?
>
> http://www.wheel2wheel4bikes.com/products.php?mcat=3&scat=67&prodid=127

Dunno

> and finally... is there like a well-known place in Brisbane that sells shoes and nicks at really
> good prices?

Try Uni (at Uni Q) or Ridgways (Stafford) - discontinued lines are cheapest if they have your
size. Mark Lee

:
: I've read that when used with clipless pedals, you can increase your cycling efficiency because
: you can "pull-up". How much of a difference does it make?

You will never know how you did without them. Riding is so much more enjoyable.

Just to rub salt in... I go to the US from time to time for work... We get severely ripped off. I
bought two pairs of shoes over their... Priced the same ones here and even after our dodgy exchange
rate I paid less for both than I would have for one over here... Including cleats for both...

I'm also interested in an outlet that sells wider casual style MTB shoes. I have a pair of
Carnacs, but they aren't the best for walking around in & the bright yellow isn't exactly an
understated look.

Shimano are much too narrow for my short wide feet. Any suggestions welcome, I'm based in Brissie
but happy to net shop as long as they accept returns if the shoes don't fit.

John L.

eug k <[email protected]> wrote:

> I've read that when used with clipless pedals, you can increase your cycling efficiency because
> you can "pull-up". How much of a difference does it make?

That isnt even half of it, you always have your foot right on the sweet spot for pedaling, you dont
fall off when the terrain is a bit bumpy etc.

> Any other advantages? I ride a road bike, and do a bit of walking to get to places after I cycle.

I have spd and they are ok to walk in, you can get some very hardwearing casual style answer(?)
brand shoes. Mine pretty much look like they did when I bought them a few years ago and the sole is
really only a little worn where I put my foot down.

> The shop had this pair of Nike Katos for $150. Anyone knows if that's a good price?

I have tried some nikes on, at a nike outlet in perth, and they were the cheapest, crummiest, most
sh*t feeling shoes I have ever tried, of course ymmv!

I have two pairs of shoes to shed myself so I might put a pic up so people can check them out.

Bah.

eug k wrote: <<snip>>
>The shop had this pair of Nike Katos for $150. Anyone knows if that's a good price?

Victor Cycles had Nikes for about $130. I'm not sure if they were Katos or not.

>http://www.wheel2wheel4bikes.com/products.php?mcat=3&scat=67&prodid=127
>
>and finally... is there like a well-known place in Brisbane that sells shoes and nicks at really
>good prices?

I've found that prices really vary quite a lot from store to store. The bike shop on Albert Street
(Brisbane Bicycle Sales and Hire) is often a bit cheaper than some of the other stores. For example,
they had Shimano shoes for $140 whilst Victor Cycles just around the corner in Charlotte Street had
them for $160. However Victor Cycles had a much better range of shoes. Bottom line is that it pays
to shop around.

Cheers.

[email protected] wrote:
> eug k wrote: <<snip>>
>>The shop had this pair of Nike Katos for $150. Anyone knows if that's a good price?
>
> Victor Cycles had Nikes for about $130. I'm not sure if they were Katos or not.
>
>>http://www.wheel2wheel4bikes.com/products.php?mcat=3&scat=67&prodid=127
>>
>>and finally... is there like a well-known place in Brisbane that sells shoes and nicks at really
>>good prices?
>
> I've found that prices really vary quite a lot from store to store. The bike shop on Albert Street
> (Brisbane Bicycle Sales and Hire) is often a bit cheaper than some of the other stores. For
> example, they had Shimano shoes for $140 whilst Victor Cycles just around the corner in Charlotte
> Street had them for $160. However Victor Cycles had a much better range of shoes. Bottom line is
> that it pays to shop around.

Hi,

hm, i was always under the impression that any shop in the city would be pricey, due to high rent.
Went past Victor Cycles (it's the one with tons of jerseys on the wall right?) several times. They
even look expensive. :) will check them both out anyway, thanks.

What about the bigger places like Riders Cyclery, Logan Road Cycles, etc? Is it like the retail
trade where bigger = higher volume = cheaper?

thanks

--

Mark Lee <[email protected]> wrote:
> "eug k" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> I've read that when used with clipless pedals, you can increase your cycling efficiency because
>> you can "pull-up". How much of a difference does it make?
>>

> V big diff particularly on hills.

Even without proper pedals?

>> My local bike shop also mentioned that they make a difference even if you use them with normal
>> pedals. How would it help? I'm thinking maybe the stiff sole will take some strain off the feet.
>>
> I use road shoes and pedals (Look and Campag pedals, Time and Sidi shoes). More comfortable than
> ordinary shoes for anything over about 3k.

as in, 3km? It's getting awfully tempting. :)

thanks

--

John Doe <[email protected]> wrote:
> : I've never owned a pair of cycle shoes before (too $$$!), but am now considering getting a pair.
> :
> : I've read that when used with clipless pedals, you can increase your cycling efficiency because
> : you can "pull-up". How much of a difference does it make?
>

> You will never know how you did without them. Riding is so much more enjoyable.

hrm, I can only afford to "step-up" one at a time, i.e. shoes first, then pedals. Is the difference
that apparent when used with normal pedals?

> Just to rub salt in... I go to the US from time to time for work... We get severely ripped
> off. I bought two pairs of shoes over their... Priced the same ones here and even after our
> dodgy exchange rate I paid less for both than I would have for one over here... Including
> cleats for both...

argh - I just browsed ebay.com. They're awfully cheap there! :( Too bad postage costs heaps...

--

Bah <[email protected]> wrote:
> eug k <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I've read that when used with clipless pedals, you can increase your cycling efficiency because
>> you can "pull-up". How much of a difference does it make?
>
> That isnt even half of it, you always have your foot right on the sweet spot for pedaling, you
> dont fall off when the terrain is a bit bumpy etc.

ah, that brings me to another question.. which actually might be more suited to a new thread, but
i'll ask anyway.

I've got a pretty old road bike with shimano 600 derailleurs. Sometimes when pedalling hard up a
hill, the chain slips a tooth or so and can throw me off balance for a bit, especially on the
downstroke. Is it a problem with the chain, or the derailleurs, or the color of my socks, or .....?

>> Any other advantages? I ride a road bike, and do a bit of walking to get to places after I cycle.
>
> I have spd and they are ok to walk in, you can get some very hardwearing casual style answer(?)
> brand shoes. Mine pretty much look like they did when I bought them a few years ago and the sole
> is really only a little worn where I put my foot down.

hm, i'm limited by price though, so I can't ask for much I guess.

>> The shop had this pair of Nike Katos for $150. Anyone knows if that's a good price?
>
> I have tried some nikes on, at a nike outlet in perth, and they were the cheapest, crummiest, most
> sh*t feeling shoes I have ever tried, of course ymmv!

Hmm... looks like i'll have to spend quite a bit of time trying on different pairs. I've got wide
feet, and have always had problems getting the right shoes.

thanks!

--
[email protected] is a valid email address. Don't remove anything!

> You will never know how you did without them. Riding is so much more
: > enjoyable.
:
: hrm, I can only afford to "step-up" one at a time, i.e. shoes first, then pedals. Is the
: difference that apparent when used with normal pedals?

You can get pedals fairly cheap if you want to upgrade later. Just get some cheapies to start with.
The shoes by themselves only give you a slight advantage through their stiffness without pedals. I
would save a little more and get them both together. Just shop around asking what cheapish packages
are going. Cheap is better than nothing. You will enjoy them trust me.

"eug k" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> hi,

<snip>

> The shop had this pair of Nike Katos for $150. Anyone knows if that's a good price?
>
> http://www.wheel2wheel4bikes.com/products.php?mcat=3&scat=67&prodid=127
>
> and finally... is there like a well-known place in Brisbane that sells shoes and nicks at really
> good prices?

Have a look at Phantom Cycles. They are a very reputable on-line store.

www.phantomcycles.com.au

They have shoes ranging from $98 upwards. I like the sound of their Answer Pallisades shoes
for $138.95

Cheers Peter

"eug k" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote: hm, i was always under the impression that any shop in the city would be
pricey, due to
> high rent. Went past Victor Cycles (it's the one with tons of jerseys on
the wall right?)
> several times. They even look expensive. :) will check them both out
anyway, thanks.

> What about the bigger places like Riders Cyclery, Logan Road Cycles, etc?
Is it like
> the retail trade where bigger = higher volume = cheaper?

I haven't found this to be the case. For cheap parts for K-mart bikes you might find the big
suburban places cheaper. For anything further up in the market, you need to shop around and the city
shops are competitive. I "browse" fairly regularly and keep an eye out for good stuff on sale.
Often, I find that the stuff I want is only available in one place anyway.

Ciao,

AndyB

Sometimes when
: pedalling hard up a hill, the chain slips a tooth or so and can throw me
off
: balance for a bit, especially on the downstroke. Is it a problem with the chain, or the
: derailleurs, or the color of my socks, or .....?

Could be a couple of things. Maybe your derailleur needs adjustment. Its trying to change gear. Most
likely though your chain is stretched (not really stretched but the length between links has
increased. This requires replacement of the chain and most likely cluster as well.

Check this link out... http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

look at chain stretch and also "Chain & Sprocket wear"

Cheers Pete

BB&H is always cheap. Try River City at Yeronga or Tom Wallace at Lutwyche.

In fact Ol' John at River City has been trying to get rid of old Carnac stock (road only) for ages.
Some unfortunate styling disasters amoungst them too as you would expect. He also nearly always has
a bit of sale stuff kicking around.

scott

"eug k" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote:
> > eug k wrote: <<snip>>
> >>The shop had this pair of Nike Katos for $150. Anyone knows if that's a good price?
> >
> > Victor Cycles had Nikes for about $130. I'm not sure if they were Katos
or not.

> >>http://www.wheel2wheel4bikes.com/products.php?mcat=3&scat=67&prodid=127
> >>
> >>and finally... is there like a well-known place in Brisbane that sells shoes and nicks at really
> >>good prices?
> >
> > I've found that prices really vary quite a lot from store to store. The
bike shop on Albert Street
> > (Brisbane Bicycle Sales and Hire) is often a bit cheaper than some of
the other stores. For example,
> > they had Shimano shoes for $140 whilst Victor Cycles just around the
corner in Charlotte Street had them
> > for $160. However Victor Cycles had a much better range of shoes.
Bottom line is that it pays to shop
> > around.
>
> Hi,
>
> hm, i was always under the impression that any shop in the city would be
pricey, due to
> high rent. Went past Victor Cycles (it's the one with tons of jerseys on
the wall right?)
> several times. They even look expensive. :) will check them both out
anyway, thanks.

> What about the bigger places like Riders Cyclery, Logan Road Cycles, etc?
Is it like
> the retail trade where bigger = higher volume = cheaper?
>

> thanks
>
> --
> [email protected] is a valid email address. Don't remove
anything!

John Doe <[email protected]> wrote:
> : > You will never know how you did without them. Riding is so much more enjoyable.
> :
> : hrm, I can only afford to "step-up" one at a time, i.e. shoes first, then pedals. Is the
> : difference that apparent when used with normal pedals?
>
> You can get pedals fairly cheap if you want to upgrade later. Just get some cheapies to start
> with. The shoes by themselves only give you a slight advantage through their stiffness without
> pedals. I would save a little more and get them both together. Just shop around asking what
> cheapish packages are going. Cheap is better than nothing. You will enjoy them trust me.

alright, will start looking for cheap ones then. Hopefully I can get a cheap used one off ebay or
something. Is there a major difference between the different standards, and different brands or
models? I've seen a new pair for $69.

thanks

--

On 5 Apr 2003 10:00:21 GMT, eug k <[email protected]> wrote:

>John Doe <[email protected]> wrote:
>> : > You will never know how you did without them. Riding is so much more enjoyable.
>> :
>> : hrm, I can only afford to "step-up" one at a time, i.e. shoes first, then pedals. Is the
>> : difference that apparent when used with normal pedals?
>>
>> You can get pedals fairly cheap if you want to upgrade later. Just get some cheapies to start
>> with. The shoes by themselves only give you a slight advantage through their stiffness without
>> pedals. I would save a little more and get them both together. Just shop around asking what
>> cheapish packages are going. Cheap is better than nothing. You will enjoy them trust me.
>
>alright, will start looking for cheap ones then. Hopefully I can get a cheap used one off ebay or
>something. Is there a major difference between the different standards, and different brands or
>models? I've seen a new pair for $69.
>

>thanks

I got shimano pedals PDM505 + Lake MX80 shoes for $169 + 6$ P&H from www.bikes.com.au . Pedals were
temporary out of stock, so took them 2 weeks to arrive, but they shipped for free to compensate. The
shoe by themselves retail for around $120 so I thought it was a good deal.

Go to a few local bike shops first to figure out what size you are.

cheers damo

I got shimano pedals PDM505 + Lake MX80 shoes for $169 + 6$ P&H from
: www.bikes.com.au . Pedals were temporary out of stock, so took them 2 weeks to arrive, but they
: shipped for free to compensate. The shoe by themselves retail for around $120 so I thought it was
: a good deal.
:
: Go to a few local bike shops first to figure out what size you are.
:
This is a pretty good deal but some LBS might come close to that anyway - not sure been a few years
since I have bought shoes/pedals in Aus.

> I'm also interested in an outlet that sells wider casual style MTB shoes. I have a pair of
> Carnacs, but they aren't the best for walking around in & the bright yellow isn't exactly an
> understated look.

Not sure what shops - but I have a pair of John Luck MTB SPD compatible shoes..

The cleat is inset so it doesnt hit the ground when walking.

Also look at the Lake shoes - they have street shoe styles...

Cant tell you about any shops in Brisbane - but in Melbourne try The Freedom Machine in South Yarra,
Mascot Cycles in Richmond, Cecil Walker in the CBD and Bike Life in Hawthorn

damo <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 5 Apr 2003 10:00:21 GMT, eug k <[email protected]> wrote:
>>John Doe <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> You can get pedals fairly cheap if you want to upgrade later. Just get some cheapies to start
>>> with. The shoes by themselves only give you a slight advantage through their stiffness without
>>> pedals. I would save a little more and get them both together. Just shop around asking what
>>> cheapish packages are going. Cheap is better than nothing. You will enjoy them trust me.
>>
>>alright, will start looking for cheap ones then. Hopefully I can get a cheap used one off ebay or
>>something. Is there a major difference between the different standards, and different brands or
>>models? I've seen a new pair for $69.
>>

> I got shimano pedals PDM505 + Lake MX80 shoes for $169 + 6$ P&H from www.bikes.com.au . Pedals
> were temporary out of stock, so took them 2 weeks to arrive, but they shipped for free to
> compensate. The shoe by themselves retail for around $120 so I thought it was a good deal.

shucks, seems like they're out of PDM505s. Must have been replaced by the 515s at $79. Looks like
you got a good deal!

--
[email protected] is a valid email address. Don't remove anything!