shoes and cleats

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Jon_H, Jun 16, 2005.

  1. Jon_H

    Jon_H Guest

    I have cycled for about 6 months now with cycling shoes and look cleats,
    they are fine when i'm sat down pedaling away and are easier than just a
    pair of shoes.

    the trouble I have is uphill, I have a tendancy to want to lift my heels and
    push down with the ball of my foot which is imposible with cycling shoes as
    the soles are too stiff. I can climb hills faster and smoother on my
    mountainbike with panniers fitted and ordinary pedals than i can with the
    road bike and aforementioned shoes and cleats.

    are their any shoes that have a bit of flex in them that will fit a look
    cleat.

    cheers
    Jon_H

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Jon_H wrote:

    > the trouble I have is uphill, I have a tendancy to want to lift my heels and
    > push down with the ball of my foot which is imposible with cycling shoes as
    > the soles are too stiff.

    I don't really understand the problem. As long as your ankle is flexing
    there's nothing stopping your heels coming up relative to your forefoot
    even with a rigid bar under your foot.

    > I can climb hills faster and smoother on my
    > mountainbike with panniers fitted and ordinary pedals than i can with the
    > road bike and aforementioned shoes and cleats.

    This suggests to me you either have a very odd pedalling action, maybe
    your cleats are set too far forward (so the pivot point allowing your
    heel to rise is in the wrong place), or some combination of the above.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  3. Jon_H

    Jon_H Guest

    > Jon_H wrote:
    >
    > > the trouble I have is uphill, I have a tendancy to want to lift my heels

    and
    > > push down with the ball of my foot which is imposible with cycling shoes

    as
    > > the soles are too stiff.

    > I don't really understand the problem. As long as your ankle is flexing
    > there's nothing stopping your heels coming up relative to your forefoot
    > even with a rigid bar under your foot.
    >
    > > I can climb hills faster and smoother on my
    > > mountainbike with panniers fitted and ordinary pedals than i can with

    the
    > > road bike and aforementioned shoes and cleats.

    > This suggests to me you either have a very odd pedalling action, maybe
    > your cleats are set too far forward (so the pivot point allowing your
    > heel to rise is in the wrong place), or some combination of the above.
    >
    > Pete.
    > --
    > Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    > Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    > Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    > net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

    If i do felx my ankle then my toes will be pointing down which makes it even
    more awkward to pedal. The cleats are set as far back as they can go. If you
    can imagine bending your toes back fully so that only the ball of your foot
    and toes touch and pushing down. a bit like standing on tip toes. the
    inflexability of the cycling shoe does not allow for this movement thats why
    i find it uncomfortable.

    I used to sprint on my toes when i was at school and i was pretty fast then
    (not now) but it is a bad running style to adopt.

    cheers
    Jon_H

  4. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Jon_H wrote:

    > If i do felx my ankle then my toes will be pointing down

    and...?

    > which makes it even more awkward to pedal.

    Well, if that's what you find then that's what you find, but that's
    completely normal for people who ankle through the pedal stroke, which
    isn't exactly unusual. The power should be transmitted through the sole
    of the shoe, not through your toes which are basically irrelevant for
    pedalling.

    But if you don't get on with stiff soles you may be better looking at
    MTB shoes and compatible pedals. Looks are aimed at roadies, who
    generally consider stiff soles to be a /good/ thing.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Jon_H wrote:
    > If i do felx my ankle then my toes will be pointing down which makes
    > it even more awkward to pedal. The cleats are set as far back as they
    > can go. If you can imagine bending your toes back fully so that only
    > the ball of your foot and toes touch and pushing down. a bit like
    > standing on tip toes. the inflexability of the cycling shoe does not
    > allow for this movement thats why i find it uncomfortable.

    I think I know what you mean, but you'd loose more overall than you would
    gain with more flexible soles. Stiff shoes are more efficient because
    less energy is wasted in flexing the shoe and more force in total is
    transfered to the pedal. Professional racing cyclists wouldn't use them
    otherwise.

    It's possible to press the balls of the feet down firmly enough for strong
    pedalling without raising toes. In any case, there should be room inside
    the shoes for a little bit of toe raising if that's what you want to do.

    I don't know of any Look-compatible shoes with relatively flexible soles.
    You could consider SPD type shoes if you do want more flexibility.
    Alternatively, just use a lower gear and take the hills more gently (if
    not racing).

    ~PB