shoes and pedals or crankset???

tehpr3chr

Jul 29, 2004
i'm trying to decide which modification to purchase for my bike next...i know this will probably spark debate if i don't state certain constraints, so here's my limits...i know that i want either a crankset, shoes, or pedals....i was thinking about the ultegra crankset, and complete ultegra setup ultimately, but wasn't sure how it stood up to dura-ace...i can't afford campy, so that's outta the question...if i get pedals i was planning on the speedplay pedals, and i'll probably get some louis garneau or diadora shoes to go w/ em...right now i'm running those "stock" giant ocr2 pedals w/ mountain biking shoes for my "clip-ins"...so do i go ultegra crank, dura-ace crank, or even fsa(carbon...drool...)....what do you guys think about speedplays and lg's, or dia's?

There's usually not too much performance gained from upgrading a perfectly good crankset. The best bang for your buck is probably going to be the shoes.

well right now i'm riding the truvativ stock three ring one...not too happy w/ the three ring, and would like to buy and get used to a double ring before the big rides later this year (blood, sweat, and gears; 6 gap; big red apple brawl)

the DA crank set does look very cool. but i would agree the biggest benefit could be from the shoes.

i think i will go shoes first, but anyone have any ideas on the fsa pro team crank?

If you replace your current crankset (a triple) with a new one (a double), you will need to change your bottom bracket as well. The shoes and pedals will provide the most real world gain I'd think.

I with the majority on this one. I own a pair of Diadora Team Racers and I absolutely love 'em. My buddy has a FSA crank, nothing bad said about it. I personally have a Stronglight Pulsion and it's served me quite well.