Shoes and pedals?

Buffalo Dude

Jun 5, 2006
I think I'm ready to go up to the next level of seriousness. Up until now I've been using conventional pedals with toe clips/straps, but I'm ready to progress. I've got two sets of clipless pedals right now from bikes that I've bought; a set of Look and a set of X5 speedplay. Both look to be in good shape. I'm more of a recreational/commuter cyclist than a serious, hardcore cyclist.

So I'm wondering what set of pedals I should go with and I'm looking for recommendations on shoes. My feet are wider, and if a manufacturer has a wider fitting shoe that would make me more comfortable. Thoughts? Opinions?

Pictures of pedals:
bike6.jpg

bike7.jpg

IMG_2272-1.jpg

Many like Look for the larger platform. Some like speedplay pedals for the larger float (allowed angle of foot movement). Some say that speedplay has too much float feeling like riding on ice.

In many ways Look pedals are standard de facto for road cycling. Another standard de facto are Sidi shoes. They are expensive but also the best.
Sidi shoes for wide feet are Mega series. Some thing like http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesomewhere.cfm/product/31/149/2984?g=1.

I have found that some Nike shoes seem to be wider fitting

One of the key things with shoes is stiffness of the sole: minimum flex is good.

I use Sidi shoes: thier Mega is the only one I've found that work with my very wide forefoot. They are actually about the most comfortable footwear I own...

Pedalwise, I really admire people who can ride clipless in traffic conditions with stoplights: if that's what your commute is like, be careful! Practice snapping in and out a LOT before you enter the fray. I'd be really surprised if you don't take a few falls when you first start ridding clipless.

I have crank bros. Mallets on my Mtn bike because the platform works fine with sneakers when I don't want to be fastened in. I have crank bros candies on the road bike I ride only on wide open roads where dismounts are a little more foreseeable.

Since you say your more of a recreational/commuter cyclist I strongly recommend that you dump the road pedals on eBay and pick-up a pair of "mountain bike" (SPD, Time, Crank Bros., etc...) pedlas that allow you to use a shoe with a recessed cleat. These pedals allow you to get off the bike and walk around in normal fashion rather than walking like an injured penguin.