Shoes boot & clipless pedals

Antonio

Guest
Hello,
how do I tell which type of pedal is compatible with which type of shoes,
I will probably buy off Ebay ,nothing where I live,but most of the times
the type is not stated ,
can the shoe be modified,
Any Other tips.I mostly do road ride
t.i.a.

Antonio wrote:
> Hello,
> how do I tell which type of pedal is compatible with which type of shoes,
> I will probably buy off Ebay ,nothing where I live,but most of the times
> the type is not stated ,
> can the shoe be modified,
> Any Other tips.I mostly do road ride
> t.i.a.

The pedals should come with cleats, which should be compatible with most
kinds of shoes.

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 12:13:21 -0700, Bill Henry
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Antonio wrote:
>> Hello,
>> how do I tell which type of pedal is compatible with which type of shoes,
>> I will probably buy off Ebay ,nothing where I live,but most of the times
>> the type is not stated ,
>> can the shoe be modified,
>> Any Other tips.I mostly do road ride
>> t.i.a.

>The pedals should come with cleats, which should be compatible with most
>kinds of shoes.

That isn't necessarily true. The only style of cleat that is usually
compatable with most shoes are ones listed as SPD compatable.

Rather than buy off Ebay, why not check out Nashbar or PerformanceBike
online. They all sell a variety of pedals and shoes in all price
ranges. And they will let you return, if not right.
http://www.nashbar.com/
http://www.performancebike.com/

There are mtb[mountain bike] pedals and shoes, these generally have a
recessed area to mount an SPD compatable cleat. These types of shoes
will often have two sets of two holes, to mount the SPD compatable
clea, which uses two bolts to mount. Because the cleats are recessed,
these shoes can be used for walking, although they will be stiff.

If you want to use a road pedal, like a Look or Time brand, you then
need a road shoe, these are usually flat bottomed, meaning no recess,
and will have a variety of three and four holes, for mounting the
cleats. Look and Shimano SPD-SL cleats mount using three bolts. Road
cleats are usually larger than mtb cleats. Road shoes with cleats
mounted are hard to walk in, usually you will waddle like a duck, when
wearing them.

Modifying a shoe would be difficult and/or costly, certainly not
necessary. You mentioned boot in your header, while a few companies
make cold weather riding shoes, they are pricey. The cheaper and maybe
better way to go is with a neoprene bootie, which has an open bottom
area for the cleat.

If you go to the websites above and look at the pedals, shoes, and
cleats, it will start to make sense.

Bill Henry, you need to stop giving advice, when you don't really know
what you are talking about.

Life is Good!
Jeff