Shoes carbon or not?

nath1

Mar 10, 2006
Hi all, simple question really, do you think that plastic soled shoes are as stiff as carbon, is there really a big diffrence between the two composites? i have only been cycling for about 2 years, so the shoes i have now whcih are adidas froscos are about dead so im looking for a knew pair. It seems that adidas froscos are almost imposible to get, so its a matter of being confident with a diffrent brand, althought i realise that most brands will all be good quality im more worried about the fit. What complicates the mateer is that i use time pedals and not all shoes are time friendly ,any recomendations? thanks.

Hi

I'd have a look at the Shimano 215b, carbon sole, ratchet closure, ventilated sole and great value for money compared to the italian shoes.

http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycle/products/shoe.jsp?JSESSIONID=GJQyqhwGr2JrnBK1jQpQ4GQ8zpNXpY35mJ7cPGYRYRT1MTL8NWYX!277256560&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441780349&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302040273&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181419&bmUID=1142198504604

I bought a pair of Nike Hautacams from ebay, carbon sole. $USD 88. Not a bad price.

Have I noticed any difference? Well, not really. They haven't slowed me down any, but I can't say that I noticed any great improvement either.

If you just want a great pair of shoes, look at SIDI Genius. Not cheap, but very comfortable.

As JohnO says, Sidi are, IMHO of course, just about the best out there. Spend some quality time on ebay and you should be able to get a pair for a decent amount off retail. They are definitely worth the money!

And carbon soles will not make a difference in terms of performance, but they sure do make you feel faster! :cool:

Happy riding!

i have been using the shimano for 3 years now. and i just bought last years nike poggi 3 , for halfprice.. i used them last nite for the first time and all i can say is that they have way more padding and they breath alot more.

i can't notice a difference between plastic and carbon.

audio_terrorist said:
i have been using the shimano for 3 years now. and i just bought last years nike poggi 3 , for halfprice.. i used them last nite for the first time and all i can say is that they have way more padding and they breath alot more.

i can't notice a difference between plastic and carbon.
I just purchased the '05 Poggio III today also on eBay for half price; likely from same seller. I've owned a pair of Poggios since late 2002 and they have been fantastic. I look forward to the new pair being equally good. I noticed a definite difference in stiffness when I changed over from a lower end Specialized Comp shoe.

Just went for my second ride (80km) in my new Vittoria Unlimiteds. They have a carbon heart in the sole. Did I feel any difference compared with my old specialized shoes...YES. Vitts are much stiffer and seemed to allow the transfer of power to my pedals better, giving an easier or faster ride. Comfort was about the same but adjusting the ratchet strap made it easier to adjust as I rode along.

Happy with the purchase so far.

Skull

Nice one skull, i didnt know Vittoria did shoes do you have a linl to a webbsite perhap? cheers nathan.

i'm gonna piggyback on this thread cuz its pretty similar...

i've been riding with shimano indoor shoes since last fall, my first pair of actual cycling shoes. lately, i have been getting numb toes in my left foot towards the end of a ride. It happened when i rode out in the cold and at first i thought that was the reason, but this weekend i was out and it was about 60 degrees farenheit and the same sort of thing happened. they haven't been giving me any problem on the trainer, but those rides are usually an hour max, whereas this weekend i did about 3 hours.

just looking for suggestions

I second the Specialized brand. I have semi wide, but high volume feet and it was tough to find a comfortable shoe. These did the trick for me.
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=14495
They're a little less $$$ that the S-Works versions and I actually like the fit better. I noticed a HUGE difference when standing on climbs compared to my previous Sidis.

My .02
Cheers
John

P.s. Throw in a pair of grey Superfeet insoles no matter what shoe you get!