Shoes/Clothing for rain and cold?

HardwareLust

Guest
Now that the cold and rainy season is just about here again, I am extra
determined to spend as little time as possible in the gym on the treadmill
again this year. I want to spend as much time as possible outside, and that
means running in the rain and/or cold. I just cannot bear spending the next
6 months in the gym like last year. I lost so much fitness last fall/winter
because I could barely force myself to go to the gym, and I don't want that
to happen again.

What clothing and shoes can you recommend for running in the rain and cold?

Regards,
H.

>What clothing and shoes can you recommend for running in the rain and cold?

Warm ones you dumbass.

"HardwareLust" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Now that the cold and rainy season is just about here again, I am
> extra determined to spend as little time as possible in the gym on the
> treadmill again this year. I want to spend as much time as possible
> outside, and that means running in the rain and/or cold. I just
> cannot bear spending the next 6 months in the gym like last year. I
> lost so much fitness last fall/winter because I could barely force
> myself to go to the gym, and I don't want that to happen again.
>
> What clothing and shoes can you recommend for running in the rain and
> cold?

It's time for a winter clothing thread already?

Since I live in Atlanta, I'm no expert at what to wear for the bitterly
cold temps (see Dot for that stuff). However, I've had some experience in
dealing with the wet/cold combination. For me, this combination of temps
in the 30s with rain can make a run downright miserable. Getting soaked
to the skin when it's that cold can bring on hypothermia, even while
running at a good clip. What has worked best for me is a good long sleeve
t-shirt such as InSport Thermagrid 50. The zipper is nice in case you get
too warm. Cover that with either a vest or a jacket (something that will
breath yet repel the rain), such as Sugoi Excel Stretch Perk. I don't
normally wear tights, but for this situation they're a must. Loose
running pants will cause your legs to go numb once they are wet. The
shoes don't seem to matter. The socks should be coolmax or wool (not
cotton).

Phil M.

--
"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make
them all yourself." ­Martin Vanbee

Phil M. wrote:
> It's time for a winter clothing thread already?

Well, yesterday I ran in my normal shorts/singlet, and I was chilly when not
in the sun, so it's getting closer...

> Since I live in Atlanta, I'm no expert at what to wear for the
> bitterly cold temps (see Dot for that stuff). However, I've had some
> experience in dealing with the wet/cold combination. For me, this
> combination of temps in the 30s with rain can make a run downright
> miserable. Getting soaked to the skin when it's that cold can bring
> on hypothermia, even while running at a good clip. What has worked
> best for me is a good long sleeve t-shirt such as InSport Thermagrid
> 50. The zipper is nice in case you get too warm. Cover that with
> either a vest or a jacket (something that will breath yet repel the
> rain), such as Sugoi Excel Stretch Perk. I don't normally wear
> tights, but for this situation they're a must. Loose running pants
> will cause your legs to go numb once they are wet. The shoes don't
> seem to matter. The socks should be coolmax or wool (not cotton).

Thanks, that sounds like good advice. It does not really get bitterly cold
here (Seattle) either. Most days are above freezing, and a day or two of
snow is about it.

Any comments about headwear and/or gloves?

Regards,
H.

"HardwareLust" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Thanks, that sounds like good advice. It does not really get bitterly
> cold here (Seattle) either. Most days are above freezing, and a day
> or two of snow is about it.
>
> Any comments about headwear and/or gloves?

I should have mentioned that back in January Donovan started a thread with
some reviews of winter running clothing - http://tinyurl.com/5wtjn

Phil M.

--

Phil M. wrote:
> "HardwareLust" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, that sounds like good advice. It does not really get
>> bitterly cold here (Seattle) either. Most days are above freezing,
>> and a day or two of snow is about it.
>>
>> Any comments about headwear and/or gloves?

> I should have mentioned that back in January Donovan started a thread
> with some reviews of winter running clothing -
> http://tinyurl.com/5wtjn

Aye, that's a good thread. Why do I always forget about Google? Thanks for
pointing that out.

Regards,
H.

HardwareLust wrote:
> Now that the cold and rainy season is just about here again, I am extra
> determined to spend as little time as possible in the gym on the treadmill
> again this year. I want to spend as much time as possible outside, and that
> means running in the rain and/or cold. I just cannot bear spending the next
> 6 months in the gym like last year. I lost so much fitness last fall/winter
> because I could barely force myself to go to the gym, and I don't want that
> to happen again.
>
> What clothing and shoes can you recommend for running in the rain and cold?

Short version:

Biggest thing is to avoid cotton. If you're only going to be out a short
time (say, 30 min), cotton is probably ok is that's what you have and
didn't want to spend money. But synthetics, wool, and silk are much
better, and I would consider essential for being out in cold or wet
weather for over 1 hr - or if there's any chance of you getting lost or
injured and having to hobble home and thus taking over 1 hr or operating
at lower energy output.

I still recommend what was recommended to me to start: try duofold stuff
from Campmor for low-cost startup. If I were just running around town
for < 1hr or so at 0F and above, I still wouldn't look beyond there
(except maybe for SportHill XC pants). Sierra Trading Post also has a
lot of reduced-price gear, frequently some of the techier stuff.

In your followup post you indicate temperatures above freezing most of
the time. In this case,
(1) a base layer (PowerDry is my favorite for winter but many like
polypro or silk or any polyester),
(2) *maybe* a light insulating layer (generic polyester or acrylic at
low price end or Polartec 100 or 200, PowerStretch, or WindPro or others
at higher price end), and
(3) a shell should work.

Finding a shell with the right degree of breathability / waterproofness
for your comfort will be the biggest challenge. I personally prefer warm
sweat over cold rain. Others prefer cold rain. Beware of hypothermia as
Phil M. mentions - either way - which can be a hazard in the 50's F.

For bottoms, I use SportHill XC's from 40F and down; Voyage from 40-60.
I prefer pants since they have pockets and tights don't although I might
wear tights under shorts.

Keep in mind that different people have different levels of cold
tolerance and this can be acclimated to, the same way as heat. Cold
muscles are more likely to result in injury, so I tend to err on the
warm side when starting out, then peel layers as I go - and replace them
during warmdown.

Socks: I like SmartWool or Ultimax or Bridgedale, although I don't
remember wearing Ultimax in wet weather (usually wear in winter snow
since they're white).

I wear breathable / drainable shoes but don't have a long-term solution
for multiple hours of wet feet.

Hat: I'll usually just wear a neoprene earband down to freezing,
probably colder. Wool or synthetic knit cap in colder temperatures -
almost always gets peeled before end of run - unless subzero F. Hood
from my shell gets worn in windy weather (20-50+ mph) or about -20F
until (if?) I warm up.

Mittens are preferable to gloves because your fingers are together. I
can usually fit into kids' snow mittens. But I do like WindStopper
Gloves (wish I could find reasonable mittens) when wind is the main
issue. And I do have some fleece gloves that work surprisingly well when
weather isn't real cold.

Long version:

Good reviews on waterproof / breathable fabrics generally rank the
fabrics as to which end of the spectrum they fall - waterproof or
breathable. I've yet to see a review with a fabric ranked waterproof and
breathable enough for running. Fabrics that are breathable enough for
things like running generally won't keep rain out unless it's only
misting or drizzle. Malden Mills (NFI) used to have a slick chart on
their web page showing the various degrees of windproofness of their
fabrics, but I can't find it now. This gives some discussion of their
weather protection fabrics.
http://www.polartec.com/fabrics/weather.php
Also look at the earlier thread
"Multi-sport, all-around jacket/shell?"

90% of the time, I only need protection from the wind and maybe a mist
or drizzle or snow (usually wet snow here in southcentral Alaska), so
I'm finding a water resistant shell is what I'll use most of the time.
(latest candidate for winter is Patagonia Krushell, primarily because of
decent hood and adequate pockets and super windproofness, but it's not
waterproof and it's not particularly breathable at 50F - haven't tested
it in winter conditions yet)

I prefer a shell with a built in, but stowable, hood since their collars
come up around my neck better than a hoodless shell. And sometimes a
well-designed hood is really nice when it's windy. And poorly designed
hoods funnel the wind down your jacket, esp. if biking. A hood with a
bill is nice, but not necessary, in heavy rain to keep water from
dripping down face and into eyes.

I tend to prefer separate shells and base or insulating layer because of
the flexibility, but I do like my Marmot Evolution (1/2 price sale) for
in-between weather. I like supplex shells but can't find a good one
these days. Wind resistant and breathable (don't remember ever sweating
in it), but I don't remember about rain.

These threads deal with wet feet for long periods:
http://tinyurl.com/4cnw5
Also "Laurel Highlands" thread, about 1/2 way down
(tinyurl won't connect at the moment)

I'm not going to recommend specific models since the fabric is the most
important thing, and you can pick the model that has the characteristics
you need - pockets, hood, etc. - and fits your body. The brands that I
tend to like if I can get them for about half price (generally won't pay
full price) are Marmot, Patagonia, REI (ok at regular or slightly
reduced prices), SportHill (lighter weight insulated tops). NFI in
anything I've mentioned.

And there's no reason not to run year round in Seattle, except maybe
heat ;) I do it in Alaska.

Enjoy!

Dot

--
"I couldn't do a winter like that on the treadmill. I don't know if I
could ever be that anal again."

> Why do I always forget about Google?

Because you are a ...moron?

On 2004-09-21, HardwareLust <[email protected]> wrote:

> Any comments about headwear and/or gloves?

Yeah. You need gloves earlier than you think, your hands are even colder
running than walking (you can't put your hands in your pockets, fold your arms,
etc while you're running). If it's in the low 40s or colder, wear gloves.
Depending on how cold it gets, you may find a pair of mitts handy.

As for hats, any moderately warm hat that covers your ears and is made of
synthetic material should do.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
> On 2004-09-21, HardwareLust <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Any comments about headwear and/or gloves?

> Yeah. You need gloves earlier than you think, your hands are even
> colder running than walking (you can't put your hands in your
> pockets, fold your arms, etc while you're running). If it's in the
> low 40s or colder, wear gloves. Depending on how cold it gets, you
> may find a pair of mitts handy.
>
> As for hats, any moderately warm hat that covers your ears and is
> made of synthetic material should do.
>
> Cheers,

Do you still recommend those same gloves from last January?

"HardwareLust" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
>> On 2004-09-21, HardwareLust <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Any comments about headwear and/or gloves?

>> Yeah. You need gloves earlier than you think, your hands are even
>> colder running than walking (you can't put your hands in your
>> pockets, fold your arms, etc while you're running). If it's in the
>> low 40s or colder, wear gloves. Depending on how cold it gets, you
>> may find a pair of mitts handy.
>>
>> As for hats, any moderately warm hat that covers your ears and is
>> made of synthetic material should do.
>>
>> Cheers,

> Do you still recommend those same gloves from last January?

These worked for me when cold and raining:
http://tinyurl.com/4uqrl

Phil M.

--

"HardwareLust" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<X1L3d.5057$Ii2.4587@trnddc09>...
> Now that the cold and rainy season is just about here again, I am extra
> determined to spend as little time as possible in the gym on the treadmill
> again this year. I want to spend as much time as possible outside, and that
> means running in the rain and/or cold. I just cannot bear spending the next
> 6 months in the gym like last year. I lost so much fitness last fall/winter
> because I could barely force myself to go to the gym, and I don't want that
> to happen again.
>
> What clothing and shoes can you recommend for running in the rain and cold?
>
> Regards,
> H.

How cold how wet?

For running in cold I'm pretty comfortable in shorts and long sleeves
down to 40F. Colder than that and I put on polypro tights. The colder
it gets the thicker the tights get. Despite what everybody preaches
cotton doesn't kill, being in cotton and being cold kills. For runs
under 1 hour I don't wear special clothing, just a long sleeve cotton
race shirt. For longer I wear pollypro or something like it. As long
as you can get out of your sweaty clothing and into some warm dry
clothes or a hot shower you'll be fine.

For wet no real difference. Just be sure to have polypro clothing on
it will keep you warmer in wet conditions espeicially if you're
running hours. In a cold rain I'll also wear a hat either plain old
baseball or knit.

You'll have to discover your own rules. Everybody is different. There
are 2 guys in my running club who are dressed opposite in the cold.
One has shorts on in freezing weather and the other is layering up in
the mid 50's.

Just remember to have someplace to warm up after if the experiment
goes wrong. And always remember to keep the little general warm. There
will be hell to pay if you let him freeze.

Andy

HardwareLust wrote:

> What clothing and shoes can you recommend for running in the rain and cold?
>
> Regards,
> H.

I thought you were a cyclist too?? I wear winter cycling tights (without
the butt padding) when it's cold and wet. And the same shirts (silk or
synthetic) that I would wear under a jersey when riding in similar
weather. Also, I've had good luck with tights made for kayaking,
although some of those are kind of plastic feeling, i would avoid those.
The few times I've worn a cycling jacket when running, it's been way too
hot, although I think it work fine if the temp goes low enough.

Seattle also,
-J

On 2004-09-22, HardwareLust <[email protected]> wrote:
> Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
>> On 2004-09-21, HardwareLust <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Any comments about headwear and/or gloves?

>> Yeah. You need gloves earlier than you think, your hands are even
>> colder running than walking (you can't put your hands in your
>> pockets, fold your arms, etc while you're running). If it's in the
>> low 40s or colder, wear gloves. Depending on how cold it gets, you
>> may find a pair of mitts handy.
>>
>> As for hats, any moderately warm hat that covers your ears and is
>> made of synthetic material should do.
>>
>> Cheers,

> Do you still recommend those same gloves from last January?

Sorry about the time lag in responding. Yes. Actually, there are a bunch
of brands that make gloves: sugoi, hind, sporthill, asics, etc etc. Any of
these should be pretty good. Depending on how cold it is, you may want mitts.

Cheers,