Shoes/Clothing for rain and cold?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by HardwareLust, Sep 20, 2004.

  1. HardwareLust

    HardwareLust Guest

    Now that the cold and rainy season is just about here again, I am extra
    determined to spend as little time as possible in the gym on the treadmill
    again this year. I want to spend as much time as possible outside, and that
    means running in the rain and/or cold. I just cannot bear spending the next
    6 months in the gym like last year. I lost so much fitness last fall/winter
    because I could barely force myself to go to the gym, and I don't want that
    to happen again.

    What clothing and shoes can you recommend for running in the rain and cold?

    Regards,
    H.

    Tags:

  2. Barf Bag

    Barf Bag Guest

    >What clothing and shoes can you recommend for running in the rain and cold?

    Warm ones you dumbass.

  3. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    "HardwareLust" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Now that the cold and rainy season is just about here again, I am
    > extra determined to spend as little time as possible in the gym on the
    > treadmill again this year. I want to spend as much time as possible
    > outside, and that means running in the rain and/or cold. I just
    > cannot bear spending the next 6 months in the gym like last year. I
    > lost so much fitness last fall/winter because I could barely force
    > myself to go to the gym, and I don't want that to happen again.
    >
    > What clothing and shoes can you recommend for running in the rain and
    > cold?

    It's time for a winter clothing thread already?

    Since I live in Atlanta, I'm no expert at what to wear for the bitterly
    cold temps (see Dot for that stuff). However, I've had some experience in
    dealing with the wet/cold combination. For me, this combination of temps
    in the 30s with rain can make a run downright miserable. Getting soaked
    to the skin when it's that cold can bring on hypothermia, even while
    running at a good clip. What has worked best for me is a good long sleeve
    t-shirt such as InSport Thermagrid 50. The zipper is nice in case you get
    too warm. Cover that with either a vest or a jacket (something that will
    breath yet repel the rain), such as Sugoi Excel Stretch Perk. I don't
    normally wear tights, but for this situation they're a must. Loose
    running pants will cause your legs to go numb once they are wet. The
    shoes don't seem to matter. The socks should be coolmax or wool (not
    cotton).

    Phil M.

    --
    "Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make
    them all yourself." ­Martin Vanbee

  4. HardwareLust

    HardwareLust Guest

    Phil M. wrote:
    > It's time for a winter clothing thread already?

    Well, yesterday I ran in my normal shorts/singlet, and I was chilly when not
    in the sun, so it's getting closer...

    > Since I live in Atlanta, I'm no expert at what to wear for the
    > bitterly cold temps (see Dot for that stuff). However, I've had some
    > experience in dealing with the wet/cold combination. For me, this
    > combination of temps in the 30s with rain can make a run downright
    > miserable. Getting soaked to the skin when it's that cold can bring
    > on hypothermia, even while running at a good clip. What has worked
    > best for me is a good long sleeve t-shirt such as InSport Thermagrid
    > 50. The zipper is nice in case you get too warm. Cover that with
    > either a vest or a jacket (something that will breath yet repel the
    > rain), such as Sugoi Excel Stretch Perk. I don't normally wear
    > tights, but for this situation they're a must. Loose running pants
    > will cause your legs to go numb once they are wet. The shoes don't
    > seem to matter. The socks should be coolmax or wool (not cotton).

    Thanks, that sounds like good advice. It does not really get bitterly cold
    here (Seattle) either. Most days are above freezing, and a day or two of
    snow is about it.

    Any comments about headwear and/or gloves?

    Regards,
    H.

  5. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    "HardwareLust" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Thanks, that sounds like good advice. It does not really get bitterly
    > cold here (Seattle) either. Most days are above freezing, and a day
    > or two of snow is about it.
    >
    > Any comments about headwear and/or gloves?

    I should have mentioned that back in January Donovan started a thread with
    some reviews of winter running clothing - http://tinyurl.com/5wtjn

    Phil M.

    --
    "Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make
    them all yourself." ­Martin Vanbee

  6. HardwareLust

    HardwareLust Guest

    Phil M. wrote:
    > "HardwareLust" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks, that sounds like good advice. It does not really get
    >> bitterly cold here (Seattle) either. Most days are above freezing,
    >> and a day or two of snow is about it.
    >>
    >> Any comments about headwear and/or gloves?

    > I should have mentioned that back in January Donovan started a thread
    > with some reviews of winter running clothing -
    > http://tinyurl.com/5wtjn

    Aye, that's a good thread. Why do I always forget about Google? Thanks for
    pointing that out.

    Regards,
    H.

  7. Dot

    Dot Guest

    HardwareLust wrote:
    > Now that the cold and rainy season is just about here again, I am extra
    > determined to spend as little time as possible in the gym on the treadmill
    > again this year. I want to spend as much time as possible outside, and that
    > means running in the rain and/or cold. I just cannot bear spending the next
    > 6 months in the gym like last year. I lost so much fitness last fall/winter
    > because I could barely force myself to go to the gym, and I don't want that
    > to happen again.
    >
    > What clothing and shoes can you recommend for running in the rain and cold?

    Short version:

    Biggest thing is to avoid cotton. If you're only going to be out a short
    time (say, 30 min), cotton is probably ok is that's what you have and
    didn't want to spend money. But synthetics, wool, and silk are much
    better, and I would consider essential for being out in cold or wet
    weather for over 1 hr - or if there's any chance of you getting lost or
    injured and having to hobble home and thus taking over 1 hr or operating
    at lower energy output.

    I still recommend what was recommended to me to start: try duofold stuff
    from Campmor for low-cost startup. If I were just running around town
    for < 1hr or so at 0F and above, I still wouldn't look beyond there
    (except maybe for SportHill XC pants). Sierra Trading Post also has a
    lot of reduced-price gear, frequently some of the techier stuff.

    In your followup post you indicate temperatures above freezing most of
    the time. In this case,
    (1) a base layer (PowerDry is my favorite for winter but many like
    polypro or silk or any polyester),
    (2) *maybe* a light insulating layer (generic polyester or acrylic at
    low price end or Polartec 100 or 200, PowerStretch, or WindPro or others
    at higher price end), and
    (3) a shell should work.

    Finding a shell with the right degree of breathability / waterproofness
    for your comfort will be the biggest challenge. I personally prefer warm
    sweat over cold rain. Others prefer cold rain. Beware of hypothermia as
    Phil M. mentions - either way - which can be a hazard in the 50's F.

    For bottoms, I use SportHill XC's from 40F and down; Voyage from 40-60.
    I prefer pants since they have pockets and tights don't although I might
    wear tights under shorts.

    Keep in mind that different people have different levels of cold
    tolerance and this can be acclimated to, the same way as heat. Cold
    muscles are more likely to result in injury, so I tend to err on the
    warm side when starting out, then peel layers as I go - and replace them
    during warmdown.

    Socks: I like SmartWool or Ultimax or Bridgedale, although I don't
    remember wearing Ultimax in wet weather (usually wear in winter snow
    since they're white).

    I wear breathable / drainable shoes but don't have a long-term solution
    for multiple hours of wet feet.

    Hat: I'll usually just wear a neoprene earband down to freezing,
    probably colder. Wool or synthetic knit cap in colder temperatures -
    almost always gets peeled before end of run - unless subzero F. Hood
    from my shell gets worn in windy weather (20-50+ mph) or about -20F
    until (if?) I warm up.

    Mittens are preferable to gloves because your fingers are together. I
    can usually fit into kids' snow mittens. But I do like WindStopper
    Gloves (wish I could find reasonable mittens) when wind is the main
    issue. And I do have some fleece gloves that work surprisingly well when
    weather isn't real cold.

    Long version:

    Good reviews on waterproof / breathable fabrics generally rank the
    fabrics as to which end of the spectrum they fall - waterproof or
    breathable. I've yet to see a review with a fabric ranked waterproof and
    breathable enough for running. Fabrics that are breathable enough for
    things like running generally won't keep rain out unless it's only
    misting or drizzle. Malden Mills (NFI) used to have a slick chart on
    their web page showing the various degrees of windproofness of their
    fabrics, but I can't find it now. This gives some discussion of their
    weather protection fabrics.
    http://www.polartec.com/fabrics/weather.php
    Also look at the earlier thread
    "Multi-sport, all-around jacket/shell?"

    90% of the time, I only need protection from the wind and maybe a mist
    or drizzle or snow (usually wet snow here in southcentral Alaska), so
    I'm finding a water resistant shell is what I'll use most of the time.
    (latest candidate for winter is Patagonia Krushell, primarily because of
    decent hood and adequate pockets and super windproofness, but it's not
    waterproof and it's not particularly breathable at 50F - haven't tested
    it in winter conditions yet)

    I prefer a shell with a built in, but stowable, hood since their collars
    come up around my neck better than a hoodless shell. And sometimes a
    well-designed hood is really nice when it's windy. And poorly designed
    hoods funnel the wind down your jacket, esp. if biking. A hood with a
    bill is nice, but not necessary, in heavy rain to keep water from
    dripping down face and into eyes.

    I tend to prefer separate shells and base or insulating layer because of
    the flexibility, but I do like my Marmot Evolution (1/2 price sale) for
    in-between weather. I like supplex shells but can't find a good one
    these days. Wind resistant and breathable (don't remember ever sweating
    in it), but I don't remember about rain.

    These threads deal with wet feet for long periods:
    http://tinyurl.com/4cnw5
    Also "Laurel Highlands" thread, about 1/2 way down
    (tinyurl won't connect at the moment)

    I'm not going to recommend specific models since the fabric is the most
    important thing, and you can pick the model that has the characteristics
    you need - pockets, hood, etc. - and fits your body. The brands that I
    tend to like if I can get them for about half price (generally won't pay
    full price) are Marmot, Patagonia, REI (ok at regular or slightly
    reduced prices), SportHill (lighter weight insulated tops). NFI in
    anything I've mentioned.

    And there's no reason not to run year round in Seattle, except maybe
    heat ;) I do it in Alaska.

    Enjoy!

    Dot

    --
    "I couldn't do a winter like that on the treadmill. I don't know if I
    could ever be that anal again."

  8. Barf Bag

    Barf Bag Guest

    >Any comments about headwear

    First get a head.

  9. Barf Bag

    Barf Bag Guest

    > Why do I always forget about Google?

    Because you are a ...moron?

  10. On 2004-09-21, HardwareLust <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Any comments about headwear and/or gloves?

    Yeah. You need gloves earlier than you think, your hands are even colder
    running than walking (you can't put your hands in your pockets, fold your arms,
    etc while you're running). If it's in the low 40s or colder, wear gloves.
    Depending on how cold it gets, you may find a pair of mitts handy.

    As for hats, any moderately warm hat that covers your ears and is made of
    synthetic material should do.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  11. HardwareLust

    HardwareLust Guest

    Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
    > On 2004-09-21, HardwareLust <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Any comments about headwear and/or gloves?

    > Yeah. You need gloves earlier than you think, your hands are even
    > colder running than walking (you can't put your hands in your
    > pockets, fold your arms, etc while you're running). If it's in the
    > low 40s or colder, wear gloves. Depending on how cold it gets, you
    > may find a pair of mitts handy.
    >
    > As for hats, any moderately warm hat that covers your ears and is
    > made of synthetic material should do.
    >
    > Cheers,

    Do you still recommend those same gloves from last January?

  12. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    "HardwareLust" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
    >> On 2004-09-21, HardwareLust <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Any comments about headwear and/or gloves?

    >> Yeah. You need gloves earlier than you think, your hands are even
    >> colder running than walking (you can't put your hands in your
    >> pockets, fold your arms, etc while you're running). If it's in the
    >> low 40s or colder, wear gloves. Depending on how cold it gets, you
    >> may find a pair of mitts handy.
    >>
    >> As for hats, any moderately warm hat that covers your ears and is
    >> made of synthetic material should do.
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > Do you still recommend those same gloves from last January?

    These worked for me when cold and raining:
    http://tinyurl.com/4uqrl

    Phil M.

    --
    "Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make
    them all yourself." ­Martin Vanbee

  13. amh

    amh Guest

    "HardwareLust" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Now that the cold and rainy season is just about here again, I am extra
    > determined to spend as little time as possible in the gym on the treadmill
    > again this year. I want to spend as much time as possible outside, and that
    > means running in the rain and/or cold. I just cannot bear spending the next
    > 6 months in the gym like last year. I lost so much fitness last fall/winter
    > because I could barely force myself to go to the gym, and I don't want that
    > to happen again.
    >
    > What clothing and shoes can you recommend for running in the rain and cold?
    >
    > Regards,
    > H.

    How cold how wet?

    For running in cold I'm pretty comfortable in shorts and long sleeves
    down to 40F. Colder than that and I put on polypro tights. The colder
    it gets the thicker the tights get. Despite what everybody preaches
    cotton doesn't kill, being in cotton and being cold kills. For runs
    under 1 hour I don't wear special clothing, just a long sleeve cotton
    race shirt. For longer I wear pollypro or something like it. As long
    as you can get out of your sweaty clothing and into some warm dry
    clothes or a hot shower you'll be fine.

    For wet no real difference. Just be sure to have polypro clothing on
    it will keep you warmer in wet conditions espeicially if you're
    running hours. In a cold rain I'll also wear a hat either plain old
    baseball or knit.

    You'll have to discover your own rules. Everybody is different. There
    are 2 guys in my running club who are dressed opposite in the cold.
    One has shorts on in freezing weather and the other is layering up in
    the mid 50's.

    Just remember to have someplace to warm up after if the experiment
    goes wrong. And always remember to keep the little general warm. There
    will be hell to pay if you let him freeze.

    Andy

  14. jogger

    jogger Guest

    HardwareLust wrote:

    > What clothing and shoes can you recommend for running in the rain and cold?
    >
    > Regards,
    > H.

    I thought you were a cyclist too?? I wear winter cycling tights (without
    the butt padding) when it's cold and wet. And the same shirts (silk or
    synthetic) that I would wear under a jersey when riding in similar
    weather. Also, I've had good luck with tights made for kayaking,
    although some of those are kind of plastic feeling, i would avoid those.
    The few times I've worn a cycling jacket when running, it's been way too
    hot, although I think it work fine if the temp goes low enough.

    Seattle also,
    -J

  15. On 2004-09-22, HardwareLust <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
    >> On 2004-09-21, HardwareLust <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Any comments about headwear and/or gloves?

    >> Yeah. You need gloves earlier than you think, your hands are even
    >> colder running than walking (you can't put your hands in your
    >> pockets, fold your arms, etc while you're running). If it's in the
    >> low 40s or colder, wear gloves. Depending on how cold it gets, you
    >> may find a pair of mitts handy.
    >>
    >> As for hats, any moderately warm hat that covers your ears and is
    >> made of synthetic material should do.
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > Do you still recommend those same gloves from last January?

    Sorry about the time lag in responding. Yes. Actually, there are a bunch
    of brands that make gloves: sugoi, hind, sporthill, asics, etc etc. Any of
    these should be pretty good. Depending on how cold it is, you may want mitts.

    Cheers,