Shoes for Bebop cleats

Bozeman

Guest
I thought I'd get some shoes that would leave my new Bebop cleats recessed. However, at the
LBS, none of the shoes had a deep enough pocket to recess these completely. Anyone know of good
shoes for this?

Craig

"Bozeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I thought I'd get some shoes that would leave my new Bebop cleats recessed. However, at the LBS,
> none of the shoes had a deep enough pocket to recess these completely. Anyone know of good shoes
> for this?

Craig, I think the deal is that if you do manage to get the cleats recessed, you'll definitely have
to trim the knobs/cleats on the shoe quite a bit to allow the pedal axle to move freely. The BeBop's
have a very low "stack height" (what Time calls "bio position"), which is a good thing; but it does
require slight shoe modification.

I have a couple of pairs of Diadora MTB shoes (Kava and Jalapeno), which fit like a glove, and work
great with the BeBop cleats. I did have to shave a few mm off of the shoes in a couple of spots,
though. I used a utility knife - worked fine.

Email me if you need any more help. You'll love your new BeBop's. Best pedals I've ever tried.
That's all I use on all of my bikes now - mountain, road DF and recumbent.

-Barry

I've been using Bebops for several years. I use Shimano mtb shoes that have been modified with a
rotary dremel type tool. You need to "carve" a place for the pedal spindle to clear the sole of your
shoes. BTW, that place needs to be cone shaped to allow for float from side to side. In almost 4K
miles, I've only fallen once w/o being able to unclip and that was because the "pole" I thought I'd
be able to lean against at the head of a rails-to-trails was actually bendable rubber. It was an
embarrasing moment....

BentJay

Yeah, I understand the need for spindle clearance. Still, my touring shoes leave at least 1mm of
cleat sticking out, which makes the shoes effectively road shoes, not what I wanted for my
upcoming tour.

Will try the Diadora shoes, though my Diadora road shoes are not ideally shaped for my feet.

Thanks, Craig