shoes for cycling

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Dave Moore, Jul 3, 2003.

  1. Dave Moore

    Dave Moore Guest

    Hi All, I'm about to attempt a touring trip and was wondering what the best foot wear was. I'd like
    to wear normal trainers but am a bit bothered about how cold my feet can get when they're soaked and
    it's cold. I read somewhere about some waterproof socks that someone claimed would help, but can't
    remember the manufacturer. I don't want 'special' cycling shoes as I don't want to carry extras and
    my mountain bike has conventional peddle without the 'shoe clips' anyway.

    Ta, Dave

    Tags:

  2. den911

    den911 New Member

    Joined:
    May 14, 2003
    jjb sports do a mountain ridge shoe and clothing very cheap , i have a road and mountain bike and the shoe i use for my mountain bike are mountain ridge £20.00

  3. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Dave Moore" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All, I'm about to attempt a touring trip and was wondering what the best
    foot
    > wear was. I'd like to wear normal trainers but am a bit bothered about how cold my feet can get
    > when they're soaked and it's cold. I read somewhere about some waterproof socks that someone
    > claimed would help, but can't remember the manufacturer.

    Porelle drys. Sealskinz Various brands of Goretex socks.

    http://www2.evanscycles.com/frameset.html

    Pete

  4. Les Kennedy

    Les Kennedy Guest

    For £30 you can pick up a pair of Adidas SPD compatible shoes from Bourne sports. More rigid
    sole than your trainers will have - so they will be more comfortable. And you can still walk
    round in them too.

    --

    E-mail : [email protected] "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Dave Moore" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi All, I'm about to attempt a touring trip and was wondering what the best
    > foot
    > > wear was. I'd like to wear normal trainers but am a bit bothered about
    how
    > > cold my feet can get when they're soaked and it's cold. I read somewhere about some waterproof
    > > socks that someone claimed would help, but can't remember the manufacturer.
    >
    > Porelle drys. Sealskinz Various brands of Goretex socks.
    >
    > http://www2.evanscycles.com/frameset.html
    >
    > Pete

  5. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Dave Moore wrote:
    > Hi All, I'm about to attempt a touring trip and was wondering what the best foot wear was. I'd
    > like to wear normal trainers but am a bit bothered about how cold my feet can get when they're
    > soaked and it's cold. I read somewhere about some waterproof socks that someone claimed would
    > help, but can't remember the manufacturer.

    Sealskinz are the Usual Suspects. Note that these are the successor to the original Porelle Drys,
    and indeed the original Sealskinz. They're pretty good, but you can still get cold feet in them, but
    at this time of year it's not really much of a problem. I wear sandals most of the time, and if my
    feet get wet, they just dry straight out when it stops raining and no squelching.

    > I don't want 'special' cycling shoes as I don't want to carry extras and my mountain bike has
    > conventional peddle without the 'shoe clips' anyway.

    But you'd still be better off with cycling shoes. There's a very large selection now that are no
    particular problem to walk in so you don't need to carry extras, and they'll allow more comfort and
    more power to the bike. You benefit even if you use standard pedals. However, if you really don't
    want them I'd suggest an "approach shoe" from an outdoor store over trainers: the stiffer sole unit
    will, like a cycling shoe, give you better long term comfort and more power transfer to the
    transmission.

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  6. Tony R

    Tony R Guest

    "Dave Moore" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All, I'm about to attempt a touring trip and was wondering what the best
    foot
    > wear was. I'd like to wear normal trainers but am a bit bothered about how cold my feet can get
    > when they're soaked and it's cold. I read somewhere about some waterproof socks that someone
    > claimed would help, but can't remember the manufacturer. I don't want 'special' cycling shoes as
    > I don't want to carry extras and my mountain bike has conventional peddle without the 'shoe
    > clips' anyway.
    >
    > Ta, Dave

    Just before a tour is probably not the best time to change shoes in my opinion - if you find they
    start chafing 3 days out you're screwed. So I'd stick to the water resistant socks others have
    suggested. Remember, though, that they won't keep your shoes dry. In the evenings, down the pub, you
    might wish you'd found space for an extra pair. HTH, tony R.