shoes for peddles with clips

jonberkedal

Mar 16, 2011
My bike has peddles with step in clips, not cleats. I have not been able to find shoes to replace my 20 year old NB500's and are falling apart. NB does not make them any more and I have not been able to find anyone who does. Don't the shoe people know there is a huge market for these shoes????? Stiff bottom that will "grip" the peddle? I have been told to look for professional driving shoes, but that seems extreme, and I ride all winter in the rain and don't think they would stand up. Anyone have any good ideas???
Thanks
Jon

You might find a satisfactory replacement if you buy a pair of SHIMANO TOURING shoes ...

There are MANY styles ... some with laces, some with straps ...

• One looks like a Road shoe but the sole is smooth rubber with a channel for an optional-in-your-case SPD-or-equivalent cleat ...

You MAY, however, need to get a larger size toe clip due to the thicker sole ... or, not.

Of course, there are probably other brands of "touring" shoes, but I don't know what they are.

Professional driving shoes sounds like a rather bad suggestion. The have really thin soles for best (car) pedal contact and to require the least possible distance between pedal rack and steering wheel. But the deal breaker is that a car driver isn't pushing anywhere near as hard/often on the pedals as a cyclist does. And whatever pressure he uses, he's got a lot bigger and flatter pedals to take the load.

But frankly speaking, I don't think there is a huge market for old school cycling shoes any more. If you want to stay attached to the bike, you go for clipless, SPD-style pedals and shoes.

Some track riders still use clips though, but they haven't got much use for a treaded sole.

DH MTBers use fairly regular looking shoes, with grippy soles that stick well to their rather agressive flattie pedals. Don't know how stiff their soles are though.

Or you may look for a MTB shoe at the lower end of the range. It'll have laces and/or velcro strap(s), a fairly grippy and reasonably stiff sole. Just ignore the cutout for the SPD cleat.