Shoes for touring

Rik

Guest
I'm off on a 2000km trek in the summer around northern Europe. I did a
similar ride last year and it rained solidly for the first seven days.
The only real problem this caused me was wet shoes which I was never
able to dry out properly before it was time to wear them again.

As I really don't want to take spare shoes with me I'm looking to buy
a new pair which will serve me for cycling and for any walking I do
etc. Ideally they should be lightweight, waterproof and without cleats
(as I prefer toe-clips and don't really want to pay for cleats if I'm
not going to use them). I've not been able to find anything suitable
locally and wondered if:
1) I'm wasting my time looking
2) Any online suppliers?
2) Anyone got any better suggestions?

Cheers

Rik

On Fri, 14 May 2004 14:05:06 +0000 (UTC), Rik wrote:

> I'm off on a 2000km trek in the summer around northern Europe. I did a
> similar ride last year and it rained solidly for the first seven days.
> The only real problem this caused me was wet shoes which I was never
> able to dry out properly before it was time to wear them again.
>
> As I really don't want to take spare shoes with me I'm looking to buy
> a new pair which will serve me for cycling and for any walking I do
> etc. Ideally they should be lightweight, waterproof and without cleats
> (as I prefer toe-clips and don't really want to pay for cleats if I'm
> not going to use them). I've not been able to find anything suitable
> locally and wondered if:
> 1) I'm wasting my time looking
> 2) Any online suppliers?
> 2) Anyone got any better suggestions?
>
> Cheers
>
> Rik

A pair of goretex lined running shoes (usually trail shoes)?
--
Michael MacClancy
Random putdown - "A modest little person, with much to be modest about."-

Rik wrote:

> As I really don't want to take spare shoes with me I'm looking to buy
> a new pair which will serve me for cycling and for any walking I do
> etc. Ideally they should be lightweight, waterproof and without cleats
> (as I prefer toe-clips and don't really want to pay for cleats if I'm
> not going to use them).

Yur problem is living in something waterproof for 2000km. Waterproof
means less ventilation and for 2000 km in summer that means some pretty
gruesome potential for bad smells. I'd be inclined to take some
waterproof socks (e.g, Sealskinz) and/or overshoes to keep feet dry (the
overshoes will keep the shoes dry too).

Personally, I'd prefer to do it in SPuD sandals, where it doesn't matter
if they get wet, but sandals and toe clips aren't a happy combination

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Rik wrote:
> I'm off on a 2000km trek in the summer around northern Europe. I did a
> similar ride last year and it rained solidly for the first seven days.
> The only real problem this caused me was wet shoes which I was never
> able to dry out properly before it was time to wear them again.
>
> As I really don't want to take spare shoes with me I'm looking to buy
> a new pair which will serve me for cycling and for any walking I do
> etc. Ideally they should be lightweight, waterproof and without cleats
> (as I prefer toe-clips and don't really want to pay for cleats if I'm
> not going to use them).

Cleats usually come with pedals not cleats, so you won't be wasting money
on buying shoes designed for clipless pedals as long as they are
compatible with conventional pedals and toe clips.

Sorry I can't think of shoes that fit your bill. The waterproof bit is
the killer, especially if they need to be reasonably cool in warm weather
as well (?). How about solving that problem separately somehow?

~PB

> Cleats usually come with pedals not cleats,
^^^^^^^^
Sorry, that should be "not shoes", of course.

.....I'll get me gilet. I need a bike ride!

~PB

Rik wrote:
> I'm off on a 2000km trek in the summer around northern Europe. I did a
> similar ride last year and it rained solidly for the first seven days.
> The only real problem this caused me was wet shoes which I was never
> able to dry out properly before it was time to wear them again.
>
> As I really don't want to take spare shoes with me I'm looking to buy
> a new pair which will serve me for cycling and for any walking I do
> etc. Ideally they should be lightweight, waterproof and without cleats
> (as I prefer toe-clips and don't really want to pay for cleats if I'm
> not going to use them). I've not been able to find anything suitable
> locally and wondered if:
> 1) I'm wasting my time looking
> 2) Any online suppliers?
> 2) Anyone got any better suggestions?

The answer is sandals and waterproof socks. I use the Shimano sandals with
cleats but you could use any other comfortable quick drying sandal. The
advantage is you can carry several pairs of waterproof socks in a small space
so you have dry ones every day. If the weather is fine you can cycle without
socks or with normal socks.

Tony

"Rik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm off on a 2000km trek in the summer around northern Europe. I did a
> similar ride last year and it rained solidly for the first seven days.
> The only real problem this caused me was wet shoes which I was never
> able to dry out properly before it was time to wear them again.
>
> As I really don't want to take spare shoes with me I'm looking to buy
> a new pair which will serve me for cycling and for any walking I do
> etc. Ideally they should be lightweight, waterproof and without cleats
> (as I prefer toe-clips and don't really want to pay for cleats if I'm
> not going to use them). I've not been able to find anything suitable
> locally and wondered if:
> 1) I'm wasting my time looking
> 2) Any online suppliers?
> 2) Anyone got any better suggestions?

I use Shimano TO70 s (I think this year's version is TO71 - probably much
the same) for touring and long day rides. They're like a road shoe but with
a recessed cleat fixing area (that I don't use). Thus they are light, great
for riding in all day and you can still walk pretty well in them. Like you I
use toeclips and they're much better than similar quality Shimano MTB shoes
in this regard. The MTB shoes I commute in are bulkier and don't slip in and
out of the clips as easily. As far as waterproofing goes I agree entirely
with what Peter Clinch posted. I have some overshoes made by BBB that were
pretty cheap (20 euro) and keep the worst of the weather out when required.
If buying shoes online Shimano sizes are on the small side and also some
find them too narrow.

tony R.

Rik <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm off on a 2000km trek in the summer around northern Europe. I did a
> similar ride last year and it rained solidly for the first seven days.
> The only real problem this caused me was wet shoes which I was never
> able to dry out properly before it was time to wear them again.
>
> As I really don't want to take spare shoes with me I'm looking to buy
> a new pair which will serve me for cycling and for any walking I do
> etc. Ideally they should be lightweight, waterproof and without cleats
> (as I prefer toe-clips and don't really want to pay for cleats if I'm
> not going to use them). I've not been able to find anything suitable
> locally and wondered if:
> 1) I'm wasting my time looking
> 2) Any online suppliers?
> 2) Anyone got any better suggestions?
>
> Cheers
>
> Rik

Cycling in summer you don't need shoes at all. Shimano sandals are
very comfortable to walk in and your feet dry out really quickly. In
addition your feet stay well aired. They might gt a bit dusty but they
won't pong at all. You don't need to take any socks either - or spare
shoes.

Furthermore they are long lasting.

--

J u l i a n

__o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

What about traditional leather touring shoes from Carnac or Reynolds???
Surely the best option.

Jonathan
news:[email protected]...