shoes for wide feet

Paul Bobby

Guest
Have been using first pair of clipless pedals for about six months. Look pedals. Sidi shoes -which
were recommended to me at my LBS for wider feet, but still feel tight. Just tight enough to get
annoying on longer rides. Any recommendations? Look compatability a plus.

Did you get the Sidi's with the Mega designation? The Mega is an extra-wide version available in
several different Sidi lines. I have big wide feet also, usually 14 or 15 E or EEE depending on the
brand and what is available and the Sidi Mega Dominators work fine for me. Lyle

"Paul Bobby" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Have been using first pair of clipless pedals for about six months. Look pedals. Sidi shoes -which
> were recommended to me at my LBS for wider feet, but still feel tight. Just tight enough to get
> annoying on longer rides. Any recommendations? Look compatability a plus.

specialiesed seem fairly wide for me

panda

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:10:46 GMT, Paul Bobby <[email protected]> wrote:

>Have been using first pair of clipless pedals for about six months. Look pedals. Sidi shoes -which
>were recommended to me at my LBS for wider feet, but still feel tight. Just tight enough to get
>annoying on longer rides. Any recommendations? Look compatability a plus.

Are you wearing Sidi shoes or Sidi Mega shoes. I wear E width shoes and sneakers and the Megas work
great for me.

Sidi shoes without the word "Mega" are not wide.

Barry

>From: B a r r y B u r k e J r

>I wear E width shoes and sneakers and the Megas work great for me.
>
>Sidi shoes without the word "Mega" are not wide.

I have @ 11- 11- 1/2 size feet in some number of E's. I have a pair of Sidi Genius III's and one
Genius IV's in 45-1/2 that are nice and roomy for the toes, while they do not have the loose (way
too loose for me) heel fit that the 45 Megas (Genius III) that I tried on in the bike shop. The
Genius III's in 45's I had were narrow by comparison.

Tight shoes are bad news, IMO a holdover from the days of leather and laces. --Tom Paterson

PDB writes-<< Have been using first pair of clipless pedals for about six months. Look pedals. Sidi
shoes -which were recommended to me at my LBS for wider feet, but still feel tight. >><BR><BR>

Sid makes some of their shoes in 'mega' sizes, that are wider. We just had a guy that had megas buy
some Diadoras, which he said were wider as well.

Paul Bobby wrote:
> Have been using first pair of clipless pedals for about six months. Look pedals. Sidi shoes -which
> were recommended to me at my LBS for wider feet, but still feel tight. Just tight enough to get
> annoying on longer rides. Any recommendations? Look compatability a plus.

The Sidi Megas are very nice for my 10EEE feet. Also, from www.sidiusa.com:

"WHAT IS DIFFERENT ABOUT A HALF SIZE? Half sizes are constructed on the same full size last
of that model but with a fuller cut, especially in the toe box area."

I don't know if the half-size business just applies to Sidis or if it is supposed to be some
industry standard (doubtful). I haven't tested this claim recently, but years ago I had a pair of
half-size Sidis (before Megas were made) that fit tolerably.

Regards,
--
Mark Janeba remove antispam phrase in address to reply

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:10:46 GMT, Paul Bobby <[email protected]> wrote:

>Any recommendations? Look compatability a plus.

Specialized is the brand to go for if you've got wider feet. Keep in mind that different models are
made on a different last, so there will be variance. As a generalisation however, accross their
range they are wider. They could all do with higher insteps though. I am a UK7½EE and have three
pairs of Specialized. Their top of the range road x1, top of the range MTB x2.

Iguana Bwana

I got sidi mega's even though I don't have wide feet, because of a hot foot problem that I just
could not solve. It worked.

"Paul Bobby" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Have been using first pair of clipless pedals for about six months. Look pedals. Sidi shoes -which
> were recommended to me at my LBS for wider feet, but still feel tight. Just tight enough to get
> annoying on longer rides. Any recommendations? Look compatability a plus.

"Paul Bobby" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Have been using first pair of clipless pedals for about six months. Look pedals. Sidi shoes -which
> were recommended to me at my LBS for wider feet, but still feel tight. Just tight enough to get
> annoying on longer rides. Any recommendations? Look compatability a plus.

If you want to try and make your present shoes work take them to a shoe repair shop or to a running
shop and have them stretch them.

Jim Johnson

"panda" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> specialiesed seem fairly wide for me

Ditto. I put off going clipless for a long time because of my wide feet, and being too cheap to pay
$200 for Sidi megas. I finally found a pair of Specialized that seemed to fit when one of the LBS
had their big annual sale last year. A pair of ATACs off eBay and I was hooked up.

As others have mentioned, Specialized seems to be quite generous with the width of their standard
shoes. I have extra wide feet, and my Specialized MTB shoes fit very nicely.

Sasha

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:10:46 GMT, Paul Bobby <[email protected]> wrote:

>Have been using first pair of clipless pedals for about six months. Look pedals. Sidi shoes -which
>were recommended to me at my LBS for wider feet, but still feel tight. Just tight enough to get
>annoying on longer rides. Any recommendations? Look compatability a plus.

"Paul Bobby" <[email protected]> wrote...
> Have been using first pair of clipless pedals for about six months. Look pedals. Sidi shoes -which
> were recommended to me at my LBS for wider feet, but still feel tight. Just tight enough to get
> annoying on longer rides. Any recommendations? Look compatability a plus.

Has anyone looked at Lake CX 220 Xtreme? I was looking for shoes for the same problem, and I ran
across a little blurb in the latest performancebike catalog about the CX 220 Xtreme. It says, "Need
a wider width? Try the CX 220 Xtreme"

I only ask because, the Sidi Genius 4 Megas are about $220 after you buy the appropriate adapter,
and the Lakes are $100 less. I can't spend HUGE amounts of money on shoes without raising the ire of
the wife, so I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of anyone's experience with them.

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:10:46 GMT, Paul Bobby <[email protected]> wrote:

Paul, as you can see, there's lot of advice out there about wide shoes. I can assure you that no one
shoe is wider than the other, including the so-called Mega Sidis.

If you have really wide feet, like some of us with high arch abnormalities have - i.e. short feet
that are as wide as feet many sizes larger, then you will have a problem cycling, running, skating
or whatever. The fact is, that shoes aren't made wide.

I'll prove my standpoint.

Buy yourself a vernier - it can be a cheap, plastic one. You're only trying to prove a point.

Measure your current shoes at the widest point on the toe-box. Now go out and try out shoes. Sidi
Megas, Diadoras, Specializeds...anything. You'll find hem no one wider than the others.

Go over to running shoes... choose a brand like New Balance that supposedly comes in various widths.
Ask the salesman to give you a pair in E and one in EEE. Measure them. You'll see that they're
exactly the same. The difference I believe, is in the space of the toe-box. Wider shoes have more
material in the toe box, but not wider soles.

For real problem feet, the only way to go wider is to go bigger. This requires quite a few
sacrifices in cleat position, but it is worthwhile in the long run. You'll have far less pain.

Don't believe any advice given about this or that brand that is wider. Simply go shop with
a vernier.

Johan Bornman

<Johan Bornman (johanaticondotcodotza)> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Don't believe any advice given about this or that brand that is wider. Simply go shop with a
> vernier.

This is simply not true.

Peter Cole wrote:
> <Johan Bornman (johanaticondotcodotza)> wrote
>
>>Don't believe any advice given about this or that brand that is wider. Simply go shop with a
>>vernier.
> This is simply not true.

I know Sidi *claims* that their "Mega" shoes have a different sole. Haven't compared them with
calipers to test the claim, but I do believe the Megas are wider, they sure feel that way.

Regards,
--
Mark Janeba remove antispam phrase in address to reply